This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Baby Pictures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baby Pictures
    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 7:43am
This was Sat. AM. The first two.
Now have 17, out of 8 ewes and by the end on this month, should have over 200.
Sponsored Links

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 8:06am
Your gonna be a busy pappa. Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 3:39pm
Cute!!! To cute for words. I love the livestock pictures. Keep them coming. 
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 3:50pm
great pics of your babies! thanks
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 6:10pm
Here were they get to stay for a few days.

Then one of the sets of triples.

Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 10:19pm
I asked the same question over in the cattle barn. Could a female dog help keep watch and alert you as to when the ewes are ready to drop?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 10:32pm
I remember bringing in twins to the warm house basement for several days, we loved it as kids! we never got any triples tho
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 6:51am
Originally posted by Unit3 Unit3 wrote:

I asked the same question over in the cattle barn. Could a female dog help keep watch and alert you as to when the ewes are ready to drop?

I do not let any dog get close to my sheep. Stray,someone pet,guard or herding, if one shows up, it is shot.
With feed management, I can control when the ewes lamb. Only 5% of them lamb at night. I do not go to the barn at night. If one of my ewe can not have live lambs on her own, she is sold. 
I bottle feed very few lambs and that is only for 1-3 days it takes someone to come and get it.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 6:54am
What's your "business"?  Lamb meat?  Wool?  Just curious....
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

What's your "business"?  Lamb meat?  Wool?  Just curious....

I have what is called a hand spinner flock. But most hand spinner flocks have 10-20 head and I run 150+.
Most of the wool sells for $40-$50 per fleece, with the best going for $80-$100 per fleece.
Some of the wool is 8"+ long. You can view the wool on these two sites. cabinhollow2 on etsy or cabinhollowfarm.com
I sell the ram lambs as feeders and some of the ewe lambs for replacement stock.
I keep back 40-50, twin/triple born ewe lambs each year and cull my ewes hard.
The main reason for the culling is that I have a 30 day breeding season and 20% or so do not get breed.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 1:24pm
I wonder what HD6GTOM (Tom Randol) thinks about all these babies? Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 8:31pm
Cabinhollow
     This thread brings back many memories.  We had a hand spinners flock of white and natural colored sheep of all grades of wool from Delaine Marino to Karakul Hair sheep. Our Sheep & Wool business was called  "Plain & Fancy Sheep And Wool"   Henderson TX. We were members of the Natural Colored Wool Growers. Did wool shows. Taos Wool Festival was our #1 Money maker selling a single ply hand dyed Knitting /Weaving Yarn custom spun by Bob Donnley at the Taos Valley Wool Mill.  Texas A&M scoured our White only Fine wool along with some of theirs if it was free of vege.

Showed sheep in the Natural Colored Sheep Division at the  Texas State Fair.

When Sheba our Great P guard dog broke thru the pond ice and drowned and we lost 14 of our best finewool ewes and our ram to neighborhood pets. I got one of them with a load buckshot that had tags.  The owners of the others in the pack are known to have put down their own dogs to keep us from collecting damages.
      We decided it was time for us to quit.  
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 6:24am
Nap time

Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 10:48pm
Lovely, lovely, lovely. Makes the sleepless nights worth it.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 8:09am
Originally posted by Unit3 Unit3 wrote:

Lovely, lovely, lovely. Makes the sleepless nights worth it.

7 born so far today. I will get some more pictures up later.
Unit3, I do not go to the barn at night. By using feed management, 90% have their lambs from 1 hour before sunrise to 1 hour before sunset.

This picture is from last spring, but she was here yesterday to help.

Edited by cabinhollow - 10 Mar 2019 at 8:11am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 4:21pm
So far today have had 13 lambs out of 6 ewes.
Here is how I carry the ewes/lambs in from the fields. Triplets

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 2:14pm
That's darn good, hope they all live
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 3:00pm
Yesterday (3-11) ended up with 16 lambs out of 8 ewes. All alive.
So far today, I have had 13 lambs out of 6 ewes.  All alive.
Getting close to 70 lambs running around.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 8:04am
Still like around 20 ewes to lamb.
Had 22 not to get breed. Still working on the best way to do the 30 day breeding/lambing season.
Over 150 lambs born so far and most that I have lost have been preemies.
About a week ago, had 5 sets of triplets in two days and they all lived.
Sold 25, 1-2 week old lambs yesterday, but had 12 more born, so that did not cut down on my numbers much.
These will going out on grass in a week or so.
Not a good picture, about 50 took off behind the barn before I could take their picture.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 2:07am
ever any problems with coyotes?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 6:21am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

ever any problems with coyotes?

They are corral at night.
Not turned out until one hour after sunrise.
Put up one hour before sunset.
Anything that dies, gets buried deep.
Most of their pasture is at the lower end of a dead end valley.
The corral sets on top of a small ridge at the end of the valley.
Coyotes and deer do not like to go to the lower part of a dead end valley.
About 2-300 yards east and west are draws that lead to the creek.
So that were the coyotes and deer travel.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 7:32pm
Had some time to take more pictures.
They are still on dry lot, it will be a week or so before they go out on pasture.

LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 8:18pm
I wish our next door neighbor took care of his like you do. He's bad about leaving the little ones that die by freezing, I guess, to just lie around until his cousins old lab goes over and drags them home. Then my daughters Jack Russell goes over and steels them and drags them to our place. So you know who does the clean up. Deer the same way. Looked out the other day and there was probably 75 sheep in our pasture. He goes to work early, so called his wife, "Oh he's at work". so he didn't home until late. Took them home and the next morning they were right back in. Same thing yesterday and this morning. The ewes and lambs are very thin and I feel sorry for them, but I'm beginning to feel sorry for myself. We've got a very good five wire barbwire fence between us, and I'll be danged if I buy additional fencing to keep his sheep out. I'm about ready to call the law, or Shameless and see what they can do about it. Dang them things can eat a lot of grass. Done now.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 6:17am
Leon, sounds like a neighbor I have.  He doesn't talk to me anymore, because I got tired of calling and called the county cops and the DNR.  He was NOT HAPPY because he had to spend so much money fixing the line fence.  He was NOT HAPPY because I called and complained instead of talking to him.  I reminded him that I had called 10 to 15 times that spring.....what a grump.
I don't know who scared him, but one of em did.....
He finally fixed the fence and now at least, I'M HAPPY!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 1:36pm
Just got back form picking up 5 new rams. Three white and two black. That will give me 11 rams for this fall.
These are Longwool Leicester. Their wool will grow upto 7"-8" each year.

weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 2:54pm
Love these pictures,
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 7:50pm
Done with lambing, not the best year but I can live with it.
This is the 2ed season with a 30 day breeding season and I am still working out the details. 17 older ewes did not get breed and none of the ewe lambs/just turning 1 year old. That equal 1/3 of the ewes.
Got them out on grass today and they are happy.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 10:56pm
Leon....when I worked for the Sheriff in another county, a person was letting his cows go to the neighbors to get their bellies filled, that was he didn't hafta pay to feed them. he finally called us, and he showed us proof of the neighbors lack of fence responsibilities...the Sheriff told the guy that called us to lock up all of them in his barn/pen. then after he did that, we contacted a shipper, he came and loaded them all and took them to the nearest sale barn, the cows were sold, and what ever money was left over after damages, shipping, and selling, the remainder was given to the original owner. this was in NE, you might have the same laws in MO. but ask the law first!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic