This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trying to put winter weather into perspective

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trying to put winter weather into perspective
    Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 10:15am
With all of the talk about cold and snow this winter, me included, it a has got me thinking. (scary thought, I know). Seeing how this is my 55th winter in North Dakota, I surly had ought to know by now what to expect every year between November and March. A person could probably find a lot of "repeat posts" year after year on this forum every winter since the forum"s beginning, all pertaining to trash talking snow and cold. Now being how it's a free country, why do folks like myself continue to live up here in the great white north...…? Must be because we are creatures of habit. I guess, because our ancestors lived here, by God we are going to live here too. Why our ancestors settled here is still a mystery though. To be totally honest, when I was young, snow was a lot of fun. I think maybe winter weather builds character, probably using the term loosely. Now that I am a little bit older, it's not so much fun anymore, but it goes back to the "creature of habit" thing. Been here and survived this long; no need to leave now. And winter weather definitely does make a topic for good conversation. Seems no one fesses up to liking snow, but we all try to brag that we got more of it then the next guy. If the neighbor got a foot of it, we darn sure got 15 inches over here. Go figure. LOL! But ,......I will certainly take winter weather over earth quakes, volcanoes, dust storms, tsunamis, and most of all, I'll take this weather over huge populations of people a hundred times over! I like my space! And it really makes spring a very special time of the year. How can a person look forward to spring coming, when you have spring weather year around...?
   And getting back to our ancestors settling here, they had had to be some tough hombres. The place I grew up on was not homesteaded by my ancestors, but we did refer to the lady we rented it from (and later bought it from) as a grandma. Her and her husband had homesteaded the place. The husband was long gone before my time, but I have some pretty precious memories of the lady. I have an idea that she was probably tougher than the average bear in her day. I remember playing in this one little old building as a kid. It was probably about 8 feet wide and 12 feet long; maybe 8 feet tall at the front, with a single sloped roof to about 5 feet high at the back. No insulation in it. But this building is what they lived in for the first couple years on the place, until they moved a "big" house out there from town. And I can't for the life of me figure out how they moved houses back in them days with only horses. And as for the "big" house that I grew up in; well when my folks sold the place to a young couple a few years ago, they turned up their noses at that little dinky house and put up a new "bigger" house. Old house got pushed into the basement and burned. Enough rambling for now. Darrel
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 1:32pm
Darrel,
 I live in a environment similar to yours, near Lake Erie. Winters can be almost as bad as in the Dakotas I would guess? My great grandfather immigrated here in 1870 ish, moved here from Germany. Lot of us are still here.  
My comment is that we would have a lot more piece in the world if all folks had to worry about frozen pipes and heating your house and bad roads and being snowed in and feeding livestock in a blizzard, and frozen hands and fingers, and wearing all the clothes you own to survive! You darn well appreciate spring, summer, and fall even more.
Regards,
Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 2:31pm
I remember when we used to have a spring, now a days it jump straight from winter to blazing hot summer. You know they were better than we are as there was no insulation in them old houses they just chopped fire wood and kept warm fires burning, had to carry water to all the animals cause they didn't have running water.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 2:47pm
Can remember my Great Uncle's funeral, he was born in Old Woolam MO not far from us here. When he had been buried we went to his Rented Room to take care of his Things. Emmett had a shaving kit with bar shaving soap, a soap brush and a double edge safety razor, an old toothbrush and baking soda for toothpaste(had his own teeth), a bar of Fels Naptha soap still partially wrapped in the wrapper and a wash bowl/pitcher on his dresser alongside his aftershave(no deodorant found anywhere) one hair Brush and pocket hair comb. His clothes consisted of the Work boots he had on in his coffin and the smartly polished pair in his room. Three pair slacks neatly dry clean pressed, one set well aged coveralls also clean and pressed, including his burial pair five pair wool socks, two gray two beige one whitish. five pair undershorts, five undershirts(Not T-shirts), four nice but not dressy long sleeve shirts and one very nice Xmas Present shirt he was buried in that under his favorite cardigan and Houndstooth Jacket. One extra Cardigan, one Long winter coat one pair gloves and two Fedoras from Stetson Hat Co.

Emmett lived simply, would step out to the local bowling alley to view the news as TV came along, at one time had a radio but it failed and he abandoned it. I remember his Chrysler Automobile he had last, he had Packards prior no more than two years old and never kept five years. Had three pictures, one of his Sister my own Great Grandmother, and his two Nieces then one of his favorite girl that had just never came to be wife and he outlived her. Ate most meals out, paid cash as had a little, always left a good tip. Drank a shot of whiskey on occasion with my Grandfather Uncle and Dad, never imbibed too much and did not like beer, had coffee with every meal. Until he quit for good a pack of Lucky Strikes would last a week. His wallet was always in his jacket pocket, full length not bi or tri fold, always gave the great grands a Bank fresh $2 bill at Xmas and Thanksgiving, my parents were of that age that the bills were markers of bad luck and would exchange them for two ones for us to have 'More Cash'. He did have a pocket watch, a forty year Railroad pin and a pinky ring that he left to a Niece. He walked pretty well anywhere he needed to go summer or Winter and snow did not bother nor slow him.

The man I knew was rich beyond anyone's imagination from the family that surrounded and loved on him.
trace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 3:41pm
have lived in nw iowa for 63 years, the last 15 out in the country. if my health wasn't bad i would stay as i love this area. this summer we are going to move to southern mo to be nearer my wifes people as mine are all gone here. look at it as a new adventure, only time i ever lived somewhere else was two years in cedar rapids iowa (college) about 200 miles se of here. will have more to do (family) there. won't miss pushin snow drifts, power going out and just the extra work that comes with an acreage. will get a part time job and travel a little to fill in the gaps.

Edited by trace - 26 Feb 2019 at 3:42pm
1955 WD-45 WIDE FRONT W/ TRIP
LOADER
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 10:28pm
Back in them "Old Days", neighbors were 'just there'.  They were too far away to say hi to but they were there.  If you needed help,  with ANYTHING, they were HERE.....what happened to those 'good ole days'?

My 'house' (actually a log cabin) at the farm was built originally in 1850 something.... I have the original papers so I'd have to look it up.  Anyway, it originally was erected in Dakota MN. and transported by horse to where it is now, near North Bend, WI.  Approximately 20 miles as the crow flies.  (found this out on google maps!!)
WHY would anybody want to haul a log cabin, BY HORSE, that far and put it back up again?

WHY do I live here??  Because this is truly God's Country.  Come through here sometime, you can't help but hold your breath!!  We have all four seasons and each is beautiful in it's own rite.

Darrel, to quote you,,,,,you ornery ole cuss....."I surly had ought to know by now what to expect every year "  Yeah, I guess you're 'surly', at least you seem so at times,,,,,,,,,,, BUT,,,,,you SURELY must love to live around here...LMAO!!!!   Oh yeah, did I mention my 'new' pokin stick??
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 11:47pm
Living north of I-70 guarantees that Mother Nature will put a serious hurt on poisonous spiders, poisonous snakes, alligators and homeless people.

Now... if it could only keep the politicians away...

Y'know how to tell when it's REALLY cold up here?

Politicians put their hands in THEIR OWN POCKETS... LOL
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 12:00am
I'll fess up!  I like snow!  I'm retired so the only place I really got to go is out and drive my snow blower tractor around.  I have a good ole time! Big smile
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 11:04am
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

Y'know how to tell when it's REALLY cold up here?
Politicians put their hands in THEIR OWN POCKETS... LOL

LOLLOLThumbs Up
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 11:14am
We live according to my lil' honey 'Out in the Boonies' but only five miles from town, do have to make a thirty mile run to bigger stores or better entertainment sources but well adjusted life here, not much happens. Are expecting a 5-8" snow here in next few hours looking forward to it as retired and DO NOT CARE!!

Living here reminds me of the better times at my Aunt Mable's farm and the more even pace we lived at. Open skies, less traffic, less intrusive idiots and less politicians at our door.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 2:58pm
Yes Dmiller if we could just get rid of them robo calls we'd have it made.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic