This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

30 year old memory

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D17Milo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 30 year old memory
    Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 7:08am
In 1989 I worked in a feed store in west central Iowa . A man came in for coffee and made a statement I have never forgotten. February only has 28 days, but it can be one really long month. This has been one of those Februarys.
Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 8:58am
I hear that. 
I used to have one of those "perpetual calendars" where  you change the blocks for month and day......In February,  I would use only one block for the date, an 8 on its side.

For those unfamiliar with that, that is the mathematical symbol for infinity!Wink
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 9:30am
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 11:23am
I remember one Feb. in the early fifty's dad sowed oats in Feb. Dad seemed to think it was the norm, but I can't remember the last Feb. you could sow oats anymore here.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 9:31pm
My grandfather on my mothers side farmed and still used horses for some tasks until 1969 when he finally got rid of all the animals on the farm . He claimed he would broadcast oats of the back of a horsedrawn wagon on top of snow the last week of February or first week of March .
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 9:39pm
Looked at Feb as being feast of famine when I had the snow plowing business . 
One year 1977 I bought a new truck and plow in Feb - put it onto the truck outside as it was in the 50's for a week or so it seems and few days later got to enjoy plowing with it .. and again and again and again all the way into April . 
 So now looking out the window today - it's snowing again - about 3 ft deep and have piles now about 6 ft high 
 last night i hauled snow in Quint dump truck over in Bloomington and Mpls 3rd time in last 10 days I have been driving (them night shifts driving still tire one out for a day or so afterwards)
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 10:39pm
There's folks who rattle sabers and cry 'climate change'... and I'll point out that we're long overdue for an ice-age... this is just a little taste.

We had a milder day, I got home a half-hour before sunset and took a walk around the property to survey all the wind and ice damage.  I look at the calendar and realize one thing:

The longer it stays cold, icy, and snowy, the FASTER it's all gonna melt off when springtime arrives.

As Grandpa said:  "We're all born with the ability to see the future...
...some of us just don't learn how to use it soon enough..."

Prepare for flooding....  Unhappy
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 1:25pm
Prepare for it's already here in California and Alabama and Tennesee 
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 3:35pm
The rock River has been flooded for several days and is now gone down enough that Rt78 is now open North of Prophetstown. Ima say it ain't NEAR over, since the Rock drains a good part of N Illinois and Sw Wisconsin and they have lots of snow to melt off.
 Maybe the river folk will get lucky, and not have ice dams backing things up when the melt off comes down.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Bull View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 4:10pm
The Mississippi River at Natchez is about 23 feet higher than normal for this date and rising about 6 inches per day.
WD45 Diesel, RC,CA,IB, B, G, 616, Early B-10, D-10, Terra Tiger, 95G spreader, SC blade
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 4:14pm
We are headed for 6-12" MORE snow Sunday Morning.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 4:14pm
Yep I might be getting washed away soon. The 8 year drought has been declared ended,just ask them weather guessers. Wink The local TV boy has been declaring the next storm is going to be the BIG rain. LOLLOLLOL Just that the storm starting now is not going to be so bad, but the next one on Monday or Tuesday or.......................... well the big one is coming.So look out for flooding as well as the next drought could start any time now.LOL

I did get 12+ inches in Feb over 27 so far for the season( July 1 to June 31) so will not take much to make a flood . Oh the normal is about 20 for a season,but most are under a little an then the big ones like now that we get way more. Normal is ConfusedConfusedConfused only a number on a paper.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 10:53pm
Well, today is March 1st (almost over) and it's STILL February......20 degrees below normal for our highs and almost 30 degrees below the normal lows.  We crushed the snow record for February and are already working on March.  It started about 2pm today and it's still coming down...

Yep, I'm not betting on spring flooding, I'm guarantying it!!  There's a LOT of snow up here in the Northland....LOOK OUT New Orleans, maybe this time we'll just wash you out to sea...
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic