This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Indy Qualifying Day 1967

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indy Qualifying Day 1967
    Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 4:10pm
First attempt to Qualify a Turbined Powered Indy 500 Race Car. Parnelli Jones got the ride of his life In this one of a kind Big Andy Granateli creation.   Qualified 6th. Led the first lap. Spun out into the grass without touching anyone. Recovered the leed and broke with 7miles to go.   I was there .   Anyone else on the forum there for the 67 Indy 500?
Sponsored Links

Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 5:56pm
I aint quite sure how I'd feel about them guys in STP pajamas messing around with my car.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 8:56am
I was about 15 years old... Dad took me and two brothers to the race. Sat between #3 and #4 curves... All I remember is  them screaming by and you could hear VROOM, VROOM, SHWOOSH...... turbines didn't make much noise compared to the pistons engines.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 3:39pm
Back when independents still had a chance, Andy, Joe and Vince were real mavericks that always brought something new to the table , even when it was something old like the infamous Novi. The turbine cars were awesome, but USAC and other competitors were afraid of them, sadly, their day in the sun ended before it ever really began. I was there in '67 to see it qualify, little did I know that I'd be there 16 years later with an independant team that was the first to make serious use of titanium in race cars. 
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 7:38am
You guys will never guess who you can buy firewood from around these parts.......well, maybe you can....

Gordon Johncock!

He would also show up incognito driving someone else's stock car for a night every once in a while at the tiny little fly speck speedway in town.  Pretty cool!
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 11:29am
Gary Benttenhausen and I were High School Classmates. I was in class with Gary when the principal came in to take him to the office to tell him his Dad, Tony was killed in a practice crash at Indy. 
      Gary always had a new Mopar to drive .  We met often to do some friendly drag racing. Nothing Gary drove was match for my 1960 Studebaker  Lark .  Wish I had a Little 60 Lark V8 Hardtop to play with now.
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 9:33pm
    A.J. Foyt never know it, but I always cheered for him to do good. Folks took us to the Brickyard back when. The track tour guide gave me a STP sticker and it graces my tool box today. 

When I win the 500 someday, I will be driving my Oldsmobile powered Oreo Cookie Car to victory lane. Flowers around my neck, beautiful women as far as the eye can see, and the cold bottle of milk in my hand. I will dip Oreo's into it. After I have eaten 5 or 6 and I have that small cookie burn in the throat, I will drink the entire quart of milk nonstop.   
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 10:14pm
I graduated from high school on 6/7/67, remember listening to the race on the radio.  As I remember, it was kind of boring as the turbine powered car just kept going around and around, until it broke.  I seem to remember is was a $5 bearing.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 4:31am
wonder how the turbines would stack up against the recips of todays formula/Indy cars
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
mikedes View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikedes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 5:44am
I worked at Victory Junction camp when it started about 2005 and that car was parked in our workshop . Was given to Richard Petty and was part of his collection. After the awe of seeing it became a pita as it was always in the way. Was moved after several months and I assumed it went to where we were storing the rest of his card
Mike

JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 5:48pm
I was there with my Dad and my Brother. I was in the 7th grade.Was there the next year to. Andy ran 3 wedge turbines. The track is only 50 miles away. Thanks Dad!!
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic