This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA Hand Clutch Repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA Hand Clutch Repair
    Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 3:25pm
The hand clutch in my CA won't disengage. This happened shortly after I'd rebuilt it about 10 years ago. I'm hoping to get into it this winter and find the issue. I've read through the Knowledge section post on rebuilding the clutch - some terrific information there. But I'm looking for help with two things:

1. What would cause a clutch that had been working fine to suddenly refuse to disengage?

2. A description of the process for removing the clutch unit from the tractor. I had a difficult time getting the drive shaft from the differential to disengage from the clutch unit when I did this before. (Someone on here helped me a TON when I did this before, but the link I saved returns an error message.) I'm wondering if there's a shop manual that covers this that I might get my hands on.

Thanks much.
Dave

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 19 Feb 2019 at 3:26pm
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Sponsored Links

Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 4:16pm
There is a version of all you ask in the manual for the G,B,C, and CA that Gerald posts the link to. There is a little info in I&T's Shop Service manual # AC-11.
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 2:39pm
Thanks, Jim. I'll hunt that link down!!

Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 2:56pm
I've downloaded the service manual. I'm hoping that the one sentence on separating the drive shaft from the clutch and then that from the pinion shaft will help....

But is there anyone who's done this that can offer some suggestions about how this is done?

Also, any ideas about the cause of the clutch refusing to disengage would be great!

Thanks much.
Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 5:41pm
Transmission pilot shaft lacking lubrication in the engine flywheel will keep the clutch from effectively disengaging. Throwout bearing broken can keep it from pushing the clutch plate disengaging mechanism. Lack of push on the throwout bearing can keep it from working. E.g. too much free play for the clutch arm.

Gerald J.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 10:38am
Thanks, Gerald.

Still looking for ideas on the HAND clutch, guys........thanks!
Dave

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 23 Feb 2019 at 10:39am
WC, CA, D14, WD45
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 11:54am
A stuck hand clutch may be caused by corrosion between the friction and pressure plates. Chain the tractor to a tree or other immovable object, hold the hand clutch back, and with tractor in 3rd or 4th gear move it against the tree. Be careful so you don't tip over. If this don't work, you may need to remove the clutch pack to free it up.
To remove the clutch pack: Jack up and support the rear of the tractor and remove the final (you should remove the tire, fender, fender support, rock shaft, and brake linkage 1st). Use a hoist/cherry picker to remove the final. The inner pinion shaft may come out with the final, or it may remain engaged with the tranny. You need to pull the inner pinion shaft out of the clutch pack. the clutch pack is on the outer pinion shaft, It is held by a half moon key. If cant be removed by pulling out by hand try using 2 large pry bars thru the final windows (after squirting panther pi$$ on the shaft and/ot emory the protruding end of the outer pinion shaft). If it still resistant, you may need to use a large chisel and hammer to be a "wedge" by placing the chisel point in the gap between the clutch pack and the outer pinion. Patience and persistence is the key.
Whe removed, try pressing the clutch pack open under a shop press. If does not work disassemble it and reassemble after cleaning it up. I use a little neversieze to lubricate the release balls and their concave discs. Be sure to check the gap between the friction and pressure plates after assy; the gap should be minimal (I set mine at 0.020 inch). Check the knowledge base section for the article on rebuilding the clutch pack on how to adjust the gap. Install the clutch pack on the outer pinion shaft and insert the inner pinion shaft into the tranny before re-installing the final. You may want to have a spare inner pinion seal available just in case you damage the existing one during reassembly. After final is on adjust the gap between the clutch pack and the clutch actuator to approx. 0.040 in by turning the cog with a pry bar or screw driver.   

Edited by GregLawlerMinn - 23 Feb 2019 at 11:57am
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 12:39pm
Greg - thanks much. I appreciate the hints! I've got a tree handy to the shop that should serve for trying your 'break it free' idea. If not, more questions are likely. I know when I rebuilt the hand clutch before that I didn't set the clutch gap as you suggested....ignorance was definitely not a good thing in this case. 
Dave

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 23 Feb 2019 at 12:44pm
WC, CA, D14, WD45
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 1:15pm
Dave. Don't try to "snap" it free-take up the slack and then engage the engine clutch until the engine dies or the hand clutch frees up.
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 3:07pm
Got it. Thanks, Greg.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 4:05pm
An update: I can't move the hand clutch handle at all. I'm guessing that the two plates are rusted together......Unhappy I'll try the chain-it-to-a-tree method once I get the foot brake issue solved (see CA Brake Mystery).

Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic