This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbo D2800 Pros/Cons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turbo D2800 Pros/Cons
    Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 11:21pm
Okay I’ve been mulling this group of thoughts around for a while and decided to see what everyone else thought.

My tractor is a 1967 Series 1 190XT (has DXT at end of serial number and all decals show it to be a turbo tractor) but it has a 2800 engine in it that has a very sloppy turbo install done. I’m trying to figure out what to do at this point and here are my thoughts.

1. It’s a pretty common practice to turbo a 180 or 185. Both of these units have the D2800 engine and run for many years issue free.

2. I know the 2800 does not utilize an engine mounted oil cooler like the 2900 does. That being said I recall a member on here saying that the dealer he used to work for would turbo 2800’s and use a fluid to air hydraulic cooler. Would one be okay with getting a fluid to air cooler and mounting in front of the radiator? Would this help enough to dissipate the extra heat caused by the turbo?

3. The tractor will not be worked at 100% power. It will run a 5x5 New Holland round bailer and thats what will require the most hp.

4. I’ve heard conflicting stories here. I heard some say that the only difference between the 2800 and 2900 is the oil cooler and turbo. While others say that the pistons, pump, injectors, etc are different.

Bottom line is will I be okay with putting a proper XT manifold on, along with new lines and hoses, and running a turbo with the fluid to air cooler or will I be asking for trouble?

Pic of current situation. Was like that when I got the tractor.

1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
Sponsored Links

tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 1:52pm
first of all - what is the make / model of the turbo and have you measured the turbo boost at full hp?    Do not run a liquid intercooler - XT had enough cooling issues as stock - it will heat your coolant temp..  A OEM manifold will look better - but probably not be any difference in performance.   They do make a finned turbo drain line that will offer some cooling - that is where your hottest oil will be.   Unless someone put in the larger XT inj tips and opened the fuel up - you will need no extra cooling  (or turbo).   
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 6:10pm
Interesting turbo mounting for sure !
AllisChalmers37 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 10:10pm
The one on it is a Schwitzer 155710.
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic