This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B On Steel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAR45110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B On Steel
    Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 10:10pm
Just got this 1938 B home.  Needs a lot of work, but getting it on steel was worth it.  Got an air cleaner from Ken in Texas and a carb on line.  It needs at least one front rim, maybe two.  Where is the best place to get one of these?  I need to start with the "stuck" engine.  What do you think about adding a PTO or just leaving it with the factory delete PTO?

Thanks,

Bob
Sponsored Links

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 10:04am
The "real" steel wheeled B's came with a taller than normal air intake and different fenders. 

Here are some pictures of mine right after I bought it.

RAR45110 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAR45110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 12:20pm
Yes,

Thanks, I have seen your pictures in the past and appreciate your sending them again.  I have been in contact with a guy who has the correct fenders and I will be talking to him about buying them after I get the engine running.  I bought a short aircleaner to get going with this restoration, and am looking for a tall one.  Please answer a couple of questions for me.  First, is your exhaust pipe just that, a pipe?  If so, how long is it above the exhaust manifold?  Secondly, do you have steel front wheels or rubber?  As you can see, mine has rubber and one of the rims is rusted beyond repair and I am currently looking for a replacement.

Thanks,

Bob
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 12:26pm
need a PTO on tractor ?  What is the GOAL in the end.. Trailer / show / work around the yard / field mowing ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 12:50pm
Mine is going to have a muffler. I don't think it's correct, but I like them quiet. It never had  the muffler that sits under the hood.

I don't have front steel wheels. I've seen some sold and they go for more than the tractor is worth. This is the second steel wheel B that I've owned and both came with the same spoke wheels that everyone on here tells me are not original. I will try to get some pictures in the next few days and post them.

A word of advice. If you can find a running engine from a B, C or CA, it will be much cheaper than rebuilding yours. I am going to have way more in my engine than the tractor will ever be worth!

Edited by WF owner - 19 Feb 2019 at 12:54pm
RAR45110 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAR45110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 5:18pm
Show only.  It is like adding all the options when restoring a car.  I am trying to decide if the Factory delete PTO is more rare and should be kept that way or if putting on the PTO will show better since that was an available option.

Thanks,

Bob
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 5:27pm

FYI Serial 7775 is on this Forum's Owner Registry.

Gary
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic