This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daytona 500

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burnt Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daytona 500
    Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 7:03pm
Best Race I have seen in Years.Have not seen the stands that full in many Moons
Sponsored Links

Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 7:12pm
I agree. I haven’t really watched since Earnhardt’s death but I did watch the whole race today and it was good racing
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 7:14pm
Yep, soon to be known as the wreck of the century. Gots in from pushing snow it time to watch the last 60 or so laps.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 8:41pm
I'm ready for boy Talladega races and the July Daytona race myself. NO RESTRICTOR PLATES!!!
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 10:50pm
Yup we watched it to. Did you watch the truck race Friday. Was odd all the tires going on the opening laps, and seemed to cause a lot of fires. More then I remember in the past
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 3:49am
Jenn and I tried to watch the last of it. She had to leave for work before it ended. I was also shocked to see how full the stands were. How come Roush only has Two teams?
What happened to Greg Biffel? When did Stewart Haus go Ford?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 5:50am
Toward the end were they even making three laps without a wreck?!?! The 18 car mashup was SPECTACULAR then two race laps later another seven, WOW!!!!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 7:29am
They have been lowering prices and widening seats(don't know this about Daytona specifically, but know for a fact for other tracks) trying to get people to come back.  Must finally be working.  That, and a chance for a few other people to win here and there. 
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 8:44am
Knowing that the boys will do whatever it takes on the last 25-30 laps at Daytona, went out to check/feed cattle before I lost light and figured I could still catch the last of that race because of more wrecks. Sure enough, they piled em' up plenty and amazing those boys all walked away at those speeds.
Glad NASCAR is changing things up a bit over the last five years as they had taken to "tight camera shots" whenever possible at some races so you could not see how empty the stands were getting.
Reportedly sold out Daytona for only the second time ever this year and sold the last seats the day before, breaking a record with attendance of 101,500.
Still have a Hoosier tire from Texas Motor Speedway NASCAR race that was in my shop when I bought my place. PO wanted to come get stuff the following year and had to tell him that was not gonna happen.

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 9:02am
 Our Son, who is now at Eglin AFB has been to Daytona once and Talladega twice tells me that it is unbelievable to go in person,,,,,being a Chevy man all his life he says when them cars come by at 180 MPH plus,, it is a sight to HEAR,,,all them Fords chasing them Chevies and screamin at 8000 plus RPM is what keeps you going back,,,,,!!! I think it is amazing what Toyota has done to develop a competitive racing engine in such short time. Even more amazing is how them engines stay together so long at them RPMs,,,,,,,Clap
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 9:39am
Joe, my Dad served at Eglin!

I used to love NASCAR.  I mean, loved it, and there was nothing like it in person!

I've been to Charlotte, Michigan, Martinsville, Indianapolis, and Talladega.  Charlotte and Michigan numerous times.  Michigan is 2 miles long, and NO restrictor plates.  So while 'dega was cool for the super fast super enormous curves and keeping the cars bunched up, Michigan has a faster top speed at the end of the huge front stretch, and there was no feeling like sitting in the second row, exit of turn four.  Drop of the green flag was cool, but I tell you the next time around was what was really something!!! All 43 of 'em still bunched up, wound up to full speed, and putting the hammer down entering the front stretch.  OH MAN!!!!
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 11:20am
For a second I thought you was talking about my home town Charlotte, Michigan. Pronounced different.

Dusy
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 11:38am
I’ve never made a nascar race. I’ve been to nearly all kinds but not nascar. I have been to Charolet and Moorsville and toured all the Ford shops. I’ve met Schrade Rusty Wallace and Bill Elliot a few times. I quit watching a few years back when Mark Martin was leading and about to lap Jimmy Johnson. They pulled a yellow for a hotdog wrapper.
I miss the days of real car bodies and Bill Elliot lapping the field in that Ford. Sadly that ruined Nascar.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Dusty MI Dusty MI wrote:

For a second I thought you was talking about my home town Charlotte, Michigan. Pronounced different.

Dusy
Well, I've been there, Char LOTT, too.  But I must've missed the race track!!! LOL

Actually, will be heading by there again tomorrow.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

I’ve never made a nascar race. I’ve been to nearly all kinds but not nascar. I have been to Charolet and Moorsville and toured all the Ford shops. I’ve met Schrade Rusty Wallace and Bill Elliot a few times. I quit watching a few years back when Mark Martin was leading and about to lap Jimmy Johnson. They pulled a yellow for a hotdog wrapper.
I miss the days of real car bodies and Bill Elliot lapping the field in that Ford. Sadly that ruined Nascar.
I hear that.  I followed a little longer.  The first few times I went to Charlotte was for the old "The Winston Select" all star race.  Early 90's.  Was still pretty sweet.  They watered that event down something fierce too.  By the time I quit going to races all together (11 years ago), I was so bored with it I couldn't stand it.  More about the weekend at that point than the race itself.  Haven't watched more than a handful of laps since then.  They really turned it into a real nap inducer there for a while. 
Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 12:47pm
Well, I ended up watching the entire race. Was elated that they brought back my roundy-round nap time, but didn't get my nap. The last 30 or 40 laps, I wasn't sure there was gonna be anyone left to finish the race. LOL
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 5:08pm
Gotta agree on "Awesome Bill From Dawsonville", that Melling Ford absolutely dominated back in the day. Had the good fortune of talking to him some years back and he is as quiet and truly humble as they come.
No ego there and hope is son does as good.

Oh, and Joe,  Toyotas sure did pull it off yesterday but it looks like the Fords will be at the party this year!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 6:50pm
Been many years since I watched a race, or attended one.

The big tracks are boring in person cause ya can't see but a small portion of it. The smell, sound, and rumble on the chest is fun......but only for so long

if I watch one on TV, it's only the last 20-30 laps.....that's where the racing is!

Plus, I cant stand the melodrama. NASCAR turned into one bit soap opera

Edited by LouSWPA - 18 Feb 2019 at 6:51pm
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 8:55pm

Yeah,,ten four on Bill Elliot,,,I' always been a Chevy man but you got to give ole Bill Elliot ,,he could flat drive them superspeedways for sure,,,of course it sure helped his car was generating a few more horses than anybody else did,,,,,Wink What impressed me most was every time they interviewed him after a race,,,you could tell that right there was one fine Southern Gentleman and extremely modest,,always giving everybody else the credit for him winnin,,,ClapClap Mark Martin was always my Son's favorite as well because of HIS demeanor,,,,Clap
 Yep TBone  ten four on Eglin,,,that is by far the most beautiful Base he has been assigned to,,,the beaches are to kill for as well as the eating places,,,,ClapClap
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 4:47am
Mark Martin was always my favorite as well. I have a room full of toys, hats, T-shirt s and posters to prove it. I also have a couple Bill Elliot cars and a couple Schrader cars and and and a special order Jeremy Mayfield car.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 8:54am
When I was about 4 or 5 Bill Elliott opened his shop to the public one time. My dad took us and we got to meet him, his brother Ernie, and the whole pit crew. Got a poster and a couple of post cards signed by them. Pretty cool trip
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
allis g View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 11:39pm
I was beginning to think that the pace car would win the race
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 7:51am
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

Been many years since I watched a race, or attended one.

The big tracks are boring in person cause ya can't see but a small portion of it. The smell, sound, and rumble on the chest is fun......but only for so long

if I watch one on TV, it's only the last 20-30 laps.....that's where the racing is!

Plus, I cant stand the melodrama. NASCAR turned into one bit soap opera
Exactly on the melodrama!Unhappy

Charlotte is maybe my favorite track of the ones I've been to.  It's long enough to be fast, but front across the track from front to back isn't "that far", so you can see the other side fairly well .  At least when I was there.  Michigan is sow wide and sweeping the other side of the track is a long way from you.  Indy is TERRIBLE!  Seems no matter where you sit, you can only see about 1/3 or 1/4 of the track to really see anything.

Martinsville was really cool I thought.  You walk through a neighborhood to get there, and it's so small you really are right there!  Kinda neat.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 9:48am
I like Atlanta. Practically the same as Charlotte I guess. I've been to Bristol and it's absolutely insane how loud it is. You don't watch the cars, you feel them
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 9:53am
I like the way Atlanta used to be.  Yes, now it's a cookie cutter copy of Charlotte.  So is Texas and Chicago pretty much.  California a cookie cutter of Michigan with smoother pavement.  I liked it when there was more unique tracks on the circuit.  They cancelled North Wilkesboro, they "fixed" Darlington, etc. 

Edited by Tbone95 - 20 Feb 2019 at 9:53am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 11:32am
I rolled in to Atlanta one Sunday just as the race rained out. Added some serious stress to that trip. Lol
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 12:35pm
I made it to Daytona in 1969 and have not been to a race since always watch on tv. I couldn't turn my head fast enough to keep up with them and with instant replay on tv if you miss something it will be replayed a few times. I just don't like the side by side with the advertisement is always bigger.
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 4:29pm
I used to be a huge fan but after Earnhardt died it just didn't seem the same and I slowly lost interest. Don't hardly watch any more except a little bit of Daytona and maybe Talladega.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic