This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

L3, from the inside

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: L3, from the inside
    Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 10:05am
Been doing lots of maintenance on the L3, new lower and upper raddle chains with new drive sprockets, new bushings on throat shafts, new concave, turned the chopper knives, new blocks on the walkers. Had to remove the pan under walkers and one of the walkers to fix them up. At that point one guy could crawl in the front and one guy from the back and shake hands. Just thought I'd post a couple of pics.

Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
Sponsored Links

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 11:39am
Dang got a lot going on there, but now is the time to do it and not in prime harvest time, thanks for the pics

Edited by DougG - 17 Feb 2019 at 11:39am
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 11:42am
Nice! I like that dolly you made for the feederhouse. Bet that makes it 100 times easier removing/installing it. 
When you say you replaced bushings on the throat shafts, were those the bushings where the throat pivots?

Edited by CrestonM - 17 Feb 2019 at 11:44am
fastallis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 12:30pm
I put new front and rear raddles, sprockets in my M3 last year. I wish I would have pulled the feeder house. Would have been easier. It had 4 slates missing in row on the rear chain. It sure does a lot better job on corn with all of them in there. I have heard that there are grease sert for the feeder house pivots but I have never seen them?
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 12:44pm
I've tried greasing the pivots, but from my experience on 6 machines, I can't ever get them to take any grease. There's a ton a pressure, feels like everything is 100% blocked. 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 1:01pm
For those of you with L and M series machines who harvest corn and have any sidehills, pay attention.  Gleaner cylinder bars are installed 4 in and 4 out. This means when 4 of them thresh they are throwing the material in and the other 4 are throwing material out.  Re-arrange that setup to all 8 throwing the material in (or 6 in and 2 out). This helps a bunch when harvesting on any sidehills. It will hurt the capacity a little when on perfectly flat land, but the reduction is so minimal compared to when leaning right or left. It has zero affect on threshing. It helps distribute material to the high side of the combine to keep capacity good. So, with the throat cover off looking in at the cylinder bars, they should look like an upside down "V" in the center to throw material towards the center.  This is one of those zero $$$ spent to improve your combines BPH when harvesting on any sidehills !!!!
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 1:31pm
Yes, Creston. The bronze bushings are inside the pivot brackets that are bolted to the sides of the machine with 4, 3/8 bolts. There is no zerks on ether of our machines. We did both L3's this year and all 4 bushings were worn through. The dolly uses the same jack bolts from my tractor jacks, so all we did was weld up a frame. It does work pretty well, especially when reinstalling, but I hope we wont need it now for several years. 
Leon B MO
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 4:03pm
Must've just been the older machines that had grease fittings then? I've been around some M2s with them, and the Allis cotton strippers have them as well, but like I said, they don't take grease. Maybe why the later ones don't have them. 
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 6:08pm
The 1978 K2’s pivot bushings have grease zerks. I just replaced both side’s bushings this last fall (2018). The bushing’s grease zerk hole much line up with the housing’s zerk or grease will not PATH properly to bushing.
Maybe other models (F,G,L,& M) pivot BUSHINGS that have grease zerks but will not take grease were not installed correctly, at some point??
Below is an earlier link that shows pics of my K2’s pivots. You can see it’s zerk in housing above bushing. I don’t know about L & M models though.
https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/leveling-throat-on-l-m_topic155236.html

Edited by AC7060IL - 17 Feb 2019 at 6:18pm
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 10:02pm
While pivot caps are off, replace bolts with grade 5 or redrill and tap to 7/16.        MACK
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 10:57pm
My F2 has zerks and they take grease(pivot shaft)
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by CrestonM CrestonM wrote:

Must've just been the older machines that had grease fittings then? I've been around some M2s with them, and the Allis cotton strippers have them as well, but like I said, they don't take grease. Maybe why the later ones don't have them. 
 They don't take grease because they have been neglected for too long.You might be able to remove the zerk and dig out the dirt and dried grease and get them working again.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 9:00am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

For those of you with L and M series machines who harvest corn and have any sidehills, pay attention.  Gleaner cylinder bars are installed 4 in and 4 out. This means when 4 of them thresh they are throwing the material in and the other 4 are throwing material out.  Re-arrange that setup to all 8 throwing the material in (or 6 in and 2 out). This helps a bunch when harvesting on any sidehills. It will hurt the capacity a little when on perfectly flat land, but the reduction is so minimal compared to when leaning right or left. It has zero affect on threshing. It helps distribute material to the high side of the combine to keep capacity good. So, with the throat cover off looking in at the cylinder bars, they should look like an upside down "V" in the center to throw material towards the center.  This is one of those zero $$$ spent to improve your combines BPH when harvesting on any sidehills !!!!

This is an interesting post. I'm in the market for a combine. Was leaning toward a rotary because of my sidehills. May have to consider a good L or M if one comes up.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

My F2 has zerks and they take grease(pivot shaft)

As does ours.
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 6:51pm
IBWD, there is a low hour (1972 sep)  L3 on Tractor House in Minnesota. Looks like it has been taken care of. I gave it some thought.....but not right now. Also a green stripe in Illinois with the hillside air option on the chaffer. 
Leon B MO
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 9:57am
Thanks Leon, would like to find one close enough to drive home. Minnesota is probably a bit far for me, I'm going to look though!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic