This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1959 D17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sstevens1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1959 D17
    Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 3:40pm
I haven't been able to lower my hydraulic lift even with a heavy snowblower attached no matter what position the lift and traction booster lever is in. I dropped the hydraulic pump linkage pan, when I did that the metal lubrication tube was laying on the bottom of the pan....is that tube crucial for lift and lower or just for the belt drive if it's attached?
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 4:53pm
Lube tube for the front clutch shaft bearing and belt pulley gears. Not your problem. You should  be able to see the hold valve stem and see if it is broken off or the linkage not hitting it.
sstevens1985 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sstevens1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 6:32pm
I can see where the one end of the lube tube goes into the linkage pump, but I can't see where the other end would connect.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 7:07pm
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sstevens1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 4:40pm
Valve stem looks fine and linkage is pressing on it.

The traction booster linkage, the linkeage finger closest to the bottom on the pan is binding on what appears to be a he head boot, the inner finger for the traction booster I'm assuming is suppose to press into the 1/2" or so horizontal slit in the hydraulic pump when the traction booster lever is at the bottom of the quadrant?
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sstevens1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 4:48pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sstevens1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 5:19pm

Valve stem looks fine and linkage is pressing on it.

The traction booster linkage, the linkeage finger closest to the bottom on the pan is binding on what appears to be a hex head boot, the inner finger for the traction booster I'm assuming is suppose to press into the 1/2" or so horizontal slit in the hydraulic pump when the traction booster lever is at the bottom of the quadrant?
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Lube tube for the front clutch shaft bearing and belt pulley gears. Not your problem. You should  be able to see the hold valve stem and see if it is broken off or the linkage not hitting it.

Edited by sstevens1985 - 18 Feb 2019 at 6:00am
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 8:03pm
Can you put the Boost lever all the way down, look at where the lever would be if it worked and then just use something to move it into that position?
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 7:25am
The picture doesn't show the hold valve.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sstevens1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 7:38am
Yup I know, but the hold vavle stem was going in and out as I moved the lift/ lower lower to the bottom or top of the quadrant.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 8:11am
With the hold valve stem fully out, any oil that is pumped by the pump cannot come backwards or lower whatever cylinder is stroked. With the hold valve stem depressed in, the oil can return, thus lowering the cylinder or load. If the pump is pumping continuously (for some abnormal reason) I would think with the engine shut off, you would still be able to lower the load via the open hold valve.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sstevens1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 10:16am
With the engine off it'll slowly lower, say a few hours.

I'm just curious if the spring in hold valve stem is worn or what. It can be pushed in by finger and when it comes out it comes out slowly or sluggish.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 12:08pm
There is no spring. All the plunger does is unseat the check ball to release the oil.  The Lift/Lower lever usually has to be pulled down BELOW horizontal to fully depress the plunger in to lower implements.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sstevens1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 11:45am
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

Can you put the Boost lever all the way down, look at where the lever would be if it worked and then just use something to move it into that position?

I think I'll try that.
ACthunder View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACthunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 1:07pm
Here is my D17 series 1:
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sstevens1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 9:19am
Originally posted by ACthunder ACthunder wrote:

Here is my D17 series 1:

The part the traction booster linkage finger would push in must be seized or binded in on mine because mine is not extended like yours is in your picture. It doesn't matter where I have the traction booster lever on mine, so I'll see what some penetrating oil will do, if nothing I drop my pump and take a look internally.
ACthunder View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACthunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 10:07am
Here is a pic of my D17 Series 1 (below 10,000 sn) that I just took apart to replace the seals:

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sstevens1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 10:40am

Any thoughts on how the linkage finger for traction booster will go past that plunger? When I put my traction lever to the bottom of the quadrant it binds against that plunger causing my lift arms to stay raised.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic