This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No drive on left track HD-6B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kblackav8or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 12:44am
We aren't 100% sure but much of the stuff measures out about minimum thickness.  We have some odd uneven wear and some steels that were not flat, sort of dished.  So all that is getting replaced.  Somewhat suspicious the clutch may have been "stuck" in the released position and they may have tried to adjust to it.  At any rate cleaning everything up and replacing all the worn stuff.  Parts are ordered.  I went out and tried to turn both shafts, inner and outter with the clutch pack out and both sides feel like I presume they should.  Tight, unable to turn them.  I pulled and tugged and nothing felt out of sorts.  I did find a stacking error in the clutch.  There were more frictions then steels.  13 frictions, 12 steels.  Going to replace both throw out bearings.  Was a lot of grease in that compartment.  Grease, not oil.  Going to check that grease fitting hose.  Yes my tool isn't as pretty.  I bent it so it would fit in the compartment, clear the brake drum and then have enought length to break them loose. 
Sponsored Links

AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 11:38am
Copy that....sounds like you are headed in the right direction.  Yes the book calls for 10 frictions and 10 steels...with an added steel if needed for additional stack height...does sound like you have more than required. The oil types have more of both.
 Assuming you have a service manual for this serial number series?
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 3:32pm
with these discs you should have 12 frictions and 12 discs but with fiber  it is 10 frictions and 10 discs for 2 7/8 inchs
kblackav8or View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kblackav8or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 10:19am
My parts are in.  How difficult is it to change the throw out bearings?  I ordered those too. 
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 3:04pm
Throw out bearings are easy to replace afte the clutch packs are out. Make sure you replace the hoses. Use a good quality grease gun hose.
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kblackav8or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 5:17pm
So those are just grease gun hoses.  That is good to know. 
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kblackav8or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 8:01pm
Finally got the brake pins out of the right hand side and that clutch out.  Thanks to my home made AC tools we got it apart.  Tomorrow we will hopefully be on the re-assembly mode. 

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kblackav8or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 10:50pm
Clutches are rebuilt.  There is a learning curve.  First clutch pack took us a couple hours with some fiddling around.  Second one only took about 30 minutes.  I think if someone showed up and had my friend and I do this for them, if they had the parts and we had no complications, this is a 1 day job.  Also replaced the release bearings.  2 things we found were my release flange for lack of a better term was stuck on the shaft and not sliding easily which could have easily caused the the clutch to be stuck in a released position.  Also I am pretty sure I recall last week when we took out the left clutch that the pretty plate was protruding slightly rather then being depressed 3/8" per the spec.  My grease hoses were ruptured, all the grease was just going into the compartment and not the bearing or shaft.  Going to put some assembly lube on that shaft along with some grease since it stays put and slippery for some time.  Would be getting ready to put it back together but instead going to get the brake bands re-lined.  Key to doing this is having right tools and a helper. 

Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 8:46pm
Looks familiar. Not  a bad job if the parts are not rusted solid. Good luck with it.
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 5:48am
Impressive project. Thank you for the great posts and pics of your progress.
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kblackav8or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 10:10pm
Last day to work on it for a while.  Brake bands are being re-lined and won't be done for a week or so.  Got the release bearings and drive flanges reinstalled with fresh grease hoses.  They must not have been torqued very well because during removal it only took a crescent wrench and no puller.  I am off to work for 6 weeks so no progress until I get home.  Just needs fresh brake band and put those freshly rebuilt clutches back in. 

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kblackav8or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 12:52am
Well it is almost done.  Clutches are in.  Freshly relined brake bands.  Things are adjusted.  While in there we discovered a rust hole in the fuel tank so we had to deal with that and the bottoms of the battery boxes were gone.  Things are welded up, cleaned up and as of tonight repainted.  Need to make a gasket and paint a couple little pieces and put it back together. 

jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 5:47am
Great job on the tank and battery boxes.

Is the bracket with the boxes what holds boxes to the frame? The boxes on my 16 were so rusted that the only thing holding them on the tractor were a couple of the bolts on each box that attaches them to the bracket behind the seat.

I cut 1/4” angle iron and bolted to the inside of the battery box and the fender. I’m 6’4” and 260 lbs and I pull myself up on the tractor the battery box doesn’t move at all. Very solid. Yours look very good.
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic