This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6G clutch adjustment procedures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6G clutch adjustment procedures
    Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 2:31pm
Yet another question. Based on my description of my machines clutch behavior in my "how do you drive and dig with this thing" dozerdad indicated that its time to adjust the main clutch.

I have a parts breakdown and i basically understand how all the mechanics outside the clutch housing (the filled with oil part) works, but dont know which part of the many linkages and threaded rods i should be using to make the adjustment.

I also dont have a service manual yet, so not sure of the procedure. Dozerdad mentioned "a few clicks' i assume on a splined shaft? Or do i just take up the slop?

Leo
Sponsored Links

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 7:43pm
If I remember right, pull the floor plates and remove the top plate off the bell housing, dog gone it, it been years. I think it should take 35lbs to pull the clutch lever back over center. I think there is a large nut down in there that has to be turned in or out to get the right amount of lbs pull on the clutch lever. Like I said, it has been years, and it is something I only had to do once when I replaced the motor in one. I hope someone else chimes in here. Get your self a repair Manuel it is explained in detail. Make sure the clutch brake is adjusted correctly, if not you will be grinding gears.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 01 Jan 2019 at 7:43pm
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 8:18am
Sounds like my HD16. I adjusted mine and the pressure to pull lever over center was to be not less than 15 pounds or over 30 pounds on a pull meter. When I checked mine it was at 39 pounds. Book said it should be between 20 and 25 pounds.

On my 16, you pull the floor plates and take off the clutch access cover. There is a big ring with notches in it that you turn clockwise to tighter or reverse to loosen. There is a key that fits into one of the notches and a small bolt holds it in place. Loosen the bolt, don't drop this sucker,,, either tighten or in my case loosen the ring, each click or two of the ring should be enough. I turned it two clicks and then checked the pull and then kept that up till I got over 20 pounds and close to 25. Tighten the bolt and you're done.

This is the process on the HD16DC. Operators manual, and shop manual both have this outlined in it.

Good luck.
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 4:08pm
Jerbob. I think you hit it for the hd6 too. Been over 15 years since I had 1 apart.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by HD6GTOM HD6GTOM wrote:

Jerbob. I think you hit it for the hd6 too. Been over 15 years since I had 1 apart.

Thank you. Hope it helped.
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 3:08pm
Thanks everyone. We had a string of storms out here that have had me cooked up inside, so not much to post.

I do have some pictures finally since 100% of my questions have multiple request for them. Just warning you, she ain't pretty. Now i just need to find a place to host them.

Leo
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 5:18pm
You adjust the clutch thru a plate on the side of the bell housing
If you have a Rockford clutch there is an adjustment locking tab that must be removed to rotate the threaded adjustment ring.
The Auburn clutch has (3) cap screws that must be loosened not removed to rotate the adjusting ring. Stick a screwdriver thru one of the holes in the back plate to rotate the adjusting ring.
The pressure ring on the Auburn clutch has cams
The adjusting ring on the Rockford clutch has threads
Both are over center adjustments. Tighten until there is a definite snap as the throw out bearing goes over center. Don't forget to tighten the locking screws. Paint the locking screw heads white to help finding them next time.
The clutch is not meant to be slipped like a car. It is either in or out. When idling your machine take the transmission out of gear and engage the clutch.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 10:23pm
Leo....You can host your pictures here on the Forum...go to your File Manager...don't think you have filled that up yet.  Is that what you are talking about...or am I missing something? I had to go to 3rd party hosting...filled up the Forum....but actually looks like I have space again.
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 7:27pm
Thanks Mel. Just the info I needed. Will scale down and post soon.
johnkc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 6:01pm
and also don't let the machine sit and idle with the clutch disengaged as it will wear the bushing out of the engagement collar. 
I support the development of hybrid automobiles and alternative fuels as I need DIESEL fuel for my ALLIS CHALMERS!
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 6:27am
So better to put her in neutral and engage the clutch? I like to give some warm up time at the start of work and cool off time at the end of work? Or is that not nessesary?
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 6:55am
To hammer it into my feeble brain, I was told to compare to a manual tranny in a car.

You wouldn’t or couldn’t leave the clutch pedal pushed down when not in use or at idle.

Same on our AC tractors. Leave engaged unless shifting.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic