This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How not to die under an HD6G loader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How not to die under an HD6G loader
    Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 8:06pm
Hi gals & guys,

I have noticed that working on the motor of my HD6G is a huge pain with the loader in the resting position.

I have also noted that the bucket can be raised and will hold itself up for several days.

Nevertheless, I simply dont trust it to stay up, or someone to not come bump the hydraulic control. If it came down with my head under the hood in would easily chop me in two.

So, is there a pin someone can insert somwhere. That mechanicaly keeps it suspended. I assume that OSHA did't regulate such things back then, but i doubt there were many mechanics that would trust it even when it was knew!

Ideas appreciated.

Sincerely,

Leo
New HD6G owner.
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 8:24pm
You can make up a piece of angle iron, that is the extended length of the lift cylinder(s), and clamp, or trap, or wrap with chains, or wire, to keep the cyl from coming down.  Same principal, as a dump truck anti-colapse safety system...Wink
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 8:44pm
I assume you mean to clamp it around the cylinder shaft, with ends resting against the clevis on one end and the body end cap on the other?
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Leop Leop wrote:

I assume you mean to clamp it around the cylinder shaft, with ends resting against the clevis on one end and the body end cap on the other?

And if you can trap it, on the top of the cyl rod, that is even better, as it won't fall off, should the clamps fail...Wink
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 8:55pm
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 9:05pm
I'm glad you're thinking... we all wish to assume the best and not to expect the worst. I've owned and operated equipment for nearly 40 years especially loaders. We have probably all walked under a raised loader attachment at some time... thinking it's not coming down. That angle iron Dave mentioned is the way to go. Within the last two years it happened on my Cat 935 track loader. Loader was raised to the top engine shut off, while I was busy with something else not many feet away a hose burst and down came the loader attachment... the unthinkable does happen, thankfully I was not in the way. I would have made a bet it would never happen to one of my machines while not running - wrong!
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 9:25pm
Thanks Eric,

It seams as if I take a lot less chances sice the birth of my son. He has probably saved my life at least a half dozen times when I would have otherwise thought to take a short cut "because it will never happen to me". At most I have probably lost an hour or three cumulative by skiping those half dozen short cuts.
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 9:27pm
This is a support on a Bobcat. You would want to make similar, but heavier. The "U" shape is good and is easy to set in place. Angle iron with flat bar welded to it is one way you can make them.

Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 10:25pm
I have a piece of box tube that would work if i cut off one side. Walls look to be 1/4" thick. I was thinking a couple of grade eight bolts maybe at each end and one in the middle should do the job.

What do you guys think? Should i make one or two?

Leo
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 10:27pm
  Very interesting thread and some great ideas for Not taking any chances. When I removed the Backhoe off my D14 for cleaning and rebuilding,, The outrigger cylinders were holding it up right nicely and it was level to make the re-assembly easier.
   I kept worrying bout my young Grandson always wantin to help Grandpa,,,,,,,It finally bothered me to the point I cut 4 pieces of 2"X2" X 1/4" angle iron to fit snugly at both ends of the cylinders and welded them together . Never was bothered again  it would come down because of the cylinders bleeding off. Way better safe than sorry. 
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 5:37am
The box tube would work good to make a support from. One is common, but having two may give you more piece of mind if you were going to be under it for extended projects or if kids are around. Look at where the end sets on the cylinder gland when you build them. I don't know what the glands of your cylinders look like and this may not be an issue. Make sure they set flat when loaded and don't crush any raised areas of the gland, you might have to make a custom foot to fit the gland.
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 10:58am
I worked in underground coal mines all my life. the booms and cutter heads came with load locks which required hyd. pressure to release them. we always used crib blocks to block them up as required by MSHA law. Always better safe that sorry .
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 6:24pm
New Idea,

What does everyone think of mounting some high pressure valves on the drain side of the cylinders right at the cylinders.

Better yet mount them on both sides. Then when you lift the bucket simply shut off the valves. The only way the bucket could come down is if both the cylinder valve and the hydraulic controll failed on both sides. I suppose the seals on the piston could also fail, but you would still have the added displacement of the rod going back into the cylinder to hold it back unless the rod seals also failed.

Thats a lot of stuff to fail before the bucket could accidentally come down on you.
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 6:51pm
exactly
more stuff to fail

HD3
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 8:04pm
Just now thinking of this, it could be a big issue glad taking the safe route

Edited by DougG - 31 Dec 2018 at 9:06am
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 8:36pm
I simply chaned mine to the brush cab.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 30 Dec 2018 at 8:37pm
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 9:16pm
Use the KISS acronym. Keep It Simple Stupid! Don't add a bunch of valves. That will give you at least 8 more connections that could leak. A simple cylinder stop made out of a u channel is more than sufficient. I run heavy equipment for a living. Most of the ones that come with our equipment is a simple u channel with one pin in the middle. The pin is just to hold it in place. If the cylinder settles or a seal fails, all stress will be longitudinal trying to compress the channel from the ends. No actual leverage trying to pull it out of place to warrant anymore than one pin in the middle or one at each end, if the ends of the channel sit squarely on the cylinder housing and the clevis end.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 6:17am
If going to work under the lift arms for extended periods of time besides the cylinder brace remove the bucket from the arms, reduce the weight hanging out in space pulling those arms down.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 6:38am
Great advise everyone and much valued. I worked construction back in the 70’s and surrounded be heavy equipment daily. I was a pipe layer on crew working on underground projects. Have seen many short cuts made and safety overlooked. These comments are critical in a literal way.
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 8:33am
Originally posted by Leop Leop wrote:

New Idea,

What does everyone think of mounting some high pressure valves on the drain side of the cylinders right at the cylinders.

Better yet mount them on both sides. Then when you lift the bucket simply shut off the valves. The only way the bucket could come down is if both the cylinder valve and the hydraulic controll failed on both sides. I suppose the seals on the piston could also fail, but you would still have the added displacement of the rod going back into the cylinder to hold it back unless the rod seals also failed.

Thats a lot of stuff to fail before the bucket could accidentally come down on you.

My round baler has that for the end gate. I still don't much like it. Couple pieces of angle and some hose clamps to hold in place.
Lee Bradley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Bradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 1:20pm
Check out the photos on 'Recovering HD-21G for collection' on this page for angle iron supports.
Ron Eggen View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Eggen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 9:40pm
Our local retired Ford tractor dealer was working on his Bobcat with the bucket up and it came down on his head, three days later he was laid to rest.
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 7:48pm
My uncle had a john deere 400 backhoe. The deere mechanic was working on the wabble stick and decided to pull on the leavers while standing on the ground . He was crushed between the boom and out rigger . He was layed to rest a few days latter.
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 7:52pm
My dad use tell some eue opening stories about the dragline days. He talked about cables breaking and booms falling . Guys getting there fingers cut off and guys getting drug under the counter weight while oiling
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 9:48pm

Here's a picture of a cylinder support that is on one of our loaders at work. The black part is the bolt that holds it in place. Kinda hard to see, but if you can see the but welded on the top left, that is what holds it in place when in use.
Hmmm, for some reason pic is turned. Left is top.

Edited by truckerfarmer - 12 Jan 2019 at 9:50pm
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 3:12pm
Thanks everyone. We had a string of storms out here that have had me cooked up inside, so not much to post.

I do have some pictures finally since 100% of my questions have multiple request for them. Just warning you, she ain't pretty. Now i just need to find a place to host them.

Leo
dozerdan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dozerdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:20am
I think it is like mentioned in my ford  8n tractor manual .it states always lower the draw bars when done because some one or by it self can come down un anounced and take some one out. they also say there are only two safty features the ign key and your brain .
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 7:06pm
Thanks Dozer Dan. Yup the loader gets put down every night, especially after that time i left it suspended above the deck and deck rail.

My bigger concern is what to do while im working on her. So far my brain says "forget it "WE ain't gona go under that thing ever. However, it shure would be nice to be able to work on her without having to be a contortionist to get around the loader arms when the bucket is down.

At least half your suggestion is working though. Now all I need to do is add an ignition switch to her, and i should be super safe
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic