This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA wire harness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA wire harness
    Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 2:23pm
anybody have an original CA wire harness in usable shape they could part with
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 2:02am
If you just want to cobble something together, there are not that many wires to fool with. As for any of the wiring harnesses I've taken off, there is a good reason why I replaced them. However if you want first class at a reasonable price get one here. www.brillman.com The harnesses he makes for older things will match exactly what he finds to be original; the wires will be covered with a cloth spiral braid of the correct color with the correct tracer colors, along with the correct jacket type and color. They are in Mt. Jackson Va. I wouldn’t even think about going anywhere else for anything electrical. What he has for wiring harnesses is far superior than anything else that I’ve ever encountered. As far as I'm concerned to appease the Correct police, the Brillman harnesses will win hands down every time. He is even the wholesale supplier to some big name tractor parts distributors.

Edited by PaulB - 18 Dec 2018 at 2:48pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 5:59am
Frankly, I wouldn't be using a 50-60 year old wiring harness except as a template to make a new one. If one wire is 'gimpy' there's GOT to be 2 or 3 more ready to let loose gremlins ! See what Steve at B&B has to offer, if you're not OK doing it yourself.

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 9:39am
I can add that Steve at B&B makes first class wiring harnesses. I've installed one on my WD45 - looks and works great. 

Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
sparky View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 10:07am
Ditto for Steve at B&B
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 12:11pm
 Well Lou at this point looks like NO ONE has what you are looking for .Or no clue what you want it for . I do not have any used ones.  

Edited by Fred in Pa - 18 Dec 2018 at 12:16pm
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Just because you do not have the tools for job , it dose not make it a bad design.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Fred in Pa Fred in Pa wrote:

Well Lou at this point looks like NO ONE has what you are looking for .Or no clue what you want it for . I do not have any used ones.  
well, I want it for a CA. sorry, I couldn't resist

I have a CA that I recently brought home. The overall appearance is really quite good for it's age, even to most of the decal transfer being present and in fair shape. But the wiring harness is in trouble. Now I can rewire it myself, if I just was looking for function. Steve is obviously my second choice, as he makes some really nice products, but I really was trying to avoid having the appearance of 'new' on the tractor, hoping to make it look original. Steve and I have already discussed rebuilding the generator to 12v, so it would look 'original'. Instead of a 'restoration' look, I am looking more for an original look.....as much as possible
Wait for the Lord;
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 1:45pm
The shop manual available at: http://geraldj.networkiowa.com/Trees
in 9 pieces should have a good wiring diagram and information on the wiring harness.

Gerald J.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Gerald J. Gerald J. wrote:

The shop manual available at: http://geraldj.networkiowa.com/Trees
in 9 pieces should have a good wiring diagram and information on the wiring harness.

Gerald J.

\

Thanks Gerald! what you sent me has a good wiring diagram. The diagram in the book is for a cutout rather than a voltage regulator. My tractor, a '53 has a voltage regulator, but I think I can figure that out. Lots of generic diagrams on line for GM style regulators
Wait for the Lord;
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 2:48pm
gee it's EASY to make a new harness look old... grab some mud, grease,oil splatter herea and there, rub in a bit, repeat until you get the desired 'look'...
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 3:33pm
the ca had a cut out from new some body changed it i can change any cut out to 12v 
HoughMade View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoughMade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 3:37pm
The wiring harness on my B had all of 5 wires.  I built one myself.
1951 B
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 5:20pm
ya, I agree, I can build it myself, done so on a couple of my WD-45, WD's. But, different connectors and insulation than originally used

and thanks for the cut out info!

Edited by LouSWPA - 18 Dec 2018 at 5:21pm
Wait for the Lord;
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 7:14pm
The cutout was used with a three brush generator that had current adjusted by the light switch so protecting the battery from over charging was a task for the tractor operator. Going to a generator with a regulator is a step more modern and forward and can significantly increase battery life. The regulator in an alternator is solid state and a bit more precise than the generator regulator so is better on the battery, and the alternator doesn't draw current from the battery at slow engine speeds like the generator with voltage regulator (that includes a cutout) or a cutout so the alternator cares for the battery even better.

Gerald J.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 2:48pm
Lou,
I can build you a new one and then go roll it in one of the many mud puddles we have outside, and then it'll look original......  LMAO!!   Thumbs Up   Thanks guys for the kudos! Its appreciated!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic