This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Got my new "Nelson" for my WD...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got my new "Nelson" for my WD...
    Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 6:37pm
Came in from SimplyFilter last week. Nice and heavy, can definitely tell it is different than a Stanley. However, I think based on my manifolds, I can only install it on the one tractor that already has a Nelson? The other one has what appears to be an older WD style manifold?

The new muffler ($125):

Here's the one I put a Stanley muffler in awhile ago; think it is an old WD style manifold.

This is the one that has a Nelson on it currently -- seems to have a WD-45 style manifold?

Just wondering if I had a better-than-Stanley upgrade option for the other tractor, since it seems like a Nelson isn't a drop-in?
Sponsored Links

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 7:07pm
Here's the AC part # for the WD (not WD45) #219534
like your WD manifold in the middle pic
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Carl(NWWI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 12:30am
Glad I seen this, the WD I just picked up has that same style manifold. The muffler I was going to get won't work then. Interesting. would a CA muffler fit it?
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 7:46am
Slid right on my D17, sounds great. 
But yes, it would not go on that type of manifold.
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 8:47am
I couldn't find a muffler like that on simply filter website. It looks like it's made the same as the one I got from DJs. The hole spacing might be different. Does it fit more than a WD/WD45? I see the numbers 258 5388 on it, is that the part number? I may go back to their website and type that in the search bar and see what happens.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 10:19am
here's mine
Charlie

DavidnTenIll View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidnTenIll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 8:15pm
Couldn't help but notice your post. That muffler is their 05388T (AC # 70229531) which is correct for WD45 or early D17. The WD muffler is a 03154T (AC #70219534) Both are 1 3/4" inlet by the way. WD's had a separate sheet metal bracket and band that are not available but you could fab. The muffler you have should work fine. (If you bandsaw off extension)
DavidnTenIll View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidnTenIll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 8:42pm
They are not currently making 03154T. Stanley muffs aren't worth carrying home imho. Sorry I couldn't help that but I speak from experience.
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 6:11pm
Don(MO) -- Was afraid it was different; thanks for confirming.

Carl -- Not sure about that.

Ranse -- 05388T is the number on SimplyFilter's website.

Charlie -- Oooh, looks purty!!

Davidn TenIII -- Yeah, shame they don't make the 03154T. Guess I'm stuck with a Stanley on the other for now. Unless somebody else makes something good?
Brian Ahart View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Ahart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 8:10pm
Take a look at my website for additional information on the straight through (non-oval) Nelson mufflers.  Fortunately, the 05388T units are still available.  I bought two 03154T mufflers for my original '52 WD directly from Nelson (when they were still selling direct on eBay) about two years ago, however it's possible they have discontinued those.  When I last inquired about the 04566T several years ago, there was a six week lead time, however I suspect they are NLA also.

A-C Weight ID reference and other goodies at brianahart.net
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 8:27pm
Oh hey, nice website! I've actually run across it a few times before, and it has been quite handy. Nice to see the bracket for the WD muffler. I remember grandpa having another older WD that still had that setup on it (the WD I have, that bracket has been long, long gone). It's a shame Nelson doesn't seem to make that style of muffler anymore; guess I'll live with the Stanley for now.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Ranse Ranse wrote:

I couldn't find a muffler like that on simply filter website. It looks like it's made the same as the one I got from DJs. The hole spacing might be different. Does it fit more than a WD/WD45? I see the numbers 258 5388 on it, is that the part number? I may go back to their website and type that in the search bar and see what happens.

http://www.simplyfilter.com/05388t-nelson-global-products-muffler-p/05388t.htm
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by garden_guy garden_guy wrote:

Came in from SimplyFilter last week. Nice and heavy, can definitely tell it is different than a Stanley. However, I think based on my manifolds, I can only install it on the one tractor that already has a Nelson? The other one has what appears to be an older WD style manifold?

The new muffler ($125):

Here's the one I put a Stanley muffler in awhile ago; think it is an old WD style manifold.

This is the one that has a Nelson on it currently -- seems to have a WD-45 style manifold?

Just wondering if I had a better-than-Stanley upgrade option for the other tractor, since it seems like a Nelson isn't a drop-in?

so is the consensus this is a original Nelson muffler? or a exact replica? or, non of the above?

Edited by LouSWPA - 18 Dec 2018 at 10:09pm
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 6:44am
I never had an original Nelson, but it sounds way better than others currently on the market and is built different.
There is no "Nelson" stamp on it.
Charlie

bberry View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 1:51pm
Just received my new SS muffler from DJS. Highly satisfied. Very high quality.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

so is the consensus this is a original Nelson muffler? or a exact replica? or, non of the above?

Well... I haven't taken my old NELSON off to check it, but the style is definitely the same but it doesn't have NELSON on the muffler like the original does. Also haven't checked to see if the seams are all welded in the same spot, but offhand they see pretty close. What I'm more curious of is if the flange pointing down is two piece welded on the original like the new one or not. Absolutely different from the Stanley tho. Here's a picture straight down the pipe on the new one:

Edited by garden_guy - 19 Dec 2018 at 6:25pm
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 6:34am
So what the big deal on these nelson mufflers? For $125 they must do something special.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 1:08pm
I also wonder about this Gary . The muffler on our gas D 15 leans and is pretty ugly but it sounds ok to me . My son bought a new muffler at TSC . Guess it's a Stanley . It also sounds pretty good to me . It is a little loud . Should say this one is a diesel D 15 . Interesting post . THANKS

Edited by ACinSC - 20 Dec 2018 at 1:14pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 1:39pm
Nelson's sound good. Plus the design is very weather tolerant where it won't allow rain into the exhaust manifold
Charlie

ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 2:15pm
Charlie if your D17 sounds as good as it looks it's probably worth $100 . Wonder if that's the same muffler that our gas D 15 takes ? Have any pics of the base ? Thanks
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 7:25pm
The Nelson sounds different, and better IMO. Has more of a "kitten purr". A lot heavier built than the Stanleys. I think the one on my WD has lasted a good 30-40 years (it was on the tractor when I got it in circa 1992 or so, and it has lasted since then). The other tractor has had 6 Stanleys since I can remember.
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 7:51pm
I did find the 05388T muffler on simply filter website. But, It appears I would need the 04566T for a D10. That number would not come up, so I assume it's NLA. I liked the stainless steel muffler I had from DJs, to bad I bent it right after putting it on. I believe it was heavier than a Stanley. It sounded a little different too. Weather it was better or not I suppose would be a matter of opinion, but I liked it better. I'm with some of the others, what's so great about a Nelson sound? You're paying for the sound, because at $125 you could buy four Stanley's. I can't say anything, I paid $116 for the stainless steel one, and I'll probably end up getting another one since I can't get the Nelson.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 8:06pm
Here's some video of my tractor with the Nelson on it out running at full throttle.

Unfortunately I don't have a Stanley video to compare it with.

Edited by garden_guy - 20 Dec 2018 at 8:07pm
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 8:23pm
Sounds good. I can almost smell the dirt . Thanks
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2018 at 8:57pm
Who'd of ever thought my being kinda of hard of hearing would save
me $100?(LOL)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic