This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coop closing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coop closing
    Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 6:55am
Sorry to hear. Our co-op system keeps talking mergers and buyouts. This is never good for the smaller farmers in my opinion. Its became more about making money than giving a farmer the best prices for their products. They are competitive on some things but it's getting easier to buy on line cheaper. Thus the farm retail nemisouus.when tobacco was prominant in this area and there were 52 dairy's in our county ( now there is one in the county) the co-op here thrived. Now , its a struggle. I don't won't to drive 45 miles to get fertilize or feed. Good luck in your situation without that hometown feeling it will be tough.
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
Sponsored Links

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 7:39pm
I'm gonna stop in late tomorrow and wish all the employees Good Luck. There is no other employer within 25 miles. Callie, the office manager has been there 10+ years. She loads the feed/cracked corn/oats one bag at a time, just like a guy and runs the forklift like a pro. If she isn't busy in the office she has a broom in her hands sweeping up her warehouse.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 5:17pm
well, I am completely ignorant on the subject, so I'm learning
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
CaseyCreek View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaseyCreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

I always thought COOP, or CO-OP stood for a group of people with a common interest like maybe a group of area growers getting together and building their own storage facilities and elevators. As such it wouldn't be moving around as the owners are the users
That was the good ole days Lou.  Now it's all about the money.  They are still owned by the customers, but the BOARD is looking at the bottom line and they don't even KNOW WHO started the Co-op or what it's about.  They won't service me anymore as it's not big enough to warrant stopping.....Pfffftt.......

You are going to have to stuff the board.  Since all the members of a co-op should qualify to vote and their are more members who are small than who are large, you should be able out-vote the large members.  Of course, then you have to deal with the bigger farmers saying their votes count for more and all of that, but the situation is winnable.  Not without cost, but winnable. 

Co-op laws were written specifically to stop this sort of thing.  If you are diligent, the law will often be on your side.  Lots of times the issue starts because the voting membership doesn't vote.  The farmers with a vested interest will be sure to vote and then the board gets populated even though the individual board members aren't representing the co-op but themselves. 
D17 Series III,D17 Series IV, 185
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

I always thought COOP, or CO-OP stood for a group of people with a common interest like maybe a group of area growers getting together and building their own storage facilities and elevators. As such it wouldn't be moving around as the owners are the users
That was the good ole days Lou.  Now it's all about the money.  They are still owned by the customers, but the BOARD is looking at the bottom line and they don't even KNOW WHO started the Co-op or what it's about.  They won't service me anymore as it's not big enough to warrant stopping.....Pfffftt.......
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 10:49pm
I'm gonna stop in at our local agriland/FS and see if they know about this. They might be interested in the fert plant/nh3 setup. Most Agrilands around here got out of the grain business years ago. Might have to volenter to run it for them.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 10:18pm
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 9:56pm
You would think they could use the grain facility and warehouse even if they move the fertilizer to one location.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 8:09pm
Our Burnett dairy Co-opertives hired a big snotshot CEO, of course the ones on the board of directories were the ones that approved such thing... and they were the big farmers of the area... te small farmers have been quiting and the ceo says he doesn't need any small farmers, theres milk going past the plant every day, just have them stop and dump their lods there.... awhile ago, they sent out letters mistakenly and saw the true evil that resides up there... saying that they were shutting down any small farmer...  then they were caught with their pants down and had to do some damage control and backstepping... well, now I heard a local dairyman has  bunch of his cows dry and they are telling him he has to little milk to stop for him... and it isn't even their trucks stopping. They had sold the trucks about 4-5 years ago... Sheesh!!!  Just burns me, This plnt was built by the local farmers and it should not matter who or how much milk the farmer has, they should be honoring the farmers in the area FIRST before buying outside milk for more. Angry Censored Angry Censored  Angry Censored Angry Censored  Angry Censored!!!!
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 4:52pm
Not Agriland, Coop
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 4:12pm
Sorry to hear the sad news... ?modern times? maybe equals not so much common sense, at least in our mind... so much for 'service'.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
soggybottomboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soggybottomboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 3:43pm
Is it agriland fs?
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 12:20am
yep...I worked for a fertilizer/chemical place for several years, they had stores in 5 towns, now there are none. the closest dry fert plant is over 30 miles away, and then they charge you milage to deliver and pick up the empties. I tried to charge them mileage when I took back the empties myself, they told me it doesn't work that way!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 11:24pm
Our local Coop was bought out by one of the very large coops, now these guys are going to close our local coop this friday. 3 years ago they spent millions improving the grain systems, new scale, 9 years ago a complete new warehouse at this location. Really hard to believe. Its been here since the 1950's. Largest employer in town. Moving everything over 30 miles south. I guess with cheap gas they can pull fert and NH3 that far. Only place left close that still has dry fert and carts you can use. Everybody else puts it on for you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic