This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

dually's?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dually's?
    Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 5:46am
Not all semi's are swapping to Super Singles and those that have are already figuring out the bad aspects, They 'float', on rain, on snow on mud pretty much everything with very little traction in all. Are fine for long distance highway in perfect conditions and do reduce drag as to rolling resistance but that is about all. They are problematic, have a flat are stuck, no limping on the second tire dual to a service center, MUST be consistently watched for pressure and heating as once start to heat is unrelenting until the carcass fails, tire thumping is worthless and a gauge Must be used everytime. One particular odd aspect is sidewall 'Roll' if you get sea sick these are NOT your cup of tea, they also are tucked deeper inside the dimension of the machine where roll over is at a lesser angle, on a dually pickup one aspect of safety is they are well Wider in the load carry region and not so side roll(waddle) sensitive. Duals have their place, can chain a single tire in duals for better snow/ice traction, have load share but not the float of a wide tire, will dig to a useable traction soil or thru snow, do have the expense of two on one hub as opposed to the SS but those are nearly as expensive as a set of duals, wheels are ALL position unlike SS wheels. Pickups with extra wide tires are hogs on ice in slick, I have actually gone BACK to narrower lug tires on my 99 SD F250 as better traction and durability.

Edited by DMiller - 03 Dec 2018 at 5:49am
Sponsored Links

Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 10:30am
Semi's are going to singles for load wheels pick ups are going to duals. Makes my head itch.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:48am
It's not a good idea to put dual wheels... or really wide ones, or spacers... on any axle that's not a 'full floating' design.

Rear axles come in different flavors.  MOST standard-duty axles use a 'semi floating' design, which means you have a tube, with a bearing, and an axle shaft sticking out, with a flange with studs to mount the wheel.

A full-floater has an axle tube that has a hollow spindle on the end.  That spindle has TWO bearings (inner and outer), that a hub with studs rides on.  The axle slips down through the middle, with a small flange on the outer end that bolts to the nose of the spindle.

The difference being how the load is supported, and how the wheel is driven:

In a semi-floating axle, the load is supported on the same axle shaft, as is transmitting force to drive the vehicle.

in a full-floating axle, the load is supported by the spindle on axle tube... driving force is only through the axle shaft inside.

The latter is substantially stronger than the former, AND... if you break an axle shaft, the full-floater is still totally safe to roll.  The semi-floating axle will NOT roll safely- the axle will work it's way out... and the wheel will become dearly departed.

IF you put a dually-kit on, please only do it to a full-floater axle... the farther the tire's load is from that flange, the greater the amount of leverage is applied to the wheel mounting face.  A full-floater axle transfers that to the tube, while the semi-floater focuses all that leverage on the axle shaft.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:07am
Originally posted by truckerfarmer truckerfarmer wrote:

I'm betting he wants to haul that derned snow machine to the scrapper. It's dumping to much on him, and he's getting sick of the pretty.😁

That right there is exactly what I told him 3-4 days ago,,the Gyro-whatch-a-macallit is screwed up big time cause it shootin straight up 'stead of OUT and Away,,,,,tee, hee, hee,,,,ClapClap
 I bet he be a lot more careful of pointin it at "HIS FRIENDS" from here on out,,,,,WinkWink
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 8:08am
What is known as Unsprung load stress will not bode well for adding these so-called dually kits. The extending out off center on the wheel bearings of load stresses is not good. Over many years have seen these work out well for those that have little need for loaded weight as to duals such as extended wheel footprint to support a light RV but for those that used them as heavy trucks they ate seals and wheel bearings regularly. Also very hard on lug studs unless pull and verify the torque on them regularly, no impact or guessed armstrong torque to these.

Have seen old pickups converted to duals under a narrow flatbed for load capacity on the standard hubs, tires will get close to springs not always against them where borrowing a rim or substituting a dually spare for a existing tire will show if can work. If HAVE to HAVE for weight factor, find a salvage yard, buy a close year model wide dually housing axle, rebuild and exchange it into your own truck.   That I have done several times with excellent results.

Edited by DMiller - 02 Dec 2018 at 8:11am
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 7:59am
I'm betting he wants to haul that derned snow machine to the scrapper. It's dumping to much on him, and he's getting sick of the pretty.😁
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

any of ya'll ever put them dually kits on your trucks? see an ad from "arrowcraft.com"

What ya need duals for...…? To haul your money to the bank...? Darrel
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 8:47pm
I purchased several kits for ferds when I had the tire shop. I never heard of any problems with them. I got them from my tire wholesale warehouse. I do not remember the brand name. They came with a spacer for both sides, 4 new rims and 16 lug nuts. The spacers were bolted to the original hubs with the original lug nuts.
MNLonnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNLonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 8:28pm
I had a dually kit I could put on one of my Jeeps way back when. I had 40" tires inside and 38.5" outside front and rear. The taller tires inside made it easier on the steering when on hardpack. Made it too wide to haul but it would float in open water.
Waukesha B, B, IB, G, styled WF, D15, 615 backhoe, 2-Oliver OC3's, 4 Ford Model T's, 3 Model A Fords, AV8 Coupe, AV8 Roadster, 1933 Ford Wrecker
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 2:35pm
any of ya'll ever put them dually kits on your trucks? see an ad from "arrowcraft.com"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic