This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA engine rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 10:04pm
Installed the new needle and seat in the carb. The old one, which was shown in a picture earlier, relied on gravity to pull the needle down. The new one has the wire clip that goes on the float to pull down on it. I wonder if the old Viton tipped one was sticking for that reason?  I guess we will see.

Got the tractor out of storage. Jacked it up, removed the front end and my "engine replacer". Pulled the throwout bearing and installed a new one. I couldn't get the old one off by hand, but the puller pulled it off with ease.

Rolled the table over to it and swung the engine into position.

Discovered that 3/8" extensions make pretty good line up dowels.

I sanded the bolster a little right around where the crank pulley goes- there seemed to be two high spots.  I took the oil pan down, squeezed a tiny bead of silicone on the edge of the front cover gasket, and bolted the bolster tight. Put the oil pan back up for now without the gasket.

Good grief, from this

to this, in less than 45 minutes!

Note the massive shed antler I found in the clean bench picture!

Got the manifold and carb installed, generator installed, new water pump, etc.

Test fit the thermostat. I took the rubber and brass piece out, and cleaned the housing. The stat fits in a recess in the housing so nice, I can't see where a gasket should go. Any ideas, otherwise it goes together as is.

Thanks for looking.

The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
Sponsored Links

Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 7:11am
Shop manual shows a gasket under the thermostat. Likely there to keep coolant from leaking around the thermostat, but might not be all bad if some does. Nice trick with the 3/8" extensions - I'll have to remember that one. I'm not going to say anything about your ability to trash a workbench as I have real skills there myself! LOL
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 7:50am
Ryan,
 The bottom work bench picture looks a lot like mine most of the time. I amaze myself that I can get anything done on 14 feet of work bench and a 4 inch square area to work!
Nice job getting the engine installed! Gives me some incentive! Good use of the 3/8 extensions too!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 30 Apr 2019 at 7:51am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 9:13am
Gasket goes between the housing and stat. A spring holds the stat in place. I have made a new bottom plate that bolts to the bottom of the housing. I have the plates for sale if you need one.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 11:15pm
Finally getting back on the job. The month of May with two active kids is just a mad rush to the end of school.
At any rate, this is the closest thing I could find for a thermostat gasket in the gasket set that came with the overhaul kit. Had to trim the ID to get it to fit over the thermostat.

And what the hell is this? A thermostat block off gasket?

Modified it for my application.

Ahhh yes, the "overtightened and leaking so tighten it some more" oil filter base!

Sanded it down flat again.

Reinstalled it (probably overtightened it)

Well, here we go with that newfangled distributor thing. Got my "center" mark in the middle of the hole,

Got the setscrew pointing straight up (nevermind that run in the paint, that was already there!)

And, both push rods are loose. What more could you want?

Installed the whole distributor assembly a few times, took a couple tries before I got it to line up with the #1 plug wire.

Junior taking care of a few miscellaneous odds and ends.

Made a new gasket for the radiator mount bracket. Now here is the definition of trust- Handing a hammer to a 10 year old standing on a chair and holding the punch for him!

Put a little silicone on the joints above the oil pan gasket.

I hold gaskets in place with tiny zip ties. You can put the pan up, start 4 bolts, then snip them and gently pull them out and install the rest of the bolts.

Years ago, I read several of Roger Welch's books. In the one where he resurrects a WC ( I think) he talks about some plastic pieces called "snap ups" or something like that. They hold the gasket up  and you pull them out after starting all the other bolts. I have absolutely no idea why that popped into my mind while I was installing the pan. Maybe I should read his books again.

Anyways, gave everything up top a good dousing of oil. Relax, I cleaned and flushed that jug thoroughly before using it for engine oil.

I didn't have enough hands to video the initial startup, and junior was nowhere to be found. But I can't believe how fast the engine fired up. However, it was laboring pretty bad. Loosened up the distributor and turned it a little counterclockwise till it smoothed out nice.

So there we are, right back where we started.

I'm going to check the timing with a timing light yet. Other than that, I will probably change the oil after a few hours, and we should be good to go.  I thought about a dyno run to break in the engine, but it may have to break in on my lawn, when it stops raining.

I would like to thank everyone for the advice and help with parts along the way. Hopefully I never see the inside of this engine again.

Actually, that's my goal every time I'm in an engine.

Thanks for looking!

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 7:11am
Ryan,
Thank you for the documentation on the engine work and the installation. Since I am not familiar with the CA tractors, I will use this as a reference.  Great work with your son helping! Really enjoyed following along with you.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 7:57am
Show us more of your leaf vac. I have an old blower here from an old vac trailer, and would like to put it to use.
 My first thought on that block off gasket, was the back port on the WD that just had a flat plat to cover it. The WC's use to have both ports in the top of the head connected to the top rad hose. Sometime , they switched to just using the front port.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 9:13am
For Chris I have a shop manual on line that covers the CA:

http://geraldj.networkiowa.com/Trees/Allis-Chalmers-G-B-C-CA-Service.pdf 

Gerald J.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Gerald J. Gerald J. wrote:

For Chris I have a shop manual on line that covers the CA:

http://geraldj.networkiowa.com/Trees/Allis-Chalmers-G-B-C-CA-Service.pdf 

Gerald J.
Thanks for the link Gerald! I need to do a brake job on my CA, this helps a lot!

Marv, nice work on the CA. There could be an overhaul in my future and this thread will be valuable.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 5:45pm
Here is the story on the leaf vac. Its not done yet.

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 9:50am
Originally posted by littlemarv littlemarv wrote:

Here is the story on the leaf vac. Its not done yet.

Thanks for the link. I missed this when you posted evidently.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic