This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are "they" lookin,,,,,??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are "they" lookin,,,,,??
    Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:52am
 With all the current goings on of facebook, twitter,, Google,,hell,,, prolly even the cawnor grocery guy of all kinds of "lookin over your shoulder" .  I am concerned of just exactly what  goes on in our USED to be,,Private Domains,,,,,???
 I just read where an investigation revealed that those millenial doo-dads, Alexia and others with them cute catchy names have been determined to be listening recording and transmitting what you say in your private homes,,,,CHIT,,,,!!!
   Now,,I had those concerns and is why I never felt the need to buy one of them Alexas to talk to in the house,,,I figure if I need to talk to a female over a drink of a fine wine,,,I'll do the picking out,,,Ya know,,?? But I would not want any of THAT conversation being transmitted to others in an office somewhere in Timbucktoo. 
Sometime ago there was a study where some monitors had a built in camera in em,,,,,MY question,,   How does one find out  if your monitor gots one of those spy cameras,,???
Sponsored Links

Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:30am
I'm wit you Joe. Don't have any of them Alexa's or WIFI refrigerators. In fact, though my tv is capable, it's not connected to the net. This computer was made for that and it's the only thing connected.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 6:02am
I read an article the other day that the new 'Roomba' robots are so smart ,they KNOW how many people are in your house and where  and the layout of every room. That info is 'uploaded' into the 'cloud' to Irobot(and others), so that the NEST t-stat on your wall can be setback cause it( Honeywell) KNOWS no one is home !
If you read the 'terms and conditions'  of any device these days you actually give 'them' your data for free and they can do with it as they want(IE sell to 3rd parties ). The other scary ones are the 'save $$ for auto insurance by installing their 'device' '.The device is a computer that plugs into your OBD2 port, has GPS, G force sensors,records speed,braking, etc. to 'them'. Get into an accident and 'they' know you were speeding, never hit the brakes and not wearing selt belt, radio on(and the station(and the volume))...so they can disallow your claim. They also sell the data to anyone for a price.
I get 3-5 emails with links to the 'latest and greatest' E-tech..most deal with 'smart cars' and IOT ( Internet of Things). Thse articles tend to be 'behind the scenes', how the stuff works and I'm both impressed AND scared. Big Brother IS here, everywhere !

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 8:35am
 Does anybody know how to tell if your monitor has the built camera,,? I've looked all over the outer screen,,can't see one but,,,???? I got my tape ready if there is one,,,,Clap
 Here's something,,If all them electronics KNOW you ain't home,,it be just a matter of time before that info is sold to highest bidding crook,,,,,,

Edited by desertjoe - 23 Nov 2018 at 8:37am
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 8:51am
Well my laptop has one on it at the top of the screen on the frame.
I believe when I bought it I turned off that function. Don't remember now how I did it.
I get what you are sayin.
Turn it off, unplug it or switch it off when your not there.

Try not to be naked when your surfing the web.

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 9:54am
DJ this is one and there are more if you google (Tracked) or duckduckgo (most likely not).

1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 9:55am
If it has a camera it's usually at the top center,  usually just laptops, but now with skype there maybe one in desktop monitors as well.  TV's are all coming with them. I guess the kids video games allow you to see who you are playing against, and they can be anywhere in the world.  Even if you disable the camera in the software, it can still be used by someone remotely.  Your best bet is to fix them like that dashboard idiot light that won't go off, a piece of black tape!  if you have a desktop or even a laptop, and you are really paranoid, you could get an old type crt monitor.  If you are using a laptop, you would also need a keyboard and mouse, and change your settings to; "Do Nothing When Closed", in your power or screen settings.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Bob D. (La) Bob D. (La) wrote:

I'm wit you Joe. Don't have any of them Alexa's or WIFI refrigerators. In fact, though my tv is capable, it's not connected to the net. This computer was made for that and it's the only thing connected.

X2, Bob. I don't want any of that junk in my house. If I think anyone needs to know what I am doing I will tell them. Got a cousin that worked for a big forest equipment dealer as a service tech on the road and they tracked all of his driving, one mile and hour over the speed limit and he got written up and they were getting ready to put cameras inside and outside of the service trucks. He retired early and took a job with the local Kubota dealer, better pay and benefits.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 10:23am
My 82 yo father has had a saying for years; "people are stupid".
As I became older this comment made more sense along with others that had been around a very long time.
With a son and daughter in their early 20's, makes for interesting conversations as they heard all of Grandpa's sayings relayed by me.
Now they talk of the same and it just shows that maturity takes some time, helps to boil down some of the modern junk into common sense.
One of the most profound to them is "if it is said enough, people will eventually believe it as truth".
To hear young folks question things like the social media sites gives me hope for sure.

I worked for a major corporation that jumped on the Blackberry phones when they rolled them out commercially around 2002/2003. We quickly had over 1000 employees with them, most folks that were on 24 hr. call, and now we had e-mails hitting us nights/weekends so there was literally no escaping work.
Actually asked our IT guy about company ability to view us through the company laptops at night as most of us worked from our homes or on the road. It was after hours so maybe he was just relaxed enough to divulge some stuff and the biggest was "they" had the ability to watch us any time they wanted, advising "a piece of white tape should be put over the camera" and he disabled the microphone remotely on my co. laptop.
I called BS on all of it and he shut me down with a simple statement; company owned the laptop and had the right to do whatever they wanted to with it remotely and if I did not like it, I had the right to also leave the company. I did within the next two years as they finally got around to installing mandatory cameras and cabin microphones in co. vehicles in my district.
Plenty of other horror stories but the simple truth is the government allows all these tracking devices to be implemented as they also have access to same for tracking when needed.
The larger auto insurance carriers now promote plugging their device into your vehicle port so they can "assist you in your safe driving habits to make you a better driver".
Really? Can anyone see where this will be the new factor for "high risk" fees or dropping you?
All of it is introduced to obtain your information and it has been going on forever; as a joke, I returned a credit card app. mailer with the family cat's name back in 2002 when I lived in Colorado.
I still get cc offers for that cat and just received one this week based on his "great credit".
The genie is out of the bottle as they say and I fear there is no actual way around it.
I do not shop on-line, no commercial media sites, nothing.
But I have credit cards, I have e-mail and I still have a physical mailing address so it will never stop.
Just paid my last invoice for a "smart phone" as I am returning to a good ol' flip phone that I can carry working, including in my pocket while on the tractor.
Guess I'll just have to live with using the 3-5 letters for each number to write a text but frankly getting tired of that crap too.

I gotta go as just seen a commercial on tv for the latest version of "candy crush", and they said it's FREE!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 11:41am
I go to DC almost every year to harass the legislators into supporting farmers, etc.  Ran into a friend from way back in the 70's who is in the security business.  Was told there are sensors in tunnels all around Capital Hill that can tell what a person has in their pockets, including the type and value of their change!   That, to me is pretty scary.  I still don't know why anyone needs a "smart" refrigerator or any other household appliance.  Someone saw my flip phone the other day and asked if it was steam powered?  Told him, No, this one only has a crank, the steam powered ones are newer then mine!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 12:19pm
flip phone here...although I do have an I-pod (does calendar, email and stuff but need wi-fi to get some stuff done.  I put a sticky note over my lap-top camera.  Once in a while I think about smart phone but am enjoying life without one, so why bother.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 9:56pm
Off topic I put up a couple of trail cameras a while back. We could not figure out why we had 1000 pictures of the drive way and a couple of me mowing the lawn and a couple dozen of the dog chasing cars on 1 of the cameras. Got to looking real close and you could see honey bees in the picture setting off the camera. If those things are sensitive enough to be set off by things as small as bees, think of what your smart phones are capable of doing. I think I'll invite ol Shameless over, might get that elusive picture of him everybody's been wanting to see, ya think?
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 8:05am
so you folks think the fwip phone is secure?

Way back when Tony Soprano and the boys were in business, they took the batts outta the fwips before getting down to business.  LOL
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 8:36am
Older brother passed away many years ago now, when he was alive and visited would always stay under roof or away from anyplace exposed. He was a Major in Nuclear Weapons Security, stated they could and did know his whereabouts at any particular time, he would leave his security badge AT HOME in a safe when came to visit but said they had other tracking mechanisms to 'Know' where almost anyone was at any point in time. He would not say anything outside as should the satellite cameras be watching they had image clarity good enough to read lips in VIDEO back then. He passed away in 1993 FYI.

Imagine the amount of improvements since then. Every Driver's license is 'Chipped', so are CC as are Debit Cards and ID for Corporate badges or Cell Phones. Is no way we can get away from 'Big Brother'. I would be certain this communication is being monitored.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 10:26am
Just last year, I confronted my local Chase bank branch about tellers scanning my DL by sliding it through a unit next to their computer screen.
When he advised it was to confirm my ID, I asked why they did not just look at the picture as I was standing in front of them.
He did not know what to say, then I advised him that my DL was government issued and Chase bank had no right whatsoever to slide my license so as to scan my info contained on the magnetic strip.
He was then told that I would hold my DL up so his staff could verify anything they needed, but they would no longer be handed my DL.

Yeah, the genie is out of the bottle but I like pushing back sometimes as the youth "in charge" only know the current methods.

My favorite story on the "roomba" is the video showing the folks with white carpet throughout the house, and what happened when Fido had an "accident" in the house when everyone was gone.
Guess that robot needs a "poop sniffer" built-in so it can go around such things as it sure made a helluva mess out of that nice white carpet, and the robot.
LMAO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic