This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

plastic in the oceans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: plastic in the oceans
    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 11:28am
One of the biggest stories in the news lately is all of the plastic trash in the oceans. From what I see and hear, it very potentially is a serious problems. Perhaps more than just the greenies making a mountain out of a molehill. But, now me being a hick from the sticks, I can't begin to fathom how all of this plastic makes its way to the ocean. Are cities just backing garbage trucks up to rivers and letting it go. ..? I know that lots of careless people throw trash into rivers at times, but how does so much accumulate. They say that the Pacific Ocean garbage pit is the size of Texas. I guess coming from a state that has less people in the whole state than what most of the cities along the coast lines have in them, I probably am just a little out of touch with reality. But don't most of these cities have garbage trucks that pick up everyone's garbage and dispose of it in a responsible manner. Obviously I am missing something here. I am pretty sure that none of my plastic garbage makes it to the ocean, because it doesn't get past my burn barrel. Darrel
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 11:41am
You can't even imagine all the litter thrown out onto streets lat alone the ocean . 
I just finished a 3 week stint on driving a end dump tractor trailer through the west end of Mpls MN picking up leaves from streets . Everything picked up is hauled into recycling center  for composting - but the other junk - well the plastic goes in with the leaves to be picked out later by someone . 
 city sweeps the streets twice after leaves are picked up and it's amazing the amount of trash in those sweepings also . 
 The city has curb side pickup of items (for free) like appliances, furniture, mattresses and large household items that won't go in regular trash pickup but you still see junk laying around or thrown on streets . 
 then figure all the shipping on oceans where trash is just thrown overboard or like NY City use to just load their garbage onto barges and take it out into ocean and dump it . 
 Up here in states where trash is recycled or buried - a different disposal stream is used but figure how many people live along shorelines that just throw their trash into rivers or the ocean and you can see where the trash flows might come from  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 1:00pm
I've heard that cargo ships FULL of recyclable plastics from USA/CAN go to the 'far east'. Seems we don't physically recycle here in NA.'They' pick out the 'good' plastics, then toss the rest in the rivers..goes into ocean.
I KNOW we here in  Ontario do NOT truly recycle all plastics and a LOT of it goes into landfills. Little things like coffee cups and lids do NOT get recycled up here, 100% into landfills for the next 10,000 years..
Recycling is  asore spot wth me as I've seen local guvs here BURY yard waste(grass and branches), 2by4s(construction wood), drywall(great in teh veggie garden BTW) and fan belts ! Yes, fan belts...kinda like a tall ,skinny tire to me (rubber and belts) do NOT get recycled with car tires....
One of the big problems with 'plastics' is the different types as they can't be mixed.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 1:02pm
And it's not just America, currents circulate the whole global water system.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 2:20pm
Back when I was growing up recycling was hardly ever mentioned but more of it was done back then and very little went into the trash. Glass coke bottles (that's pop bottles for you people up nawth) were collected, washed and reused. Grocery bags were made of paper and were used as school book covers, getting vegetables out of the garden, etc. plus they would decompose. Feed, seed, and fertilizer came in cloth or paper bags, some were fancy enough to use for everyday dresses, aprons, dish cloths, quilts, etc. Coffee, lard, and things like that came in tin cans not plastic and if not reused would rust away in a landfill. And in butchering hogs nothing was wasted if it were cold enough the kids would catch the squeal in a jar and use it for whistles when it thawed out. Now a days just about everything comes in plastic. And like Coke says - a lot of cities just dump their garbage in the ocean.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 2:58pm
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/06/90-of-plastic-polluting-our-oceans-comes-from-just-10-rivers/[/URL]
90 % comes from Asia. The other 10% is from the rest of the world. If I rember correctly less than 1% is from the U.S. The US has been pretty good about cleaning its self up for many years. Banning plastic straw has about as much effect as removing one grain of sand out of a semi load and expecting it to make a differance. The sacred river gange in India is so filthy you can't step foot in it. Your better off diving into an open septic system.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 3:42pm
Dumping in the ocean here on the left would get a longer prison term than murder I would guess. Who knows what gets recycled but I have a nice blue bin from the garbage company, and there are still several places to take approved drink containers to get your nickel back you fronted the state  to buy it. Funny how more bottles come to Caly than they got nickels when the store sells them.

If you have not heard the "progressives" want to do away with the store giving you any kind of bag, but most of all plastic ones.  Out here this will save the ocean from getting more plastic, according to them.

But when you think about it the ocean current, brings thinking to North America. All the refuse from the tidal wave a few years ago in Japan floated up 18 months to 2 years latter.   The big pile in the Pacific ocean is Asia's garbage. But under the no common scent government we need to suffer dum clingers that we are.

But to my little pea brain it would be better to use glass and metal containers that would recycle a little better. But I have not done a $100 million dollar study so my guess could be wrong.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 10:46pm
The single source recycling has improved some in down stream recycling - everything into one container and hand sorted later - 
 Remember the cases of soft drinks and or beer bottles that got returned - a 3 or 5 cent deposit each and some people i know paid or a road trip by picking up bottles along the road to pay for gas . 
 When milk came in bottles - then later paper cartons , oil came in cans and later in paper quart containers (just don't let them get wet in back of truck)
 Then PLASTIC was the new wave and now the wave is overwhelming the landfills and oceans . 
 Friend now uses shredded tires for back fill around foundations for drainage and also in septic system drain fields - costs less than aggregate and works just as well if not better as it's lighter to handle .  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 8:14am
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

The single source recycling has improved some in down stream recycling - everything into one container and hand sorted later - 
 Remember the cases of soft drinks and or beer bottles that got returned - a 3 or 5 cent deposit each and some people i know paid or a road trip by picking up bottles along the road to pay for gas . 
 When milk came in bottles - then later paper cartons , oil came in cans and later in paper quart containers (just don't let them get wet in back of truck)
 Then PLASTIC was the new wave and now the wave is overwhelming the landfills and oceans . 
 Friend now uses shredded tires for back fill around foundations for drainage and also in septic system drain fields - costs less than aggregate and works just as well if not better as it's lighter to handle .  

Good morning Coke. That shredded tire idea sounds pretty good. A couple questions about it: Where does he get the shredded tires from? Does he take his own worn out tires in to somewhere and have them shredded, or just buys the shredded tires already shredded? And can they shred steel belted radials, too? I know one time years ago they were grinding up tires and adding them to asphalt to make the oval course for track fields. Catch was that they couldn't use radials. Now I don't think that they would be able to find any non-radial tires. Thanks Coke, Darrel
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 10:09am
IRR the belts these days are mostly made of kevlar or some other fabric not steel.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 10:29am
Are still Steel rings of cable in the Bead regions of tires. Problem with steel belted tires is the steel does not shred well and become needle like. We burned shredded tires at the Portage Des Sioux Power station as a few other Cyclone Boiler plants did, ended up with bad results where the steel grindings adhered and became porcupine-ish inside the boiler cyclone heads. BRUTAL. A few playgrounds are having issues with ground tire as is becoming cumulative illness considerations due to toxic materials found in the tire compounds. Many sites where ground tires were used are being changed back to rock or sand.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 10:49am
YEESH.. the environuts would have a fieldday if I tried using shreaded tires as Coke says...mind you the CITY has NO problem allowing hot, liquid TAR to meander through the wife's organic veggoie garden on it's way to a stream that flows into Lake Ontario....
Some guy up here used recycled tire to make 'donuts' to go around manhole covers, worked great to reduce the pavement-hole transitions when frost came out. Sems no one is using them....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 5:23pm
Just remember EVERYTHING flows downstream and the oceans are at the end.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 5:53pm
Back in the early 1970's I spent 6 months on the east coast. The crap from the garbage scows from New York city alone would cover hundreds of acres each day.   It is unbelievable, I hope it has changed.
Kurt WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurt WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 8:05pm
Talking about recycling, now in Wisconsin we can’t reuse poly feed bags no longer as they pose to much biosecurity risk. Also on the list is those 250 gal totes that baling preservatives and such comes in. As they are only labeled single use so at my local feed mill they would give them away to be used as a bulk feed tub, by cutting the top off. What a big waste in my opinion.
WD D17D 170 190xt 190xtIII 200 7020
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 11:57pm
the plastic bags here at our grocery stores are made from corn starch. they disinagrate when they gits wet.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 12:27am
It's from run off, like storm drains and stuff. City streets would make you sick. I get made when people step over trash on ground. But drive a Prius or put solar on there house.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 9:04am
But Mike, that's beneath them they drive a Prius. (pun intended) They have already done oh so much more.

Edited by chaskaduo - 23 Nov 2018 at 9:05am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 9:31am
I guess none of us has the capability to change this problem other than our own due diligence to take care of our own refuse.  And I'm always picking up crap that others don't want to deal with.  I hate driving down Eways and seeing all of the trash.  But here in MI we have a steady stream of visitors going north from Ohio so I guess that's the source of that problem!!Smile
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 8:18pm
Here is a view of HAITI and a flash flood - Notice the sea of trash floating down with the water - and then you wonder why things end up in the ocean 
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 9:11pm
Long time ago when I was still a kid I seen pictures of it on discovery channel and that is a huge driving force in my mind on picking up trash.

Iv also been thinking of going through my farm bureau and coming up with newspaper article with three different pictures, one with a baby, adult, and dog sitting in front of there plate with broken glass, ground up plastic bottle and chip bag on it with some slogan saying if you wouldnt feed it to them then please don't throw it in my fields with a smaller picture of field road front with trash in it.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 7:26am
Dakota Dave noted it right-  anyone who's been to India will realize that what happens with trash in the US and Canada... not just with respect to disposal, but with recycling... is NOTHING... not even a blink of the eye... compared to what you see on that side of the world... it's a ghastly mess, and NOBODY CARES.

Next time you stop at a gas station... look around the outside, see how the landscape is kept, and wether the trash receptacles are tended to... then go inside and meet the management.

Lots of people fume about pollution of the Mississippi River.  I live close enough still to consider myself an inhabitant, but I USED to own a home with a dock, right on the river.  People call it nasty... they have no idea how much cleaner it is than most lakes... and how much cleaner it is now than in 1975... but they still point to the trash found on islands and around unmaintainted frontages.  Some yell and scream about intentional pollution because of the very trash they see collected from those islands on TV (Chad Pregracke - Living Lands and Waters). 

The simple reality is, that little, if ANY of the trash that's extracted from our rivers, is intentionally PUT there.  Lighter stuff (plastic bags, etc) that people discard or toss out of car windows gets blown in there, but most of it finds it's way there as a result of major flooding, where buildings, cars, homes all become submerged.  Nobody 'throws' a refrigerator in the river... especially not with food still in it... it floats out of a house.  Sofa cushions from an RV... spare tires- perfectly good...

Dealing with trash starts a whole lot earlier than finding someone who throws a plastic cup in the ocean... it starts way, way uphill.

One thing I will note here, though... is that someone who says plastic floating in the ocean will be there for 10,000 years is lying.  Take an old milk-jug, put a quart of water in the bottom, and set it out in your driveway in August.  Go pick it up in January...

Mother Nature has an impressive way of turning 10,000 years into dust in just a few months. ;-)
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 10:46pm
I read that part of the problem with some plastics is that they do break down to smaller and smaller particles and are consumed by fish and everything else in the ocean, which makes the fish a bit toxic for humans to eat.  While waiting at the dentist's office last week I read an article that stated that something like 90% of the plastic and other crap in the ocean comes down 7 rivers, mostly in Asia, including India.
Talking about shredded tires, the contractor on the I 70 highway through Glenwood Canyon in central Colo used that material as an insulator/mulch on the edge of the highway. a year or so later, lightning struck and the tires started burning, took quite a while to get the fire out.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 9:52am
I was speaking to one of those 'enviro nuts' asked how the plastic gets in the fish flesh as plastic does NOT digest, the gut does not send non-digestable material into the blood stream to enter the meat so How? Would not answer beyond "just happens, ask anyone that can scan the meat" So I am suspecting that as a lie. Spoke to our Vet, she stated plastics do NOT enter the food stream, they have chemicals as BPA and other agents that do but as plastic disintegrates that also depletes so she too is skeptical of the comments.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic