This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

F2 Charging System ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: F2 Charging System ?
    Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 6:47pm
We survived the corn harvest season with NO mechanical break downs, although there was an issue with human error(mine) resulting in the seperator clutch slipping to the point of plugging the feeder beater. After harvest, the Battery gauge now starts at the "normal" 14 'ish volts and after the engine is running, climbs to 16 volts somewhat quickly but not instantly/ I took the alternator in to our local/trusted shop and it checked out OK. The tech thought the "sensor" wire has a bad connection somewhere between the alt and gauge, which I have verified after re-installation and multi/meter testing. Is there any ONE place you guys have seen an issue pertaining to this circuit? Thanks
Sponsored Links

DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 7:46pm
What does a real volt meter show at the battery?
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 9:54pm
I would replace the V regulator in side the alternator for no more than one cost.        MACk
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 9:24am
Mine did that when the battery was getting bad. New battery fixed it.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by DougS DougS wrote:

When the engine is running and the 2 pole connector hooked up to the alternator, 15.8 volts,when I disconnect the "plug", the volts come down to 13.3?
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 8:45am
What engine does the F2 have in it
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Originally posted by DougS DougS wrote:

When the engine is running and the 2 pole connector hooked up to the alternator, 15.8 volts,when I disconnect the "plug", the volts come down to 13.3?

13.3 would be about right if measured just after removing the charge source. What is the voltage at the sense input to the alternator or regulator? If this is 15.8 volts, you have a bad regulator. If the is zero or anything much below 15.8, you probably have an open wire or bad connector in the sense circuit.

Edited by DougS - 19 Nov 2018 at 1:27pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 5:30pm
Mikez, 433T with 2 batteries hooked in series?? 
To Doug, I am unsure how to test what you are asking, LOL!! I  am by no means a "tech" and am really proud of myself for not getting sparks flying doing testing on a running alternator LOL!! When I took the alt in to be checked out, they did put a " jumper" wire in the 2 pronged terminal ??
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 7:29pm
Someone tell me: Does the F2 alternator use an internal or an external regulator? FREED: Who tested the alternator? I’m on my cell phone right now and I can’t easily go back and read your original post. If you didn’t take the alternator (and regular, if it has an external regular) to an automotive electrical shop, do so. Don’t take it to an automotive parts store for testing.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Mikez, 433T with 2 batteries hooked in series?? 
To Doug, I am unsure how to test what you are asking, LOL!! I  am by no means a "tech" and am really proud of myself for not getting sparks flying doing testing on a running alternator LOL!! When I took the alt in to be checked out, they did put a " jumper" wire in the 2 pronged terminal ??

If your batteries are hooked in SERIES (ground hooks to negative terminal of 1st battery then positive terminal of 1st battery is hooked to negative of 2nd battery & positive of 2nd battery hooked to starter), then they'd be two 6 volt (3 cell caps on each battery) to equal 12 volt that's required.

Or... In most cases two 12 volts are hooked in PARALLEL (negative ground is hooked to both battery's negative terminals & starter's positive is hooked to positives of both batteries. This setup gives a strong 12 volt total.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 9:29pm
7060,they are 12 volt batteries hooked +to+ and -to- so parrallel,my mistake. 
Doug,it was bench tested at a local independent repair shop that specialize in electrical components, thanks. Btw,it was mentioned about battery issue,can a battery be tested? If so,I am very certain we don't have that equipment on hand,LOL!! We've owned the machine for 11 years and I don't recall changing them.
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 6:34am
Unhook the batteries and check the voltage of each battery independently. A good battery can read from 12.7 to 11.5. If you have a battery tester, test each battery with the load switch and see where your voltage is at after that. A weak battery would show up after the load test.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic