This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

You be the judge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You be the judge
    Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 9:31am
Ok guys. You noticed I been gone for long periods of time, well I got myself into something I wish I hadn't. And I'm at a spot where I need some advice. I know this is a question for an attorney, but I cannot find one to even look at it. so here goes.

Couple years ago I decided I wanted to get out of well drilling and just do the service side of the business. I was tired of running my tail off and since all my tractors were paid for I thought the time was ripe to just coast the rest of the way and then fully retire at 62. Neither one of my parents gots to retire and I didn't want the same thing happening to me so it's time. I'm 58 an it's time to take it down a gear.

So I put an ad in a national drillers magazine look for someone who want to have their own business and rent the equipment from me. It would cost them $1,500 a month and all the expenses like insurance, material, and upkeep was theirs. The equipment was all depreciated out so this was a way for the equipment to still make me money and not pay capital gains taxes. Several people called. But only a pool of one person to choose from. And he didn't want to rent. He wanted to buy, and me carry the contract. But I didn't want to sell cause uncle SAM wants that capital gains tax all up front. So we decides on a lease. That way I could shift the tax burden over 4 years. Bam. Done deal. $1,500 a month for 4 years and at the end of the lease he buys a well drilling machine and a tanker truck  for one dollars.  I get my $65,000 asking price plus I make 5.375% to carry the lease. In 4 years I'll be 62 and it'll be time to get rid of it anyway I figger. There's no way he can fail. That equipment grossed me $333,000 each and every year with the help of one man.

Fast Forward 12 months. He fails. He's only made 6 payments. His dad dies and they own farm ground and it's for sale. He'll catch up the payments. Ok. So we wait. now were at 18 months. He's made 7 payments. He decides he's done. He parks the trucks on somebody else s property and says come get em. So we do. And what we repossess is a well drilling machine and tanker truck with everything missing off the truck that's required to drill a water well. I couldn't go make a living with it if I wanted to. I'm talking about 400 feet of drilling rod, the spare tire, the safety shields are all missing, bits, hoses, and tools needed for the upkeep of the well machine. I'm not talking socket sets, I'm talking about stuff none of you would have any use for. And he forbids me to enter his property to claim it, even though I can clearly see some of the stuff from the street. The property is surrounded by cameras.  He's never there. If you live near thief river falls Minnesota. You probably know him. What do I do? I've even had professional thieves offer to get the stuff for me. I know I need to ask an attorney, but since it wasn't all listed per item on the lease, do I even have any claim to the stuff?

Edited by Les Royer - 11 Nov 2018 at 9:38am
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 10:22am
Man I feel for you.
First... get a lien on the farm !! He's bailed on the lease, so he OWES you . Put a lien on his house, car ,ANY property he has ! Sad thing is a bank will have already done this, so you'd be #2 to collect.

2nd, yeah, get a lawyer...let him interrupt the lease agreement...

3rd, post on CL 'wanted.. info about well drilling rig equipment ,last seen on Mr X( NAME HIM !( rig he was leasing...

4th call the cops, report all pipes, tools, whatever as STOLEN, put a replacemement purchase price  on the stuff.

5th if he's out of state, it's probably a Federal case...

6th at least you got SOME of the materials back

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 12:01pm
Do you have pictures of all the equipment before you lease it to him?
Was the lease draw up by a lawyer?
File a police report.
File a lien.
Post wanted adds with pictures, for the missing equipment. $500 for the return of it.
Go take pictures of the equipment that he still has. Do it from the road, setting in your truck. Make sure the pictures shows you are not on his land.
The bad news is, you are going to lose 1/2 the money you was counting on.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 1:34pm
Oh man Les. Truthfully, I think that you are in a "no win situation". Hate to sound all doom and gloom, but it seems that the law gives the criminals more rights than the good guys. The country needs a little more frontier justice, Matt Dillon style. Good luck to you, pal. Darrel
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 2:16pm
At least you got the trucks back and he did pay $10000 which is why he is keeping the stuff probably. I would follow everyone's advice already posted but prepare myself that nothing will probably come from it and you will have to replace the equipment. I am in a similar situation but there are no physical assets to claim just sitting waiting on a check that will never arrive but gets promised monthly. I just wish people would do what they say and stand up and do the right thing when things don't work out.
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 2:18pm
Plus after the Joe story you don't deserve to have this happen to you
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 5:48pm
I would call that a renigging on the contract and theft, by intentional deceit and swindle... Report it to the sheriffs office, have all your papers and pictures of what you sold the rotten crook. And make sure you only got back your trucks and you want it all and he has it... even if the sheriffs dept has to impound it, then the scum can't sell the drill or rods, etc. while your taking the slow expensive route.
   What a dam rotten deal this turned out to be.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 7:00pm
Hie thee to the state's attorney's office, and see what they can do...

If you can get a judgement against him, the sheriff can attach the real estate, possibly liberate the drill rod, etc, to satisfy the judgement, cameras or not...
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 7:14pm
I wish you good luck, I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but the advice already given seems practical.  Somehow, the guy being from Thief River Falls seems fitting!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 10:41pm
Oh my Les,,,,,,,  The guys above have given you all the advice you need.  I know you've posted pics on here from when you were working, so you have those to show what was on the trucks.
#1 File a police report
#2 Find an attorney
#3 Don't threaten him just yet.  You CAN hint at how many GOOD buddies you have on this certain forum and cameras or not, he's gonna lose EVERYTHING he's got, including the cameras and the dogs...

I feel for ya buddy, but you gotta see an attorney.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 5:34am
 Les,,,don't wait no more,,,MAKE the call to the Sheriff's dept NOW,,!!!
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 11:44am
You might want to discuss with a Tax Accountant.  If you're property is determined a total loss (drill rig without the drilling equipment is no longer a drill rig), that Fair Market Value is no longer as big of an asset.  Maybe you can make a tax deduction that would net some benefit?  Just a thought.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 12:55pm
Bad deal for sure ! Pictures and contracts would secure everything, but its done now
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 2:57pm
Prayers to you Les and hope you gets a good lawyer or tax man.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 10:15pm
lots of good info above Les! but DO contact an attorney, there are ones that if you don't win the case, you don't hafta pay them!
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 6:28am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

lots of good info above Les! but DO contact an attorney, there are ones that if you don't win the case, you don't hafta pay them!

An attorney that you don't have to pay......? Bet you believe in Santa Claus and the Easter bunny too. Darrel
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 6:58am
naw on the Easter bunny....but don't you go picking on Santa! i'm just saying that about the lawyers...cuz that is what they is saying on the TV ads!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 9:06am
You thinks theres truth in advertizen???
about as much truth as a politishun has while campaigning...
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by JC(WI) JC(WI) wrote:

You thinks theres truth in advertizen???
about as much truth as a Dem politishun has while campaigning...

Fixed it fer ya, JC...Wink
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 6:57pm
So... I'm not a lawyer, but I've been through stuff like this before... so here's what I suggest:

Yes, get an attorney, file a suit, and put a lein on the property, with itemized list of all that is to be returned.

The property will NOT be able to be sold until your case has been settled, and while you may not get full value for whatever's left, it will mean that you're listed in the creditors that the liquidated assets are distributed amongst.

IF you can prove that the equipment you see on the property is part of that which you have inventoried, then the lawyer in charge of his defense will opt to return them to you, rather than attempt to pay the value.  It is much wiser fiscally, to do so... or better put, it's downright foolish.  How so?

Let's say you have a materials claim for drill rod and associated equipment who's value is say... $30,000.  The equipment is held 'hostage' on his property... and constitutes the full value of your lein against his bankruptcy.

Let's say he's got ten creditors, with a total responsibility of oh... $600,000.

So let's say they decide that everything on property gets liquidated as auction or scrap, and the property that YOU'VE claimed, sells for $1100 (scrap value).  They divvy up that $1100 between ten creditors, which comes to $110 each.

Your claim of $30,000 is still short by $29890... and the other creditors... basically hasn't made a dent.  The result, is that the bankruptcy executor liquidated that $30,000 for 3.6% of it's actual market value... and after doing so, reduced the bankruptcy liability by essentially NOTHING.

Instead, a proper way, is to gather up all that stuff, hand it back to you, and after determining what value was decreased through loss or damage (let's say it's only worth $25000), you accept it back with a letter identifying the losses at $15,000 (material plus your time, attorney, and recovery costs), you have at least SOME of it back, and the remainder gets filed on your taxes as capital asset losses.

Either way, your immediate action is imperative-  do it now.  Get lawyer, have them call Sheriff, with paperwork.  Under that circumstance, the defendant's bankruptcy lawyer will likely meet you and the constable, with warrant to recover, and it'll be handled under more reasonable terms.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

.....and they settle for a lot less to "win" the case and then take their share.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 7:16am
The economics of settle vs. fight a case is frequently misunderstood.

Let's say you've been slighted by $6500 by someone.

You take them to court.  It takes the attorney 56 hours of research, filings, legal service (sending Sheriff or service agent with papers to the defendant), then you take three days off work to appear in court for the hearing, then wait three weeks to a year, then lawyer takes three days for jury selection... you've already exceeded $10,000. 

Let's say that at this point, you get lucky and walk into the courtroom, place your opening arguments, and win RIGHT THERE. (does NOT happen).  You've already lost.

I took a call yesterday from a guy who had a citation... it was close enough to fight and win, however, the fine was $82.00.  The cost for him to take ONE DAY off work to appear in court... exceeded that by 7x...

The moral here, is that when you fight, it doesn't matter wether you come out standing, or lying on the ground-  you STILL wind up with cuts and bruises.

In the realm of a legal battle, Les's circumstances and the ensuing fight would very-well yield him a favorable court ruling, which is great, right?

The first law of trial, is the Law of Blood and Turnips:
--The guy has his stuff, and the stuff is worth money.
--The guy is in bankruptcy:  He has overextended himself, and as a result, cannot pay his creditors.

--Having a favorable judgement against a turnip, will NOT get you blood.

The lawyer's job is to know how to fight on your behalf to LIMIT DAMAGE.  That's what good lawyers do.  If you consult a lawyer, and do NOT wind up with your damage limited, it's because of one of two reasons:

1) You consulted with the wrong lawyer
2) You did not follow the lawyer's advice.

If Les has appropriate documentation of ownership of all the missing materials, he should have the lawyer file for recovery of material assets, and call in proper authorities to enter the property and recover the assets.  If it was a bank loan, they'd send in a licensed reposessor... in this case, it's a lease, which is pretty straightforward, as long as it's appropriately inventoried and identified.  That's important, because the most expedient path to resolution, will yield the greatest result and the most minimal losses for all sides.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 7:01pm
I try to stay away from the whole legal system, period.  Monday, I made an appointment with one of my lawn care service clients, he had a complaint.  I had agreed to aerate a 6M square foot lawn, for $210($35/MSF).  He said that wasn't what I quoted him, and said I had missed some areas.  Went out to look, and sure enough, there was an area, containing a trampoline, and swing set, which was not mowed, when I aerated, 2 weeks ago.  I said, lets see what we can settle amongst ourselves.  Ended up cutting $ 35 off the bill, and I even threw in a free reseed, in the spring.  Point is, sometimes you kinda have to swallow your pride, and come up with a solution, between yourselves...

Gotta nother one, which also happens, sometimes:  Customer ended up owing me $ 400, over the winter, for grass cutting, tried and tried to get him to pay. Let the grass get tall, in the spring, and he calls me, are you gonna come out and cut my lawn?  I say, OK, pay the tab from last year, and I will start a new tab, have the check ready, and I'll knock on the door, when I come out to mow.  Go there, start up mower, make 2 rounds around the edges, plus start a diagonal stripe, down the middle of the lawn, turn around, and return to the front door, ring the bell, p/u check. Then I High-tail it, with the mower, back to the trailer, hop in the truck, and deposit check.  Coupla days go by, and he is concerned, cals me up, and asks, did you have problems with your mower?  Not a problem in da world, saz I!  It was then, it dawned on him, that I don't like getting stiffed.  Point to this one is tricks or conning someone who owes you, or has abused you are fair game.  Cops get to lie to perps, why can't we?Wink

George Burns

“Sincerity - if you can fake that, you've got it made.”

― George Burns

Edited by DiyDave - 14 Nov 2018 at 7:03pm
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 8:11pm
Laws on their side....

Did you guys know that lawyers CANNOT hold public office??  It's ILLEGAL...(psst.. history lesson)
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic