This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Algae on Pond

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Algae on Pond
    Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 10:12am
I got another outbreak of that funky floating stuff on the pond.  Hit it with some copper sulfate and a dose of diuron.  It ain't under control yet.  Also water is funky and not clear as before the outbreak.  I do aeriate.

Any thoughts on first id.  Guess i am gonna dissolve some more copper sulfate and put in today.

When I put in the copper sulfate the big ole cats won't come up to eat for a few days.

Save my day please.
Sponsored Links

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 10:50am
If it's the bright green stuff that is real small with three leaves, then you need Diquat.  You should also get a sulfactant to make it float.  I have read where you can use vegetable oil for this as well.  I try to spray it on the weed and along the shore line where any may be laying.  It'll kill the weeds or grass along the shore also so spray accordingly.  The stuff I got I calculated 1 pint to 10 gallons of water.  I always have some left over so I just keep spraying it until it's gone.  I put my sprayer in my little yard wagon, hook it up to my ZT and just drive around the pond and spray as I go.

My thought is that the geese, herons, ducks and what ever other critters visit, bring it from a marsh down behind my property.  Once it gets started it seems to grow very fast and spread quickly.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 10:54am
I have a few carp in the pond to keep it clean!
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 12:30pm
Place a bale of barley where water enters pond.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 12:37pm
i use aqua shade and i also have several grass carp in the water to help control it

the aqua shade has some chemicals in it to help kill it or control it dont know which it is now,,,but i put it in, in the spring and nice blue clear water all summer,,,course the grass carp eat all the other stuff,,i think the aqua shade acts like a pair of sun glasses for the water and filters out the UV light that makes the green muc grow,,,it turn the water about the same color as the stuff you are using but it stays that color

i did the chemical copper sulfate thing for a couple summers ,,but it seemed like when i thought i would have it whipped it would always come back,,,,

in the spring the rain fill up my pond and runs it over,,so i have to use the aqua shade about every spring,,,i have about 3.5 acres of water and i only put in about 1 gal,,,it calls for more but that seems to work along with the fish eating that crap ,,,,my pond is clear and clean right now,,,and will stay that way until it over flows and washes in new water 

just what has worked for me

ocharry
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 1:23pm
I use the aqua shade also but I have only treated once this year due to the amount of rain and runoff we have had. I usually treat three times a year
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 3:49pm
I think John is talking bout duck weed.  It is not that.

This stuff is green clumpy stuff that floats.  I have never seen the carp eat it.

I have aqua shade in the pond.  It does not seem to help with the floating green crap.
CmdrDick View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CmdrDick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 5:47pm
I believe that the stuff he is describing is coming up from the bottom. Globs of crud will float up from the bottom of ponds as the biological system in the pond breaks them down and their specific gravity changes causing the crud to float. Using copper will kill most everything live in the pond, but that is the opposite of what is needed. That just encourages a worse problem next year. What is better, is to encourage the bio system with good bacteria and enzymes. Air works wonders once the biological system is alive. This produces a pond that is natural, clear and healthy for it's inhabitants.
One of the biggest problems for ponds is runoff of sweet water from fertilizing or animal waste. If there is flow thru the pond, check the supply. If not take several samples of water using a Nitrate kit. High nitrates (food) = algea.

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 7:27pm
many power plants with ash ponds have the green crud from the bottom that CmDR DICK describes... we always used the barley straw bales spread around the pond to help... yea, that works.. we had some PVC pipe floats also and had several anchored " off shore" ........ when real bad we also used the copper sulfate as needed.... but as mentioned, I don't think the critters like that.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 7:35pm

Will barley get rid of my algae problem?

The effectiveness of barley straw will depend on the amount of algae you have, the type of algae, and how quickly you want it gone! As with many natural methods of control, the turnaround to see results is often much slower in comparison to mechanical and chemical treatments. If you have a major algae bloom in your pond, and your fish are suffering, opting for a mechanical treatment (i.e., UV Clarifier) to resolve the problem and then using barley as a preventive method is usually the best way forward.

In-fact, in most cases of algae growth, we would first recommend mechanical removal and a pond clean-up before adding barley to the system. Having large amounts of algae usually indicates excess nutrients, excess waste, or low-aerated conditions. Adding more organic material to the pond, such as barley, would only make the problem worse as it takes so long to become effective. As well as this, as barley straw is reliant on the beneficial bacteria in your pond to break it down, adding it to low oxygen and high waste systems will actually reduces its effectiveness, as bacteria are likely already struggling with the low oxygen content and large bio-load present.

Barley straw works best in high-oxygen, well-aerated, and algae-free ponds as it’s free to decompose quickly and more efficiently. For this reason, we always recommend barley as a preventive measure, and not to stop a huge algae bloom already in place. The best way to use barley would be to first eliminate any major algae blooms, and then supplement with straw to prevent blooms coming back the following season.

Edited by steve(ill) - 17 Sep 2018 at 7:36pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 1:13pm
been doing some research.Confused
I think CmdrDuck is in agreement with my ideas from a couple of extension office sites.

It is hotter than whatever here for this time of year. I am gonna increase the aeration one more hour per day, put some more dye in there, get another grass carp in the spring, and go from there.

Thanks all

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 10:52pm
We had a big old long cable off a big old dragline. Stretched it across the dam, hooked a tractor to each end of the cable. And started to pull real slow. Drug a lot of it out of the shallow end, along with part of an old wooden boat.   
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 11:05pm
What diameter of cable?  I would need to use about 200'. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic