This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does anybpdy have,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does anybpdy have,,,,
    Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 11:04pm
  a OTC 4572 large valve spring compresser,,(OTTAWA TOOL CO.),??  That is what is required to remove and re-install the valve springs on a Nissan KA24DE cylinder head. I have two different valve spring compressers but neither one has the attachment needed to reach the valves and keepers that are recessed down in the casting. I fashioned a "back yard special" ( I know ole Shameless will be so proud)  and got them off with great difficulty but almost lost one of the keepers that went flyin by my head and just happened to land on a piece of cardboard 10 feet away and just luck I heard it land,,,whew,,, Any of you mechanics got one of these,,??

Edited by desertjoe - 16 Sep 2018 at 11:18pm
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 11:23pm
will a vise grip help ya?
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 5:24am
 Nope,,Shameless,,,,,the top of the valves are recessed down into the casting bout 1",,, I'm gonna try to NR a piece of 1" round stock on my lathe and see bout makin it screw onto my big spring compresser,,,,Dang,,I wished ole Thad had of bought thet mill a couple of weeks ago,,,I could of had him mill it out for me,,,,,,,Wink
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 5:35am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Nope,,Shameless,,,,,the top of the valves are recessed down into the casting bout 1",,, I'm gonna try to NR a piece of 1" round stock on my lathe and see bout makin it screw onto my big spring compresser,,,,Dang,,I wished ole Thad had of bought thet mill a couple of weeks ago,,,I could of had him mill it out for me,,,,,,,Wink

Nope ole Thad just gonna have to keep using that 4.5” Harborfreight angle grinder for all his mill work. What did you get your self into, a Niceone hemi?
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 7:41am
Back before I had enough cash to purchase a gen you ine store bought valve compressor I cut about 3" from a pipe, 1" I think?  I cut a couple notches in the side so I had access to the keepers. Then I welded a 3/8 bolt head down on a pipe cap and screwed it on the pipe. chucked it up in the drill press and  used the quill feed to lower the retainers. Later I bought a K-D but that shop built rig is still my go-to unit for installation works much easier than any other tool I have been around. That being said its lots easier to remove the keepers with a 3/4 (or so)  deep well socket and a hammer. Just hold down on the socket so it traps the keepers and give the socket a good rap. They even make a real store bought tool for this with magnets to retain the keepers.  Even with a real compressor things go much smoother if you knock the retainers first to  unstick things.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 8:43am
Nope but Amazon has it for $54 you could have it in 2 days. I looked it up it dosent look like any of my compressors.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 9:20am
 Hey Butch,,,yeah,,I seen some youtube videos of one dude using two vice grips 180 degrees from each other on a deep socket and pushing down on the retainers  til the keepers came loose,,,! Very ingenius if I say so,,,,Clap
  Hey DakotaDave ,,,thanks for the info,,I already have a big Craftsman spring compresser and a smaller version  as well and didn't want to have to buy yet another $50 tool,,,, What I'm wantin to do is make that little threaded on one end "barrel" piece with the open sides that will adapt to the tools I already have. I guess the Ottowa Tool Co has gone out of business as I was hoping to buy that piece and then make an adapter to my tool but I can't find any info on them on the net,,,, Thanks for your input, Guy.Clap
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 1:57pm
OTC (originally Owatonna Tool Company) is still in business. It was bought by SPX, then a few years later by Bosch. It is now part of Bosch Automotive Service Solutions. They still make "specialty" tools and shop equipment. The 4572 large valve spring compressor is still in their catalog. Search OTC Tools and you will find them.

https://www.otctools.com/products/large-valve-spring-compressor
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 10:20pm
shucks....he's to "cheap" to buy the right thing he needs! oh....did I stutter....i'm sorry....I said that "Nasty" word.....CHEAP! (poke,poke)
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 10:16am
Ha ha ha  desertjoe used the NR comment. I haven't heard that in 30yrs since my pop passed. He used to smoke regular Pall Mall's and say 30 million ******'s can't be wrong. He died of pancreatic cancer at 56. I sure do miss him still. Mom's 84 and still with me, literally. Tough old gal, smart as a whip too.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 9:59pm
 OK,,,,,ok,,,,I NOW have my own OTC 4572,,,,heh, heh, heh, ,,,,,,,,,,(I just know ole Shameless is gonna be SOooooo proud of me and my "resourcefullness" ) It just took a couple of ideas and a couple of hours of hard labor on my trusty lathe,,,,DANG,,,But I love thet machine,,,Clap I did take ole Thad's suggestion and made good use of two of my 5 grinders and fashioned the part I needed for my Craftsman spring Compresser. I removed the pusher ears off it and built this little number in it's place,,, 
Chit,,I removed all 16 valves off the cylinder head with this in about a pair of minutes,,,,,,,,,
  what can I say,,,,,,,,,I'm sorta cheap,,,,LOL

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 12:42am
looks like something a feller could use to.....uh....nevermind….
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 3:08am
Now that's frugal. 50 bucks saved and extra time to work on something else.

B\L hint hint!
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 3:55pm
10 years from now he'll fergits what the thing is for!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 4:19pm
In 10 years, we'll ALL fergit what it's for!
Joe, I got an idea about a tool that I need you to NR for me.....I'll tell ya about it some time.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 9:29pm
 Hey Chask,,,,,,ole Ted,,,he,,,he,,,,he is doin it too,,,,,,LOLLOL
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

UMMmmmm,,,,ummmmmm ,,that may be the reason why I build my own stuff and,,,and,,,keep what few dollars I got ,,,buried,,,,,like somebody I know,,,,LOL
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

UMMmmmm,,,,ummmmmm ,,that may be the reason why I build my own stuff and,,,and,,,keep what few dollars I got ,,,buried,,,,,like somebody I know,,,,LOL

But what about Confused forgetting where you buried Ouch the lute?Cry
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 8:35am
 RAY,,,,Ray,,,what??,,,you been lookin in on me with Google Earth ain't you,,??? I DID happen to forget one of the Hidey Holes,,,,but,,,,but,,,I only had to did 5 exploratory holes before I fount it,,,,,WinkWink
 Chit,,,I'm bettin ole Shameless has got a few of his "forgotton Moments" ,,,him havin so many of them hidey holes,,,,,,,
 With this super secret software I pilaged off the internet,,,I can see several fresh diggins all over that south part behind the last barn,,,,,SOOoooooo,,,I'm thinkin ole Shameless is sufferin from thet dreaded "forgettin Disease",,,,,,,LOL
(at least he's got a good backhoe to save his back)LOL
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 11:45am
I sure hope you are whispering so O'l Shameless don't hear us talking UnhappyDisapproveabout his lute Angry he may aim that darn old machine at me. 
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 9:10pm
  Thas what I was thinkin,,Ray,,,him bein so quiet these last few days,,,think I better call him and pee on his leg a little,,,,,,,I AIN'T forgettin he hit me SOOoooo bad thet one year,,,,I still get shivers thinkin on it,,,,,,LOL
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 5:12am
This was one of my biggest complaints when decided to leave mechanic the changing tools. Customers complained of all THEIR money being spent to supply us tools, but they could not or would not understand that the specializing of tooling to fit single makes or even single models was expensive to expect a mechanic to do over and over and over and not get some return on his investment.

In the early years basic tools were fine, a few odd Moon or double offset or even double angle open end wrenches a impact and sockets(std. and metric) then the grief of the late 80's with technology changes the electronics devices that were only good for a few years, heavy tools as pin pushers or ball joint replacement presses to odd valve spring compressors. The came TORX, Tri-Wing screws, tamper resistant Torx, it just expands as time goes by. I know some open shop men that have $75-90,000 in tooling some of which is VERY obsolete, I just sold a bunch of old Cummins and Detroit Diesel tooling I had not used in decades but spent thousands to acquire.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 5:24am
 Yeah, DMiller,,,I hear you on that,,,, I will not work on the newer vehicles simply cause I ain't gonna buy the speciality tools req'd to get the job done,,,includin the really high priced OBD code readers. I turn away jobs because of this and sometimes customers get pee'd when I tell em and they say. " Well, go ahead and buy one", yeah right,,and then they complain bout me charging em $60/hr,,,!!  I tell em,,, " Take it to a dealer that DOES have the right computer that cost $15,000 and,,,,and,,,they are also going to charge you $123/ hour,,,,!!! Tools got to get paid for,,,,,,and the mechanic shouldn't have to foot the whole bill.Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic