This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Latex vs oil base

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neal (scMN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Latex vs oil base
    Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 6:58pm
I need to paint the exterior of a garage and I will be painting it white again. I have no idea what is on there now as I didn't paint before.  Is there enough difference between oil base paint and latex paint to mess with oil base?
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 7:14pm
What does water do?  Rots wood, and rusts metal...Wink
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 7:33pm
Latex outside has low life expectancy, oil base will fare better but depends what is already on there. Take a sample flake to a decent paint supply store as Sherwin Williams, I believe they can ID what you have with a spectrometer.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 7:35pm
Oil base outside, latex inside on a new surface. If you got latex on there, might as well stay with it. I hate painting but used to sell it.
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 11:54pm
I had a hired guy paint a 22 x 22 garage 9 years ago with Conoco 5000 flat latex from Menards with a paint brush. Did a nice job and only put 6 hours on his time sheet. Had some peeling so scrapped and sprayed Conoco 6000 satin with one of those $169 on sale airless sprayers from HF and again all is well.
I only posted this hoping Menards, HF and Conoco all send coupons to this email address.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 6:01am
As DM say ,take a sample and find out what it is as you can't put one on the other and I forget which way is bad(latex on oil ??).
2nd thing is to powerwash the whole garage then wait 3 days for ALL the water to dry off. PW will also lift off any flakey paint. Outdoor rated Latex will last for years,especially white(doesn't soak up the sun's heat).
Take off any light fixtures ,signs, etc. tapeup/cover windows. The more, better 'prep' you do the easier,faster ,better paint job you'll get.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 7:00am
oil on oil
latex on latex
latex on oil
never oil on latex
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic