This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tractor stories

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tractor stories
    Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 9:49am
When we moldboard plowed everything my dad plowed with a 560 gas and John Deere 3 bottom trailer plow. I plowed with the 185 and semi mounted 4 bottom Allis plow. Every third round my dad would have to let me go by as the 185 would out plow the 560! My dad did not like this and would go strike out another land. Finally I said to him put the 170 on that plow it is geared similar to the 185 then we can plow together. So the next morning I helped him hitch the 170 up and we went to plowing. I never passed him and my dad had a big smile on his face!

Edited by klinemar - 04 Sep 2018 at 9:50am
Sponsored Links

im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 3:19pm
Grandpa was a dealer used to tell of a chopper demo with the Deere dealer in town.  He was good friends with a farmer that had a late WD and  grandpa brought the Allis chopper.  They welded up a push bumper on the rear of the chopper and on the front of the studie truck.  The Deere dealer brought a D and a chopper.  Story doesn't have many more details than that.
They went to the field and started chopping.  Both were pretty well matched to start with.  Both parties stopped and made adjustments.  After that it was all Allis.  After the stop they started pushing the chopper with the truck and slipped the WD into neutral to put all the hp into the chopper.  The Deere dealer went for about a half hour making adjustments to catch up.  He never did and just went home.  Didn't even stop and talk.  Just left the field!!!!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 6:35pm
well I have one I could tell on myself, but its still, 50 plus years later pretty embarrassing
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
caledonian View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caledonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 7:44pm
Pulled a school bus out of a snow drift once after a neighbor told me that little D 17 Allis couldn't do that. Neighbor didn't say a damn thing after it did.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 11:12pm
Ive got horror stories to tell about n ferds I had to run in the early 1960's for our neighbor. Some day if I am able to get to one of the gathering of the orange, I'll share them with you guys. You guys gotta buy the beer cause it'll take a long time. By the way I don't drink american beer.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 7:31am
Let's try and keep this post going with tractor stories any make ,model, good or bad! I remember as a kid spending time at the local IH dealership Carr Equipment { For the best deal by far see Johnny Carr} as my dad's 560 Diesel was there a lot getting repaired! We only went to Kennedy Equipment for Allis Chalmers to get a few parts like points ,plugs and License Plates because they rented part of the dealership to the Secretary of State and every year we had to get new plates!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 8:59am
Any Brand?...  I bought a jd for 100 bucks that was stuck, spent a year soaking it and then one dayI finally pulled the head and knocked it loose and ground the valves and put it back together again. Did the usuals and cleaning of carband mag etc. and finally got it running. It was suppose to be a duel fuel tractor and we were into spring planting and this little brass tag B got put on the old grain drill and planted 60 acres of oats the first year... banging along mostly in high gear. (only had 4 forward). One morning I pulled up to the gas barrels to put gas in and it was warmed up so I filled the tank about 2/3 full and topped it out with diesel... Well it got a little fussy and would pop and bang and dad asked what I had done and I told him and he said get a gunny sack and put over the radiator.. That helped to run it hotter but I never attempted putting diesel fuel in again.
  That little B was fun, used it to pull tandum rakes and pull wagons and put on the elevator and choring around the place, going fencing.
One day I came in from the field from baling straw and seen brother-in-law and sis had came up  for a visit and I came banging in with that old tractor and came to a stop by the house step and shut it off. B-i-L started in raging on the old tractor, saying 'that tractor is obsolete, its unprofitable to use it, why do you even bother with it , be much more productive to have be using a tractor that has hydraulics and a starter and lights and live...' while he was blathering away, and I already tired of it, and still sitting on the seat yet, had rolled the flywheel over with my foot and got it up to compression, turned to him and said, "Gotta go" and gave that flywheel a kick and that old popper banged to life and I engaged the clutch and took off for the barn and left him slack jawed standing there.  I had planned to stop and get a drink of water at the house and gab for a few minutes but all a sudden the barn water would taste just as good. and had evening chores to do too. Still remember that dumb-founded look on his face.LOL 
  Another time, it was winter and I had forgot to pull the old feed wagon away from the barn the night before and the milk truck came in and it was -47 degrees over night...He said his truck had been hard to start that morning and it was plugged in... Said he would come back later in the day. I said wait a few minutes, I knew the D17 would probably need to be plugged in, the 170 with the live hydraulic pump would not go, the WD45 had not been started for awhile, and an old WC that we used in the woods with steel wheel was sitting a distance away... and the old B was sitting in a snow bank alongside the driveway. I stepped of the snow bank and took ahold of the shifter and took both hands to slide it into nuetral, put the choke on and started pulling on the flywheel... I had my doubts cuzz it was mighty stiff,... one cyl over, two cylinders over, 3 cylinder over -BANG-BANG------BANG BANG and away she went. Stood there for a minute and got the choke half off and crawled on, grabbed hold of the gear shift and took two hands to slide it into gear and that old girl came up and out of the snow bank, ran it down to the barn and hooked onto the wagon and pulled it out of there. Milk truck driver backed in and had already stuffed the hose through the port and grabbed his dipper and headed into the milk house. I came in and he said, "If I hadn't seen that, I would never believe it... and I seen it and still don't believe it."
 Yea, for a tractor that was rated 9 HP on the drawbar and I think 12 on the belt, it did a lot of work with its 3400 pounds of weight. Sure was a fun tractor.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 11:29am
Dang JC, you speaking so highly of a JD!!Wink

Well, I know a lot of you guys will bash the make and model, but my Dad had a Deere 720 diesel, and that thing would PULL.  Grandpa was driving, pulling a square baler, hay wagon hooked to the baler, Dad stacking hay on the wagon.  Heading down a pretty steep hill, a bolt sheared on the baler.  Grandpa backed the rig up a little to give dad room to work on and clean out the baler, and grandpa stood on the brakes to hold it while dad fixed the shear bolt.  Dad got it going, grandpa started the PTO, dad hopped back on the wagon.  Grandpa let off the brakes and it started rolling, faster, faster, faster.....Grandpa is wide eyed, Dad screaming at the top of his lungs, LET OUT THE CLUTCH!!!  Aha, Grandpa let out the clutch, ....and....wouldn't ya know....it was still in REVERSE!  Poom! Poom! Poom! it chugged, about a 1/4 turn of the tire per pop it seemed, throwing huge chunks of sod up, couldn't kill it though.  Of course dad was long gone off the front of the wagon, but the funny thing, the entire stack of hay slid all the way to the front of the wagon but not off and they didn't lose any bales!

Same tractor, beer warehouse burned in town, beer truck parked inside.  The tires burned off, and of course it wouldn't start either with electrical stuff all ruined under the hood.  Dad was going by to plow snow for a friend, owner flagged him down to ask if he thought he could pull the truck out.  Well.....maybe....POOM POOM POOM! started rolling that truck out.  Well, where do you want it dad asked, guy says well, you're hooked to it and pulling, might as well take it to the barn, which was about 4 blocks away....of they went.

We don't have it anymore, but it is still nearby in need of some TLC.  I wish I had the time, money, and talent to buy it back and resurrect it, but that's not likely on all 3 counts.  That guy used to pull it at the fair, always won his weight class, and took somewhere between 1st and 3rd in the weight class above.  Maybe it was just a special one, but that thing would PULL!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 12:06pm
Old fellow by the name of Morris Blomgren had a 70 diesel and the coils were shot on the pony so he would line it up with his WD45Diesel and run a belt across to start it. he would pull a 4 bottom plow with it and he claimed he could plow all day with it using 3 quarts an hour... He died and it was sold in 2010... and this year I seen it again get sold, and the auction ad said coils were no good They pumped up the tire and gave it a pull and out to the trailer it went...  Sometimes them old things live on even after your gone.  LOL
  T-boner, just take the first step and get her acquired and then fix her up enough to use a little bit and then worry about the restoration later. Wink
  Dam, yea, I was a little partial with that one.   I better go pull my old Brass tag out of the weeds and see if I can salvage that thing again. Miss it, was just a blast to run for as little as it was, ...but then I was much much younger too... and the nephews were around too. ....  We had a 140 bale load that needed to get unloaded in a barn down the road, so we hooked the old popper on and away we went, nephew driving and I on the hitch and we came to the hill and she was bangin and a barkin away and scratching gravel but we were moving, I stepped off the draw bar and the tractor nearly stopped going up that hill, and then put the 180# back on the drawbar and went back to moving that 10,000+ pound load... with that 3400 pound tractor.
   There was a 630 on a 9 wheel rake and it was used for the first 10 acres, but there was another 90 acres yet to rake and I put the D17 on the rake instead ... grandson to the owner of the 630 came along and wanted to rake... first time for him to drive a 'decent' tractor. When he was done, he wanted a D17. LOL
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by JC(WI) JC(WI) wrote:

Old fellow by the name of Morris Blomgren had a 70 diesel and the coils were shot on the pony so he would line it up with his WD45Diesel and run a belt across to start it. he would pull a 4 bottom plow with it and he claimed he could plow all day with it using 3 quarts an hour... He died and it was sold in 2010... and this year I seen it again get sold, and the auction ad said coils were no good They pumped up the tire and gave it a pull and out to the trailer it went...  Sometimes them old things live on even after your gone.  LOL
  T-boner, just take the first step and get her acquired and then fix her up enough to use a little bit and then worry about the restoration later. Wink
  Dam, yea, I was a little partial with that one.   I better go pull my old Brass tag out of the weeds and see if I can salvage that thing again. Miss it, was just a blast to run for as little as it was, ...but then I was much much younger too... and the nephews were around too. ....  We had a 140 bale load that needed to get unloaded in a barn down the road, so we hooked the old popper on and away we went, nephew driving and I on the hitch and we came to the hill and she was bangin and a barkin away and scratching gravel but we were moving, I stepped off the draw bar and the tractor nearly stopped going up that hill, and then put the 180# back on the drawbar and went back to moving that 10,000+ pound load... with that 3400 pound tractor.
   There was a 630 on a 9 wheel rake and it was used for the first 10 acres, but there was another 90 acres yet to rake and I put the D17 on the rake instead ... grandson to the owner of the 630 came along and wanted to rake... first time for him to drive a 'decent' tractor. When he was done, he wanted a D17. LOL
Errrr....emmmm.....well, to acquire her now would require money.  Not sure I can afford to pay attention at the moment, so...

I see the owner every now and again.  He says the pony is "shot", not sure what that means.  He also says if he ever gets it going he will give me a call.  That would be awesome, as these are stories that I've been told, not experienced, the tractor was gone before my memories begin.  It is still sentimental to me, to remember all the twinkles in Dad's eyes telling me of the tractor.  My sister has some faint memories of it, but she's older!
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 8:25pm
Talking about Pony Motors ,I was at the IH Dealer not Johnny Carr as he was gone by this time and I was standing in line at the parts counter when the salesman walked up and say "are you going to be needing any equipment this spring Mark ? I said yes I would like a new tractor but it must have a Pony Motor like our 560 diesel. The Salesman said well IH never made a tractor with a Pony Motor! I said we had one! He said what model? I said a 560 Diesel with a D17 Allis Chalmers and a log chain!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 6:49am
^^^
LOLLOLLOL
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 7:51am
     Dad had a wd-45 with a 3 x 16 snap coupler plow back in the mid 1960's.  His brother lived on an adjacent farm and used an M Farmall. Dad's nephew would frequently brag about their M and how much power it had. One spring the nephew came up with the M and 3 x 16 pull type plow to show dad how  it plowed. They were in a field that was 1/4 mile long. Dad would lap the M about every 3 rounds. Didn't hear so much about the M after that.
     Dad also had a welding repair / fab shop on the farm. One day a neighbor that used mostly IH equipment came with an urgent repair and dad told him he couldn't get to it for a few more days. The neighbor  inquired why and dad said he was busy shortening  a lot of stretched AC drawbars.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 10:21am
Hank Love had a series IV D17 and a 4-16 plow and would do some custom work with it... A fellow asked him to help plow up the gold dust twins farm and hank said he would... The fellow had a brand new IH hydro 100 and was out there plowing with a 5-16 plow and laughed at hank and said this ground plows hard, think your going to pull that plow. Old Hank said that ground was no different than his,  and they went to work. Hydro in front and Hank following... got to the end of the field and hank hollered at the fellow to get out of his way and past him up on the head land and the Hydro followed... and that was how the day went, old Hank passing that Hydro every so many rounds. Several days of plowing like that and finally got done and the Hydro went back to the dealership and sat there for a month trying to figure out why a D17 could outplow it. Hank did some calculations and figured he had plowed more ground on less fuel than the Hydro had.... and he told dad and I that the fellow was one of them hard heads that you just couldn't tell him what the real problem was... his plow was not set up right and was  using up about a third more power than it needed to.LOL
...Dealership worked on the Hydro and finally broke the seal on the injection pump and turned it up to 120 hp, just to pull the 5-16 plow a little faster to keep up with Hanks Allis.  A Hydro has about 100hp at the PTO, but only has 80 at the drawbar...
  Well, with it turned up, and fall came, that Hydro was the cats meow chopping the corn, Just sucked that corn through the chopper... until everything got stuck in the mudDisapprove  And he really liked it when he could set the hydro just so it would creep in reverse, get off the tractor and walk bak to hook the chopper box up to the chopper. Just line the holes up and wait until he could drop the pin in.LOL
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 10:50am
Plow set up.....

...ya know, you hear that sooooo many times.  I get that you have to have some adjustability.  I just wonder how/why plows are built such they can be so far out of adjustment they hardly work.  Just odd to me, that's all. 
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 3:43pm
well Craig, there are a lot of Variables to that plow set up, types of soil, types of plow bottoms, types of landslides, types of shares, height of arms on the tractor, wheel spacings.  The list has variables in it too fully mounted, semi mounted, pull type, on land hitch, or in the furrow...  and the type of steel, and the temper in it... believe that or not, I seen it. 
 Dad had worn the bottoms down on the plow and they were not the flat throw away blades but the ones with the part of the landslides on them. He took them to old Panzer, the blacksmith and we went back the next day and got them. Dad put them on and went out and tried to get that plow to plow, and tried setting it but couldn't get it to work.  We took them back and dad told him he just couldn't make them work, Panzer asked what was he trying to plow? Clay and loam... Panzer replied back, Oh, I harden them up for sand and rock where you use to live... I will fix that. He heated them up and chilled them a different way. Took them home and put them on and 10 minutes later in the field, the shares were shiney and the plow adjusted and the old WD was back to plowing with 3-14 in clay.   
  Dad was going to buy a new tractor one time, and called up the Ford dealership and asked if he could try out their Fordson Major and old Neilly brought it out with 4-16 plow and dropped it off. Dad spent half a day trying to make the tractor and plow work and finally called up Neilly and told him to come get it. What is wrong? -Dad said he can't make it plow. - neilly said, oh you don't have it adjusted right.... Neilly was out the next morning and he and dad tried and tried to get it to work and finally Neilly drove it up on the truck and took off, and dad went back to plowing with the old propane powered WD. couple years later we got a second WD with a 3-14 plow with the throw away shares, and that plow was easier to replace the wear parts and ol' Panzer had died so no taking the shares to him anymore.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 9:18pm
Dad bought the 3 bottom John Deere plow he pulled with the 560 gas new and I remember when they delivered it the mechanic Old Fred came along to adjust the plow. My Dad put the plow in the ground and started with Fred walking along behind after a few feet Fred hollered whoa! dad stopped Fred took some wrenches out of his pocket and adjusted the bolts on either side of the tail wheel and hollered Giddap! My Dad pulled the plow across the field and back to where Fred stood looking at the furrows. Dad idled the 560 down to where Fred could talk and Dad could hear him. Fred said That's good enough for your ground got in his car and left!
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 9:29pm
Fred was a darn good hay baler mechanic known far and wide. His grandson worked for a neighbor milking cows and one evening the farmers son came up from the field and stopped at the barn and said he could not finish baleing a field of hay as the baler would not tie. The grandson said you watch these milkers on these cows and I will call someone who can fix your baler with a sledge hammer! He called Old Fred who came right over and drove his car back to the field got out opened the trunk and picked up a 8 lb. maul with a shortened handle, walked over to the baler adjusted the trip arm and hit the bolt wham! with the sledgehammer. Never saying a word to anyone put the sledgehammer back in the trunk of his car and drove home! The farmers son finished the field and came back to the barn where Fred's grandson was finishing milking and told him the baler never missed a tie and he would not have believed it if he hadn't seen it with his own eyes !
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 9:44pm
In our area we have variable soil types in every field. Everything from sandy loam, red clay to black heavy clay. Setting a plow as JC said took knowledge and skill. Most farmers when trailer plows were used had John Deere or Oliver plows as they pulled easier. IH plows did a good job in heavy trash but pulled like a cat by the tail! When semi mounted plows became popular then farmers started not being so color blind as they pulled easier and had more clearance built into them. IH took the market when they produced their automatic reset bottom but they still pulled hard but by this time higher horsepower tractors were marketed and farmers did not care as long as they could pull 5 or 6 bottoms.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 7:16am
JC, well, yessir, I’m aware of all those variables and have experience working with them. Just kind of an aside mentioning on my part. It is still somewhat amazing to me that you can have an implement designed to dig, and yet it can be so far out of whack that it won’t!

I’ve become a fairly decent plow hand finally over the years. One thing for certain is plow to plow tractor to tractor no two things are alike. After all, this year I finally got the Allis to pull the JD 2810 6 bottom when dad and many others said I would not.

I’ve seen your story on here before about the blacksmith. I gotta say I can’t really figure out how hardness effects the plow being able to plow. That’s an interesting puzzle. I can see it taking much longer to scour nice and shiny....is that what you think happened?
H Clark View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 7:55am
Originally posted by klinemar klinemar wrote:

Fred was a darn good hay baler mechanic known far and wide. His grandson worked for a neighbor milking cows and one evening the farmers son came up from the field and stopped at the barn and said he could not finish baleing a field of hay as the baler would not tie. The grandson said you watch these milkers on these cows and I will call someone who can fix your baler with a sledge hammer! He called Old Fred who came right over and drove his car back to the field got out opened the trunk and picked up a 8 lb. maul with a shortened handle, walked over to the baler adjusted the trip arm and hit the bolt wham! with the sledgehammer. Never saying a word to anyone put the sledgehammer back in the trunk of his car and drove home! The farmers son finished the field and came back to the barn where Fred's grandson was finishing milking and told him the baler never missed a tie and he would not have believed it if he hadn't seen it with his own eyes !

My neighbor is a jack of all trades. He tells a story of when he was driving truck across country that he was passing a farm and out in the field was a farmer trying to square bale. He had busted bales scattered across the field. Frank being the good hearted guy he is pulled of to the side and crossed the fence to see if he could help. He saw the arm that pushes the knot off the knotter was bent so he grabbed the guys hammer to straighten it. He raises the hammer to hit it and at the same time he said” I hate these John Deere balers”. The man caught his arm mid swing and said what are you doing. So Frank has to explain what needed done before the man would let him fix it. Lol
1960 D-12,1948 WC, 1973 160, 1977 175, 1984 6060
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 11:14am
^^^^LOLLOLLOL^^^^
Clark, that reminded me of a neighbor that has a JD baler and he was having knot troubles and I went over and looked at it. He told me that a well known knotter rebuilder was coming in a week or so that modifies the knotters with designs of his own... I said thats a week from now and went through it and reset it.  Couple weeks later I stopped in to look at what the 'new' modified parts looked like and he said that after all the work, the baler tied better after I had adjusted it than after the 'expert' with his modified parts were done with it.
  T-bone, I don't know, but I seen what happens.  Those old timers sure didn't want to wear the horse out when they were pulling the plow hour after hour. So they had to know how to work the metal and shape it to the best possible condition they could... and if the old black smithy didn't know what he was doing, he wasn't long in the trade.

You remember the story about the fellow that had the 966 with a 4X16 710 IH plow and was struggling to pull it? and at the mill Maurie was telling Mike how hard the clay ground plowed... and Mike said that after Dinner he would come down... He hooked his 886 up to 6X18 plow and didn't even put the duals on and went down... Maurie was near the far end when Mike got down there. He pulled in and dropped the plow in and pulled the throttle down and came smoking up behind Maurie. Maurie was flabbergasted at how fast Mike had caught up to him, and then even more when he seen it was a 6x18. Then started accusing Mike of plowing shallow and out came the tape measure and Mike was actually plowing an inch deeper... with a lesser of a tractor (which really had the pump turned up for pulling)... only difference really was the fact that Mike was on land and Maurie was in the furrow... other than two more bottoms and rolling 44 inches more dirt.  Mike said there was something wrong with the maurie's plow and they tried adjusting it for quite awhile and finally Mike told Maurie to go home, he would finish the field. Maurie later traded the 710 for a 720 plow and it pulled easier, a night and day difference he said.
 Yes, those 'variables'that are seen and unseen.

klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 3:18pm
Neighbor got sick and was in the hospital right at Corn Chopping . 2 neighbors Ray and Wallace decided to help Bob by Chopping his Corn. Both had 4020 John Deere Tractors and 880 New Holland 2 row choppers. Ray started first with Wallace following. Every time Ray got to the end of the field and looked around Wallace had the front of his tractor almost pushing Ray's wagon! When they got to the dead furrow the Corn was thinner and Ray figured here he would leave Wallace so he shifted up a gear. When he came to the end he looked around and there was Wallace his 4020 blowing black smoke like a freight train still taking 2 full rows and trying to push Ray's wagon!

Edited by klinemar - 09 Sep 2018 at 3:18pm
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 3:36pm
I read the book Truman by David MCcullough. In the book he tells of Harry Truman campaigning for Missouri Senator in his Dodge Car crisscrossing the State. One time Harry was on a rural road he saw a Farmer having trouble with a Corn Binder. Harry having been a farmer stopped to see if he could help. Harry looked the Binder over found the problem,rolled up his shirt sleeves and asked the farmer for a wrench. Soon Harry had the Binder fixed and was leaving. The farmer told him thanks and that he was not going to vote for him but he would now as Harry did know how to fix a Corn Binder!
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 11:58am
Dad was telling last night that a customer asked him to bring out a used L2 for a field demo.  Dad said yes he could do that.  The customer asked if it was alright if the IH dealer brought something out too.  Dad said he would really like that.  When dad got there, there was no IH in sight.  When asked, the customer said that the IH dealer wasn't going to show up if there was a Gleaner there!!

Dad was also telling of another dealer that had both Gleaner and IH.  When they were at a new product intro for Gleaner, they were showing the good parts of the Gleaner and weak points of the competition.  The presenter turned to the guy from the other dealership and asked what they say at the IH introductions.  He said that if you are at a field day with a Gleaner you better hope it breaks down otherwise you will look foolish!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic