This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

185 3rd gear noise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 185turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 185 3rd gear noise
    Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 9:50pm
New to the forum , i have a 185 sn 13164 . It was a gear jumper but it got that fixed by taking it apart and found that the ball and spring on the 3 4 shift rail was missing (rear ball and spring) i also added the d17 spring to original spring.
It got stuck in gear this summer got the cover off which was tough. Got everything lined back up and put together and ever since it seems to have a noise in 3rd gear only. Its kind of a faint clang clang, not constant. It does it in high and low range. It also only does it under a load (uphill). I cant seem to pinpoint where it’s coming from.
Any ideas or suggestions on what to do? Thanks
185 turbocharged w/ 500 loader , WD
Sponsored Links

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 7:53am
Did you put the down bolts in the correct places?       MACK
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 7:56am
he means dowel bolts..... they go in the front left corner and rear right corner of the shift cover if I remember correctly.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
185turbo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 185turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 8:00am
Yes the dowel bolts are in the lf and rr locations
185turbo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 185turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 10:10am
When it was stuck in gear this summer i had a hard time getting the shift cover off, i was wondering if maybe i tweaked the shift fork or something getting the cover off? but I would think it would do it in 4th also...
Could it be possible that the sliding collar is rubbing on the 3rd gear?
It almost sounds like the noise is in the rear end but why only in 3rd gear?
Thanks for any help
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 2:54pm
If I remember right the gear shift should have been put into 2nd gear before removal.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
185turbo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 185turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 8:57pm
Yes i think that is right, but when it was stuck in gear i had no choice on how to get it out/ off.
Would it be worth getting a new 3/4 shift fork and putting it in?
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 10:16pm
Could you have bent the reverse fork a little and the sliding gear is nicking the one it's closest to? Betting you tweaked something in shift plate taking it apart when stuck in gear.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 6:20am
Originally posted by 185turbo 185turbo wrote:

Yes i think that is right, but when it was stuck in gear i had no choice on how to get it out/ off.
Would it be worth getting a new 3/4 shift fork and putting it in?
At least a good used one. Maybe you could compare yours to a good one. I'm betting you have a bent fork.
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
185turbo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 185turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 6:27am
Ok so does 3rd gear and reverse have something in common?

As far as a new 3/4 shift fork , would it be better to get a agco fork or would a aftermarket one work ok
Thanks
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 7:03am
Something in common? You mean would the reverse fork being bent affect 3rd gear? I can't remember without looking at one. I would check both the 3rd/4th fork and the reverse fork. The reverse fork isn't as sturdy so it may be bent. It's been a while since I've been into one but why would you add a D17 spring to the original? I also wonder why the ball and spring were missing in your shift rail?
Best if someone with a lot more experience than I address these problems for you.

Edited by Lonn - 17 Aug 2018 at 7:03am
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
185turbo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 185turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 7:54am
Yes that was what I meant.
I added the extra spring for more holding power per a thread on here.
Its just weird that it only affects 3rd gear.
Are there any opinions on the shift forks as fat as agco or aftermarket?
Steve Zidlicky View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Zidlicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 9:31am
99% that your reverse idler gear is now rubbing 3rd gear.  had this happen on two different tractors when the gears were changed and did not fit right because replacement 3rd was wider than original.  yours is probably bent fork that puts them rubbing as no gears have been changed.  maybe the detent problems that you have could put 3rd too close to reverse idler but since you had to force the top off fork(s) could be bent too.
185turbo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 185turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 12:20pm
Ok i will order new shift forks for 3/4 and maybe the reverse fork and go from there from there.

Does anybody have a preference goin with aftermarket shift forks or should I get agco forks???
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 1:17pm
I'm a tight wad so I would pull the top off and see if you can see the reverse fork a little out of whack and bend it back.What's there to lose?
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 2:17pm
I definitely would not order anything until you know what's going on.
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
185turbo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 185turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 6:27pm
Well i think I figured out my problem, took shifter cover off n looked at the reverse and 3/4 firk reverse looked a little tweaked so i got it close to straight. Went and looked inside trans and saw that 3rd gear was missing 2 teeth that I could see , there was a tooth between them that was still there.
Suppose the reverse fork being slighty bent caused the gear to break ? Im sure the missing teeth is my noise.
185turbo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 185turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 4:21pm
Im not sure what gear it was stuck in this summer but im guessing when that happened thats what broke the 3rd gear teeth ?
I guess ill just run it till 3rd gear is gone.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic