This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gas tank hole

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog NCWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas tank hole
    Posted: 01 May 2018 at 10:03pm
How would you fix a small hole in a gas tank? The hole is under the tank where the tank is near the top of the tool box on a Allis CA. Over the years the tank rub on the edge of the tool box. Will solder work? Cry
Sponsored Links

Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 4:18am
Yeh, be careful about any flame,,,, use electric iron,,,,,,,,,,, or there are a couple of good resin based repairs that will last for years and years!
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
Bull View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 6:52am
I have used JB weld with success.
WD45 Diesel, RC,CA,IB, B, G, 616, Early B-10, D-10, Terra Tiger, 95G spreader, SC blade
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 7:26am
I used JB on a similar hole in as JD and it worked.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 7:31am
Belzona 1111 (Super Metal)
I have used Belzona since the mid 1980's.  IT WORKS.
The largest leak I ever fixed was on a 90' long patch on a fuel storage tank at a refinery. The welded patch had some porous welds.  I used Belzona to seal the leaks.

1. Degrease the area with acetone or MEK.  Remove paint for 1 inch around the leak.
2. Roughen the surface. The rough surface gives the epoxy a place to grip.
3. Degrease.
4. Mix the Belzona 1111 (Super Metal).  3 parts base to 1 part solidifier.  
5. Apply the mixed material to the repair area.
6. Allow to cure 45 minutes at 86 deg.  
7. Place a heat lamp over the repair area and allow it to post cure 2-4 hours (140-22 deg). 
NOTE: The warmer the temp the faster the cure.  Thinner takes longer to cure. 
           There are no solvents in this material.  Paint dries by evaporating of solvents. 
            Belzona is NOT paint. It is 100% Solids and does not shrink.  It cures.
8. Once the tank cools, sand and paint as desired.

Gordy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 8:40am

I have repaired several by filling with water with a small bubble at the hole and brazing them.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 9:01am
Yes, solder works fine but so should JBweld...
surface prep is CRITICAL !
first is to get metal bright and shiny
2nd, 'tin' the area. IE put down a layer of solder 3-4x the bad spot
3rd, cut piece of tin 2-3x bigger than 'worn area'.
4th, solder it over the hole
5th, wire brush and resolder if required.
You'll need the extra tin ,as the tank is thin at that spot.

I've also used JBWeld. besure surface is super clean and shiny,clean with alcohol and paper towel,keep cleaning using new section of towel until NO black stuff comes off, NOW it's clean . mix JBWeld real good ! I've used a wire wheel to roughen up the surface to help JBW stick.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 10:21am
J-B Weld is an epoxy.  I have repaired carburator floats with 2 part epoxy, and have it work fine, but then in a couple of years have it leak again in the same place.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 10:36am
Wash out with soap and water. Then run exhaust hose from your truck into the tank....
Keep truck running while you solder braze of whatever you wish. Go for the permanent fix, you will be happy in the future.

Edited by Macon Rounds - 02 May 2018 at 3:00pm
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
D17JIM2 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D17JIM2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 12:39pm
I've done what Mason did and it works. Also put exhaust from my truck into an over head gas tank and brazed it. Carbon monoxide forces out oxygen and don't burn or explode.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 12:46pm
There is very little carbon monoxide in engine exhaust, a few parts per million. Most all the rest of the combustion products is carbon dioxide. And we breath out carbon dioxide as the major component of our breath.

Gerald J.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Gerald J. Gerald J. wrote:

There is very little carbon monoxide in engine exhaust, a few parts per million. Most all the rest of the combustion products is carbon dioxide. And we breath out carbon dioxide as the major component of our breath.

Gerald J.
Yep, and water.

Balance the chemical reaction equation for burning (oxidizing) any hydrocarbon, and the result is carbon dioxide, water vapor, then very trace amounts of many other things like carbon monoxide, various nitrogen oxides, sulfur oxides, trace amounts of the fuel, etc.

The action of the exhaust in the tank is just like a flushing action, with a gas that's virtually absent of oxygen, so it won't burn or explode.  You could accomplish the same thing with Nitrogen or argon or MIG gas or many others.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 1:26pm
Or pour in some vinegar, and a couple tablespoons of baking soda.  ;-)

Really, once you rinse it out with water, there's gonna be very little fuel left.  I burn out motorcycle gas tanks before performing repairs- as long as you remove all the fittings (so it's open), all fumes will burn off, and you're fine.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 2:16pm
Solder with a clean surface using a soldering iron. Then, fill the inside of the tank with a gas tank repair coating and let cure. Tank must be clean and dry before pouring this stuff in the tank. Soldering will repair the hole and keep it closed. The tank coating makes double sure there's never a problem.  Motorcycle tanks are repaired all the time with this stuff.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 2:30pm
If you decide to use an epoxy product, research its chemical resistance.
No all epoxies are the same.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 3:22pm
I've used J B Weld for years .Never on a gas tank .Works for me . Have cleaned with alcohol before . J B Weld FAQ site says don't use alcohol .Guess I'll use acetone next time .
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 12:16pm
JB Weld will work for a while, but it's not a permanent repair. Eventually it will soften and leak. Soldering or brazing is your permanent repair. The best way to clean the repair area is by sandblasting. You remove all traces of rust and it leaves a satin finish perfect for the solder or brass to attach to.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 8:48am
I get my welded. He runs a fuse to it first, then adds a little fire from a distance. Good to go after the first pop.
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 9:13am
I wouldn't use JB weld or anything like that. Welding or brazing is the way to go. I brazed a motorcycle tank once and didn't put anything in it. I got a couple of flash fires and some flames shot out the fill cap hole. It's just a little noise, but they won't explode.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic