This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

#3 sickle mower pitman arm and hyd. ram pictures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: #3 sickle mower pitman arm and hyd. ram pictures
    Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 9:03pm
Here are some pictures of the pitman arm and hyd. ram for my #3 mower. 

Sponsored Links

ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 9:08pm
As far as the ram, the measurements from center to center of the pins is 20 1/4" closed and 28 1/4" fully extended, so 8" of throw on it.  The pitman arm wood is 1 1/8" by 1 3/4" stock and 25 3/4 long.    It is notched on the one end for the brackets that go to the sickle side so it is only 1 1/2" wide.   The other end has a hole bored into the end for the spring to set into.  I don't know how deep it is without taking the spring out.   From the center of the most inside holes on each of the brackets is 15 1/2".  As you can see in the pictures, the brackets are turned 90 degrees from each other.   I hope that helps Carl and others that needed the info.  If you have any other questions, post them here or PM me and I can try to help you out.  
Leonard View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 10:08pm
Thanks Chuck, I have been meaning to ask if any one had the dimensions for the pitman arm for a #3 mower as I have one that I will be restoring for use soon.

Leonard
Carl(NWWI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 10:41pm
ok, 8" stroke, that helps, on other thing, got mine runing today, doesnt cut very good, sickles are ok, but what do i need for a gear and rpm. and buddy of mine mentioned something about it being lined up with the guard at full stroke?
ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 6:15am
Carl, I have a manual for mine around here someplace, but I can't find it right now.  When I get home from work, I will look in there and see if there's anything that will help you. 
MilesGray (CO/KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilesGray (CO/KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 7:07am
Thanks Chuck, This is just the information I needed!

Miles
Miles Gray (CO/KS)

5 1938 B's, 1940 B, 1944 WF C, 1948 NF C, Gleaner A, White Top Rotobaler, 1957 IH Golden Jubilee... I'm either a collector, or crazy!
Murph-NC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murph-NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 7:33am
Chuck, thanks a bunch for the information.
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 11:59am
If you are having trouble cutting with a sickle bar mower you may check the stroke.  The sickle blade should move from the center of one guard and end on the center of the other.  If the pitman rod is the wrong length that will cause the blade to be out of time and will not cut properly.
I sold a customer the wrong pitman one time and he messed up a field of mowing.  He was nice about it but my father was not that nice to me.  Be certain about the pitman rod wood length.  It is critical.
Good Luck!
Bill Long 
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 12:02pm
The hole for the spring only goes in to the first cross bolt so its about 3/4" deep. I replaced mine a couple years ago. We just made it out of a Oak piece to match the original.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic