This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

machinist help (new idea)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdtractormechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: machinist help (new idea)
    Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 7:43pm
Hi All! I'm looking for a machinist in the central Maryland area. I need someone who can increase the center bore of a vintage 14" Delta cast iron bandsaw wheel to fit my newer Delta wood/metal bandsaw. Thanks in advance for any help. Joe

Edited by mdtractormechanic - 02 Apr 2018 at 5:58pm
Joe's 1939 Model WC, 1940 Model RC, 1944 & 1950 Model C's, B-125 PU
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 9:12am
need to find someone with a gap bed lathe or large lathe - 
My lathe is such that i can remove part of bed by chuck area and swing up to 14" stock - but doesn't help you as little far to travel for quick bore of wheel 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
mdtractormechanic View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdtractormechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 6:10pm
Thanks for the offer Coke. There are questions I have to ask the machinist on what I would have to do to prepare the wheel for enlarging. I imagine I'd have to remove the tire os as to allow it to be trued up on the lathe or there may be another method used.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 7:27pm
If it's flat on the face it can be done on a mill with a boring head so dont limit yourself to just somebody with a lathe. As far as prep work goes I'd say clean it the best you can and remove any dings or burrs that with effect the running condition
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdtractormechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 9:09pm
All go suggestions but for naught without a machinist but thanks anyway.

nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by mdtractormechanic mdtractormechanic wrote:

Thanks for the offer Coke. There are questions I have to ask the machinist on what I would have to do to prepare the wheel for enlarging. I imagine I'd have to remove the tire os as to allow it to be trued up on the lathe or there may be another method used.

If the saw runs smooth, no vibrations, cast-iron sometimes warps as it cures with age and pressure, the wheel should be able to be chucked in a 4 jaw independent chuck without taking off the tire. 
A Bridgeport with a digital readout would be a better way, you would clamp it on the bed, find the center of the hole, drilled out and ream it to the proper size.

I had to do my Walker-Turner 16" metal bandsaw, had a bad vibration in it, wheels were warped and had to grind both sides of the wheel where the tire mounts on(about 25thousands off the high spots), reface the face of the wheel where the tire mounts on and balance it. I don't have a Bridgeport so I had to do the job on my 20" Lodge and Shipley Lathe. Got rid of about 98% of the vibration in the saw. Whew, that job had this barnyard machinist thinking!!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 9:07am
That is the method I would use is to use a mandril in present hole to true the hub - then mount the hub into a 4 jaw or face plate - then bore hole - would not try to chuck the full wheel by outer rim . The gap bed lathe allows large work to be turned yet one would need lot larger lathe to chuck the outside diameter of a 14" wheel .Just a estimate but it would need to be 20" swing or more .
 Same could be done on a mill using a arbor in present hole to true wheel to bed and quill - then boring or drilling present hole to needed size . 
 All the work would be done using present center of bore to dial in on new bore - not the outside circumference and trying to center that to bore center . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdtractormechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 9:26am
Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I decided to go anoter way. I'm searching another shaft for my bandsaw and turn it down to fit the lower wheel. Thanks again, Joe
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic