This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Them weather people?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Them weather people?
    Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 4:28pm
You know, them ones on TV,  that do the forecast.  I was wondering a few things here???  How much do they make a year, how many times are they correct, AND how long would we be employed, IF, we screwed up as much as they do??  BUT, they always have a excuse for this went this way, and this changed here, and etc.  But ya never hear them say, "I screwed up"!!
And NO, I am not pointing the finger at Shameless, I know he does his thing with the machine, and loves every minute of it!!!!  Just wish it would run out of fuel! lol

This is sorta a thought from the pot, but I am on the computer! 
Sponsored Links

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 5:15pm
Answers: a lot, never, less than 24 hours. In March of 1993 our local news forecaster predicted snow with no accumulation. By the end of the next day we had somewhere between 10 and 14 inches of snow depending on where you live. That was the first time I heard it thunder while snowing. Since then he's been known as Ken "no accumulation" Cook. I think he recently retired..... from the same station.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 6:09pm
well, to be fair, predicting the weather is worse than reading a woman's mind!
Too many variables. all they can do is create models based on past experience and hope for the best
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 6:22pm
up here at least $70K a year..must be nice to get paid to make mistakes and never punished for them.
They are pretty good at 3 day or less forecasts though, then again with all the super computers doing a zillon calculations, it don't take a 'weather scientist' to say what's on the teleprompter. Most are cute young chicks....hmmmmmmmm
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 11:05pm
One thing the weather man never misses on around here is the wind. If he says the wind is going to blow, it damn sure is going to. Darrel
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 11:36pm
For the most part, especially for severe weather, the TV folks get their info from the National Weather Service(NWS).  And Lou is correct, they have computer generated models that they try to figure which is the most likely choice.  I'm not sure about now, but they were using the European models because the U.S. doesn't have a computer capable of creating very accurate models.  When I left they were talking about putting a new system together for models.

If you want an idea of what they are looking at, watch a hurricane forecast and the threads of possible paths it could take.  All weather has the same characteristics.  For the best weather forecasts, watch the Weather Channel or any of your networks, except Fox.  Fox uses Accu Weather and they are the worst forecasters. 

The local TV weather folks sometimes take it upon themselves to outguess the NWS, That is usually the ones that make the big mistakes.

For current weather systems, I watch the radar on my phone and I can track where the weather is going.  It's centered on my location and I cycle it on past displays.  That will show a track the weather is taking, to give you an idea of what you need to know right now.  Especially helpful for watching thunderstorms for possible tornadoes.  I also watch the radar when rain and snow systems move thru the area so  I know when it's going to end and which way it's going.

Since I started using my phone I haven't watched the Weather Underground, wunderground.com I believe.  They were also very accurate.  Or you can go to weather.gov/xxx, where xxx is the NWS office serving your area.

I hope that helps you out for getting better weather forecast accuracy.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 12:20am
They are there as entertainers and to keep the ratings up. Like John says, they use NWS and computer models to forecast the weather. And,................ the cute chicks are more entertaining.

Tyler, Ken Cook did retire and from the same station.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 4:36am
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

One thing the weather man never misses on around here is the wind. If he says the wind is going to blow, it damn sure is going to. Darrel
You mean it STOPS SOMETIMES??  I've never been there when that happens...

All the old timers had things that determined the weather for them and they were correct about 98% of the time.  I know one that's ALWAYS true....when you see horsetails (a certain cloud formation) it's gonna rain within 24 hours.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 4:40am
Speakin of 'cute' weather persons.......we had us a real knockout here!!  Both of her,,,,,,er um,,,,,cumulus clouds let's say Clap,,,,,,,,WOW!  Honest to goodness DJ, them was nail bitin times....  Then she had a baby and after that, her German heritage took over....I don't watch the weather anymore... Cry Cry
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 5:40am
Well of course it doesn't ever stop blowing, Ted. That's how they can predict it so easily. Darrel
Darrell G (MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell G (MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 7:45am
Darrel you could maybe close the door and keep all that wind in ND we have had an awful lot of wind this winter and spring.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 8:20am
Well there, other brother Darrell. The wind is coming straight out of your direction, so me thinks yous the one who needs to close the door. Darrel
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 8:42am
Darrel in ND the wind here is usually blowing from the northwest. North Dakota is northwest of Darrel G (MN). So shut the dang door please.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 6:57pm
Being here in SE MI and the wind coming out of the north we always figured it was because OH Sux!LOL
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 8:29pm
when I was in school the kid next door was studying "weather' or what ever they called his degree.... I remember him saying one of the professors drilled into them.... "Read the chart, read the graphs, listen to others.. but BEFORE you go on the AIR... LOOK OUT THE WINDOW" !!
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
allis g View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 10:08pm
Best weatherman around here is the meteorologist at the nuke plant over on the coast. he's more accurate than the people on the news. You can sign up to get a daily email for him.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic