This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chevy transfer case

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chevy transfer case
    Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 5:04pm
I have a question for any GM mechanics. On my 01 suburban, the transfer case is sort of stuck in a neutral position. It won't go into 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel drive. If I hit the button for 2 wheel drive, the light by that button will blink for about 5 seconds, then nothing. If I hit the 4 wheel drive button, light by it does the same thing. Suburban won't move. If I try to put it into park, after trying drive, transmission will grind. The "service wheel drive" message shows up on the message center. There were a few times in the past six months that it didn't want to change from 2 wheel to 4 wheel quite like it should have, and that message showed up then, too. But shutting it off, and starting it back up cleared the message. Is my whole transfer case going to be toast, or is there a shifting solenoid that may be the culprit...? Any advice appreciated, Thanks. Darrel
Sponsored Links

Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 6:54pm
I had to change the switch unit in my 2007 2500. It would blink similar to what you describe when I tried to go into 4 wheel drive low. It would still go in two wheel drive and 4 wheel high. Parts guys here said the switch failing is a common problem.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 6:55pm
Most likely its the shifting encoder its on the Left side of the transfer case has three bolts and one electric connector. on some vehicals you need to take the front drive shaft off to get one of the bolts. the control module the part in the dash is the only other part in the system. its cheep and easy to change the encoder is more expensive and you need to get under it to replace it. I did my wifes just pushing it up on ramps with the tractor. it took a couple hours.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 9:24pm
X2 on the switch.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 9:31pm
a good scaner wil show you the voltages  in and out  of the endcoder motor and also the shift state if it checks out its probley the dash switch .  we just done a 2003 avalanche about three weeks  ago that the guy said it whent into  low going down the hiway but it really didnt .      but i did have it get stuck into nuetral in front of the shop   our fix was the dash switch
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 6:23am
Try dash switch. It's cheaper and easier!
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 7:15am
Thanks for all of the replies, guys. I am breathing a little easier now that I reletivly sure that it's not something that's going to require a whole transfer case rebuild or replace. Darrel
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 11:16am
Neighbors 4x4 chev - dealer repair $700 , modual, hoses , tear into fron axle and transfer case + replace switch 
 Friend who owns transmission shop - replace switch on customers 4x4 - $70 
Mine replace switch $34 
4WD 4 Wheel Drive Switch Transfer Case Selector Dash Switch-for GM Truck Cadillac Escalade Chevolet Silverado Tahoe Avalanche Suburban GMC Sierra Yukon-Replace OE#15136039 15164520 19259313

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 11 Mar 2018 at 11:21am
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 11:26am
With a 2004 2500HD, I was getting a "service 4WD" message on the instrument panel, when trying to go to low, 4wd, 2wd, along with AC, blower controls, and others, 5 electrical items getting power from Ignition switch. 
A large diagnostic bill with $35 switch got me running.  Wish this information were released sooner.

Edited by JoeO(CMO) - 11 Mar 2018 at 11:27am

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 7:39pm
the info has been on here couple years or longer - mine went bad around 2007 on my 2000 GMC - but then the transfer case itself went out at 3,000 miles - seems there were a bunch from the factory they set up wrong and so I got a replacement unit back then - 4 days down while they shipped one in - problem was it went out while i was plowing 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Gordy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 8:01pm
Dash switch on my 01 Silverado was bad I found it had bad solder connections on some of the pins in the circuit board inspect it with a magnifying glass and you will see hairline cracks re solder them and works like a new one. 
“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 3:44pm
My 06 did something similar and mine was the encoder. I bought one from a junk yard for $200 instead of $400 or $600 (don't remember which) and mine has been fine for 3 or 4 years now
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
alan-nj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alan-nj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 1:11pm
Had a 2005 Silverado....not sure if it applies to 01 or not, but a common shifting problem with them was a bad ground.  Look for a grounding bolt on the frame rail on the left side approximately under the driver's door.  Clean all the connections on it and see what happens.
If ignorance is bliss, than happy days are here again.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 8:12pm
Switches were common problems, so were encoder motor sensors. The sensor is quite a bit cheaper than the whole motor assy and are easy to replace.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 9:44pm
I'm getting a little nervous. I took this burb into the local service station/repair shop over a week ago. Told him what was wrong with it, and told him that I was relatively certain it wasn't going to need a complete transfer case. I don't see it outside in the "done" row yet. Darrel
Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 10:45pm
If you need a new T case.
Transfer Case Unlimited 800-683-7623 They will exchange yours for around $1200 I have been very happy with mine.  They install new front and rear housings with the pump upgrade. ETC ...... Good Quality T Case ... with warranty.
Do NOT get yours rebuilt.   GM OEM case has several inherent issues, especially after they get a few miles on it.

IMO

The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic