This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kitchen knife sharpeners,,,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 3:16pm
Put the bit in a drill press and hold the file against the bit as it spins!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Sponsored Links

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 9:27am

Well,,a little feedback on the kitchen knife sharpeners,, checked out several of the suggestions offered and,,,and,,,true to form,,I done a Shameless,,,,snicker, snicker,,,
I liked the RADA like ole Ron told us aboot, so,,I ordered one plus a small "Crock Stick" with the twin ceramic sticks. You talk bout somebody goin to town with putting a sharp on some kitchen knives,,,I'm it,,!!
Thet Rada will put a sharp on a wore out knife before quick can get ready,,,!!! I'm impressed,,,,may have to go to the pawn shop and buy some more knives, I'm likin this so much,,,,
Many thanks for all this new found knowledge,,,
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 3:39pm
A guy at the shop couldn't sharpen a drill bit to cut, so he had the company pay for a Drill Doctor. It doesn't work at all, no way no how. I've done drill bits by hand since my tool making days back in 1974, so i have had a lot of practice. My problem with dills nowadays is the ones under an 1/8th inch. Can't see em so good anymore Unhappy
  I've sharpened my hunting knives and pocket knives for years with a set of stones and could always shave hair with them when done. Wife always seemed to have the dullest knives in the county though.
 Just the last few years I use a small sandstone , slow turning wheel to touch them up before I put the diamond dusted little steel plate to them.
 I've looked at videos of home built stropping wheels and just might have to build me one. Since I've been in the kitchen more the last few years, I take time to touch up a few of the better quality knives now and then. Used to only do the ones I used to cut up my deer.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 11 Mar 2018 at 3:40pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 3:41pm
Best bet is a Knife makers Jeweler's Rouge belt sharpener, minimal heat, sets a Smooth edge and a long term edge. We have a local gal that sharpens ANYTHING metal, put a scary set of edges on some knives for us!! Used the noted leather belt sharpener.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 6:13pm
About 15-20 years ago, I was lookin at one on the snap on truck, I think they wanted like $40-50 bucks for.  Never bought it, good thing, cause I later found one, in a lot I bought at an auction, you know, the throw away lot that nobody outbids yer dollar bid!

Any it looks like this, I think the name was like uncle bucks sharpener...

allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 10:58pm
Joe
I would be interested in hearing how to sharpen drill bits.
Mike
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 11:19pm
I could never re sharpen drill bits either, the old lady.....oooops....I mean the loving wife bought me a drill doctor for my birthday once, and I never could make that thing work right either! I just go buy new cobalt bits now.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 11:58pm
Sharpening a drill bit requires that you understand all the angles involved, and can get your hand position proper for all of them, make the motion to replicate those angle transitions, and do so without overheating the metal and ruining the temper.

This actually goes for ANY kind of cutting device.  If you learn how to cut a variety of lathe tool bits from raw HSS blanks, you can sharpen ANYTHING.

One of the most important things to know about sharpening blades, is that the biggest mistake, is trying to take off too much metal.  The sharp edge is just that- an edge.  I just address my knives and tools lightly with a diamond hone a wee bit, and they stay plenty sharp, even through hard use.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 7:53am
I spent years developing my technique for sharpening drill bits. The important thing I learned from that was, DON'T let others know you can do a good job of it. Once co-workers know you can sharpen a bit , they decide they don't need to spend the time to learn and hand them to you to do it for them Ermm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 7:53am
Mike, next time we get together, I'll give you a quick lesson Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic