This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Torque converter service.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torque converter service.
    Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 2:18pm
Hello troops.

As I am buying all filters for a complete fluid change, I have a couple of questions. I have the owners manual as my guide but something I might be missing is servicing the Torque Converter on my HD16dc. Other than greasing the fittings for it on the floor, do I need to drain it or clean a filter for it?

1. Is there a filter for this separately or covered under something else. Can't seem to find out through the
    manual.
2. I have a filter for the coolant. Is that a unique filter & still available and is so, a filter brand or model number. I
    am looking through my Agco dealer but have not heard back from them yet.

This one is a shifting question. 1,2 and 3 forward are fine, Reverse 2 or high is fine but when trying to use low reverse gear, when you engage the clutch it pops out. Sometimes it starts to move in reverse but then the shifter pops out. Any idea on where to point me on that one. Not huge right now as I am doing all routine service, but will be getting to that eventually and was curious.

Thank you. I am browsing all the forum topics as hobby reading and am very impressed with the knowledge on and experience in this forum. Learning daily from all of you.
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 2:43pm
jerbob.  i cant say on the converter issue as i dont have one but the 1st reverse could be as simple as the fork has moved on the shaft so when the detent is engaged the coupler is not fully engaged.  first gear and 1st reverse utilize the same shift coupler and are positioned facing each other on the pinion shaft.  hopefully that is the case and not that the coupling splines are worn badly.

when i first got my 16 i had trouble with it staying in gear and it was a detent/fork movement issue.  i cant recall exactly what/where but i fixed it.  looking at the parts book the DC uses 2 clamp bolts per shift fork,  not likely they would both come loose but you never know.  fork could be worn also

these online versions are so handy.

Edited by CAL(KS) - 28 Aug 2017 at 2:51pm
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 2:55pm
Thank you Cal. As I mentioned, the reverse gear low speed is not a bother today but at some point I will be turning my attention to it. I will be pulling the floor plates to grease the Universal Joints on the drive shaft and I will see what I can see on the shifter. I have had to replace so many grease fitting due to rust and age that I would not be surprised if any of the linkages were greased.

The 16 has the 3 fittings on the floor on the Right Side. One if for the clutch I believe and 2 for the torque converter shaft forward and back. the old grease had to be cut of with a chisel and knife just to get to a position of getting a grease gun on them and greasing them. Hoping the old girl loosens up and can stretch her tired bones a little.

jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by CAL(KS) CAL(KS) wrote:

jerbob.  i cant say on the converter issue as i dont have one but the 1st reverse could be as simple as the fork has moved on the shaft so when the detent is engaged the coupler is not fully engaged.  first gear and 1st reverse utilize the same shift coupler and are positioned facing each other on the pinion shaft.  hopefully that is the case and not that the coupling splines are worn badly.

when i first got my 16 i had trouble with it staying in gear and it was a detent/fork movement issue.  i cant recall exactly what/where but i fixed it.  looking at the parts book the DC uses 2 clamp bolts per shift fork,  not likely they would both come loose but you never know.  fork could be worn also

these online versions are so handy.

This detail out of MInn Parr is great. I think it is better than the parts book that came with the tractor. Clearly shows a drain plug and filter. Thank you CAL(KS)
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 7:46am
Good Morning.
Regarding my hd16.
I found out that I was missing the last two pages of the original owners manual and the torque converter is on one of those pages. Looked it up and found that it states that there is no service needed on the torque converter other than greasing the 2 fittings for the shaft. There is a return fuel filter that needs to be taken out and cleaned with solvent.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 7:49am
Should be a metal screen filter in the fluid return, just clean as you would any metal screen, I removed the largest part of solids by scraping then used compressed air to clear the pores/mesh.

Edited by DMiller - 29 Aug 2017 at 7:50am
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 9:02am
Thank you DMiller. Another service mystery solved. Boy, the $$$ for all the fluids and filters is adding up quickly. Getting hard to hide it now. hahahah.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic