This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

amount of hours on machine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: amount of hours on machine
    Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 9:00am
Hello Group.

I get my HD16 delivered either Thursday or Friday this week. Totally geeked. Looking for an opinion.

My machine has 3500 original hours on the meter. 1 owner. A 1961 unit based on the serial number of HD16DC5272.

I know there are many factors at play on condition of any given piece of equipment such as upkeep, work performed, stored inside or outside and good maintenance. That said and only looking at the hour meter as a guide to running time, would you consider 3,500 hours a medium amount of hours for a 56 year old machine. No major engine work indicated and I have what is claimed to be his documentation of his machine maintenance.

Just curious.

Thank you all for the prompt answers lately. If you can't tell I am pretty eager to get this baby on my property
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 9:47am
if it actually has 3500 hours that is very low and a should be a good solid machine.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 10:08am
track wear is a better teller of time than a hour meter - a set of tracks has only so many hours of turning - and less the faster one goes in reverse - wear on  under carriage is the big factor as that is one of the more expensive things to fix and first to wear out .  

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 10:23am
Agreed with you on the UC and tracks. The grousers have a good 1.75" to almost 2". Tracks need to be adjusted as they are loose by any visual standard. I did not pry up on the track for a measurement but stood on it between the support roller to see how much of a dip is showing. Needs to be taken up an inch or two.
Ferdinand View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 11:27am
I"m curious about transporting such a big machine. Got some questions, if you don't mind.
How far away is the dozer being shipped?
You bought it and the seller is going to load it?
Any problems with permits? Didn't need one?
Did you get a bill of sale or just a handshake deal?

Just wondering how to go about this if I ever buy a dozer.
Because narrow is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leads unto life, and few there be that find it.
Mathew 7:14
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 11:50am
Great questions for sure. Here is what I did. Not to say this is the only way to do this for sure.

1. The machine is 2 hours from my place. The owner of the machine suggested a company that he used to get
    machine delivered to him. As for buying the dozer, I sat on it, drove it, pushed some dirt with it, and did a
     walk around checking all the stuff I wanted to know and what others have suggested. If I had a friend that
     was knowledgeable about the dozer I would've had them with me as well.
2. I checked engine hours,sprockets, tracks, chains, gauges, fluid levels, hoses, oil leaks, damage to frame or        blade while looking for welds and repairs. The person I bought it from had it for 2 years and only used it to clear one field he says. He bought it from the original owner. Owner had all the books, manuals and service records.

3. I paid by check, and had a bill of sale made up with model#, serial number, numbers of hours on meter, and
     cost. As you can guess you do not get a title with construction equipment or Ag equipment either.
4. I found a Construction Company in my town that charged me hours and the permits. As the blade is 11'6"
     wide, it is considered an Oversize load and needs a specific permit. MDOT tells you what route you can take
     to get home with the haul based on roads and most of all road construction. This has been my major problem
    in that the roads have had construction on them somewhere and the hauler cannot get on them with an
    oversized load.
5. The owner offered to load the tractor when the hauler comes in but only because its in his cattle field and
     he does not want to take a chance that the hauler lets any steers out. I will meet the hauler and help unload
     if necessary. The hauler is the Construction Company and he loads cranes, front end loaders and many
     dozers. No Allis Chalmers however and mostly Cat D8 and D9.
6. I was charged $900.00 for the 6 hour turnaround and $75.00 for the permit. If they had to take different route
     and more hours incurred the rate could have gone up to $1,500.00 easy.

Hope this helps you Ferdinand.

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 11:51am
Kind of hard for me to believe the hour meters on tractors that sound to good to be true. But things do happen and machines kind of get forgotten and just sit for years. In a crawler that can lead to problems with steering clutches rusting together and with tracks becoming stiff and not flexing,which all takes the same labor to fix as if warren out.

The type of soil a track is run in can make a vast differences in the amount of ware there is. But the internal ware not so much,metal can only rub together so many times before it wares to the limits. But that is why pins and bushing where sold to repair internal ware when pads and rails still had life left.

Good luck with your new toy. May you have hours of enjoyment as well gettting work done.    
Ferdinand View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 12:11pm
Thanks, jerbob for the in depth reply !
Yes, that is very helpful information. Thumbs Up
Because narrow is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leads unto life, and few there be that find it.
Ferdinand View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

Kind of hard for me to believe the hour meters on tractors that sound to good to be true. But things do happen and machines kind of get forgotten and just sit for years. In a crawler that can lead to problems with steering clutches rusting together and with tracks becoming stiff and not flexing,which all takes the same labor to fix as if warren out.

The type of soil a track is run in can make a vast differences in the amount of ware there is. But the internal ware not so much,metal can only rub together so many times before it wares to the limits. But that is why pins and bushing where sold to repair internal ware when pads and rails still had life left.

Good luck with your new toy. May you have hours of enjoyment as well gettting work done.    

One of the UAC forum members , I think it's rickyv57, he acquired a very nice HD19 with 1900 hrs and a great looking HD6 with 900 hours. I'd say those finds were the exception but, you never know what might still be out there.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 1:30pm
I hear what your saying for sure. I was surprised at the hours as this is a 1961 machine. Running and working just pushing around cow manure and soft loam. I was pleased a the extent of material on the track grousers as well.

I got it more to play with and restore cosmetically and not going to be working it very hard. Not to say Im not going to push some stumps around and clean out some hedge rows but nothing very extreme.

I am a graduate of the University of "If its too good to be true likely its not".
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 1:31pm
Thank you again.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 4:55pm
As a backup on the hours check how floppy the control levers are'

Our FA 10 showed around 3600 hours on the tach - which is cable driven so could be disconnected.

Transmission selector lever shows freeplay and over-travel wear.

But it did have Fiat track chains on it that hadn't been turned

If it only had 3600 hours they must have been pretty rough by the scars on various pieces of the machine.

Sort of where on the one hand you'd like it to detail what's happened but on the other probably better to speculate

Edited by Ian Beale - 14 Aug 2017 at 4:57pm
Wawill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 7:03pm
Just a thought but I would try and see if you can get a hold of the original owner he should be able to tell you how many hours he would of roughly done and if he had any trouble with it you might get lucky with some photos of it working in the early days
dustydoo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 7:13pm
I purchased an HD6B several years ago that had around 2000 hours on the meter ! Machine has been repainted ,and grousers were built up higher . I new nothing about dozers when I bought it but was told to check for pin wear which in my opinion my machine has none . I can feel no wear at any point on the track pins !
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 8:14pm
What you checked was bushing facial wear, pin wear is internal to the pin/bushing assembly and is checked by measuring the length of the rail sections. Easiest by measuring from the leading edge of one pin, count five total pins from there and measure to that leading face, divide that by FOUR as you measured across four links will give you the wear from pi to bushing against new dimension.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 8:41pm
Thank you guys. When I get her home, I will take pics to share. At this point The deal is done and I will sort it out when I have her home and cleaned up.

Great thoughts and ideas from all of you. Great idea on calling original. Great plan.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 8:15am
hello Wawill

Found the original owner of the 16 i purchased. His name was on the books i was given by the person I both the unit from. He was thrilled I reached out to him. It appears that the 3200 hours is accurate and most of those hours he put on the machine in the early 60's. He was a sub contractor on the I-94 Michigan construction project in 61. After he was done on that project it sat in his lean to for several years not moving but being turned over and charged.

He sold it to the next owner that had a use for it for about 3 months clearing food plots on his farm. This guy I also talked to and he said wonderful machine but his eyes were bigger than his stomach and he just didn't need it after a few years of it sitting under a tarp.

Owner I just got it from has had it for 3 years an put about 100 or 200 hours on it and he also just cannot use it. He has 2 other smaller dozers. A D4 and a smaller TD unit.

Early indications is that what I am looking at is a low hours machine that was taken care of mechanically if not cosmetically. Looking forward to cleaning her up and showing her off.
Wawill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 6:22pm
Always interesting to hear what the past history is of a machine and the projects they worked on looking forward to some pictures and your lucky to get such a low hour dozer it makes you wonder if 3500 hours whether it has paid for its self yet
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 10:43am
That's  neat hearing from the original owner .I knew quite a few men who bought allis dozers new in the late 50s to mid 60s but there all dead and gone . my dad bought his first insly dragline new in 1958 he was 34 years old then  now he would be 93
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 1:43pm
Local Quarry operator Mertens used Allis for years, used Cooke Eq.in Fulton MO for supply. He has passed but the quarry he had are still operating. One in Danville, one in Kingdom City or Auxvasse and one in Reform MO. I suppose he had others at one time, made his big money on the highways system.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 9:47pm
My 1955 HD5G has a tag on the back that was from local cat dealer - dated 1960 when it was put up for sale by them - I bought it in fall of 1972 from a guy about 3 miles down the road or 1 1/2 miles as the crow flies - and that is how I got it home - drove it cross country and on the way home backfilled a basement for a neighbor  -my first job with it . 
 Guy I bought it from has it for 4 years and used it to plow his driveway that was about 1/2 mile long .. No as i have had it for 45 years there is some history also .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 4:12pm
That is a great story. I Enjoy digging into the history of old equipment. And also hearing the history of others.

Thank you
borntworide View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borntworide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 6:57pm
@Coke-in-MN
That is awesome 45 years owning that machine you have any pictures??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic