This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1920 Deutz Allis wont handle a load

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1920 Deutz Allis wont handle a load
    Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 5:42pm
Got a 1920 Deutz Allis with the 20 hp Kholer and just put a new fuel pump on it and now when I hit the electric clutch it engages;; cuts for a bit then boggs down and black smoke comes out of the exhaust,, any answers for this one ?
Sponsored Links

AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 7:30pm
Black smoke is an indicator that its too rich. Turn the mix screw in a bit until she runs smooth at 3/4-full throttle. New pump may also be over loading the float.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
rustydollar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 11:35pm
Needle valve in carburetor is worn and can not handle the fuel pressure from the new pump. The engine is flooding from the excess fuel.

Rebuild the carburetor and your problems solved.

I got $20.00 on this.

Edited by rustydollar - 13 Aug 2017 at 11:37pm
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 8:06am
Originally posted by rustydollar rustydollar wrote:

Needle valve in carburetor is worn and can not handle the fuel pressure from the new pump. The engine is flooding from the excess fuel.

Rebuild the carburetor and your problems solved.

I got $20.00 on this.
I use all the BTDT I can read. Thanks Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 6:42am
Update took the carb off soaked it in cleaner, took the needle valve out; I guess that's what it was, had a conderser type thing with a 22 gauge wire bolted on top with a hold down ; blew it out reassembled and works 80% better, still stumbles a little in tall grass but not bad , how does the conderser type thing work on the needle valve, whats the purpose of electric going to it ?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 10:49am
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

Update took the carb off soaked it in cleaner, took the needle valve out; I guess that's what it was, had a conderser type thing with a 22 gauge wire bolted on top with a hold down ; blew it out reassembled and works 80% better, still stumbles a little in tall grass but not bad , how does the conderser type thing work on the needle valve, whats the purpose of electric going to it ?

DougG with out a picture it's hard to say, and I don;t have an Allis handy so my answer is generic.

A wire leading to the carburetor from my experience could be used for one of two purposes, electric choke or  fuel shut off solenoid.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 11:17am
Ha ha, I sure got that wrong on the wire leading to the carburetor, your Kohler engine is equipped with an anti after fire solenoid. Don't ask me as this concept  is totally foreign to me.

Scroll down the page, this fellow gives detailed instructions,
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/kohler_walbro_lmk_carb.asp

When the engine is shut down the spark is disabled and the engine coasts to a stop. While the engine is coasting, fuel is still being drawn in from the carb, and the unburned fuel continues out to the hot muffler where it may explode loudly. The anti-afterfire solenoid (#4) stops fuel flow into the engine as soon as the keyswitch is turned off. The plunger or pintle is extended by a spring and retracts when supplied with 12 volts positive at the wire terminal and the casing is grounded.

Edited by rustydollar - 21 Aug 2017 at 11:19am
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 11:23am
That's it,, hhhmmmm, every time I shut it down it back fires a second later that must be leaking a bit ! Never thought of an electric fuel shut off on a mower

Edited by DougG - 21 Aug 2017 at 11:25am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 12:34pm

That's it,, hhhmmmm, every time I shut it down it back fires a second later that must be leaking a bit ! Never thought of an electric fuel shut off on a mower

I personally think the anti after fire is causing the backfire.

With out the anti after fire installed raw fuel would continue through the carburetor into the exhaust but in my mind would actually cool the hot spots down.

With the anti after fire installed fuel is cut off immediately but some fuel from the carburetor will still pass but leaned out with a good addition of oxygen to which the exiting fuel mixture is more explosive causing the engine to backfire rather than prevent it.

Information from a couple of other sites disusing problems related to the anti after fire solenoid say that it sometime prevents the engine from starting and or prolonged starting times.

The recommended cure is to snip the end of the plunger off then disconnect the electric wire.

eslickl View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eslickl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 4:52pm
with my deutz allis 1920, with the same symptoms, I looked up the governor adjustment in case someone had messed with it, set it to specs. Then I threw away the Walbro (JUNK) carb aqnd bought a new carb on amazon for the engine application. Well to my delight all those symptoms are gone and it has more power now than it ever did.

If I had another 1920, the first thing I,d do throw that carb so far you could not find it. BTW: mine is a Magnum engine.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by eslickl eslickl wrote:

with my deutz allis 1920, with the same symptoms, I looked up the governor adjustment in case someone had messed with it, set it to specs. Then I threw away the Walbro (JUNK) carb aqnd bought a new carb on amazon for the engine application. Well to my delight all those symptoms are gone and it has more power now than it ever did.

If I had another 1920, the first thing I,d do throw that carb so far you could not find it. BTW: mine is a Magnum engine.

I like your cure better.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 6:38pm
Seems like the governor on mine wasn't working perfect neither, Id like some more info on that different carb from the company on Amazon, mine a 20 horse Magnum too, I luv the lawn tractor it cuts great and very easy to operate,, beer cooler goes empty tho on grass cutting time !
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 7:10pm

Seems like the governor on mine wasn't working perfect neither, Id like some more info on that different carb from the company on Amazon, mine a 20 horse Magnum too, I luv the lawn tractor it cuts great and very easy to operate,, beer cooler goes empty tho on grass cutting time !

I think this is what your looking for on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/accexpert-Replacement-Carburetor-Kohler-Magnum/dp/B01N3NVSHE

Edited by rustydollar - 22 Aug 2017 at 7:11pm
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 3:12am
Ahhhhhh Haaaaaaaa, ok thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic