This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hd5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hd5
    Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 10:50am
what are the pros an cons of an HD5. Thanks
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 12:32pm
I have not owned an HD5 but I would say the Detroit engines are a plus as parts are easy to come by.  The later allis engines are not.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
wayneIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayneIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 12:40am
In my opinion, it is big enough to do most jobs along with small enough to move without a semi (my loader crawler weighs 17000).  If it is a loader crawler, I've heard that the truck frames can get bent from lifting and pushing.  Downside is that the truck wheels are an odd size, but you can buy new ones or adapt others to fit.  Some parts are maybe a little hard to locate, but usually you can find what you need or make it.  The advantage of a 5 over a 6 is that the 6 used the same drive train for the finals and undercarriage (undercarriage was 1 roller longer though), but supposedly had issues with the final drives holding up if worked hard with the added horsepower.  There were some 5's I've heard of that companies put 3-71 Detroit engines in instead of the stock 2-71.  If the 6 final issues are true, they probably had similar issues then.

Edited by wayneIA - 02 Aug 2017 at 12:42am
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 6:35am
If you are asking about an HD5G you need to get one with a counterweight on the back. It is easy to stand the 5G on its nose with a full bucket load even with the counterweight. The HD6G is balanced better. I put full grousers on the HD5G that I had because I was using it to dig. It had enough power to do what I was doing. It is easy to damage the loader on the 5G and early 6G's. If I was buying another track loader I would look for an HD6G with the 3rd design loader and wet clutches. The HD5 is a fine machine but you did not say what you are expecting to do with it.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 8:48am
buying my first HD5G in 1972 and still owning it can say it's a good little machine that will do a lot of work - have problems now finding track and undercarriage parts - other parts for machine are around . 
 2-71 engine worked good for the machine / 3-71 engines were used in conversion for field work in ag use.
 Loader uses low pressure high volume - a 1 yard bucket and yes without counter weight the machine will transfer load to front idler wheel and bend axle - timken roller bearings were used throughout undercarriage rather than bushings and they run in oil - 
 Weak spots seem to be upper bearing of final drive outboard side - have seen several machines with that part of case cracked when bearing failed . 
 Old ans slow but with a good operator it will do a days work yet . Reach of the loader is low so loading a newer truck is difficult - need a hole or a ramp to get over sides of modern boxes on larger capacity dump trucks or with side boards.
 Now have had 3 HD5G and 1 HD5B machines - down to just a 5G now and a FD5 Dozer
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
borntworide View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borntworide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Dozer Dozer wrote:

If you are asking about an HD5G you need to get one with a counterweight on the back. It is easy to stand the 5G on its nose with a full bucket load even with the counterweight. .

Back when i my AC HD5 was giving to me  I learned the hard way with a nice full heavy bucket load of dirt backing out of hole the machine  slowly started tilting ,then it started moving  fast ,through me on to the levers it saved my butt!
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 8:09pm
Certainly would need the counter weight. I've picked up logs that would mash the front end right into the ground. So I would get under it and run a D-4 up on the tongue. That held her down, and could pick it up at an idle. Backed the truck under the log and you had her whipped.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 6:02am
After removing that MASSIVE MP bucket and returning to a GP on my 7G the counterweight actually does some good, not having issues with nose heavy now even with heaped buckets.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 8:46am
Direction of travel when loaded - height of carry - and speed all make for safe operation of a machine - sometimes it's not how much a heaped bucket can hold but what a machine can move safely . When I had the HD4 loader it was faster moving than the HD5G but for brute force the 5 outworked the 4 , in light material it was fine but as no counterweight when loading trucks or ? one had to be careful or forward tip could be a immediate scare . 
  Then the 715B TLB would out-load both in most materials and for other jobs was faster also - every machines has the intended purpose of operation and range of use - pushing beyond that creates danger to the operator 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 11:22am
"very machines has the intended purpose of operation and range of use - pushing beyond that creates danger to the operator"
  Really kind of a fact there. Sort of like yesterday, neighbor asked if I could come and remove his old outdoor wood burner stove and set his newer stove in its place. Sure I said... I had my little 610 Bobcat on the trailer and thought I would just take it down and try that. Put the forks under it and yea, came to the end of its hydraulic lifting capacity without budging the stove. Loaded the bobcat up and came home. Fired up the 974 Bobcat and went back. Picked up the stove without a struggle and carried it out, and took the newer stove in hanging from the forks and set it in place.  But now since this machine was so much bigger than the little bobcat, he has wheel depressions in his yard.  A medium sized bobcat would have been better there, but a fellow uses what he has. 
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by JC(WI) JC(WI) wrote:

"very machines has the intended purpose of operation and range of use - pushing beyond that creates danger to the operator"
  Really kind of a fact there. Sort of like yesterday, neighbor asked if I could come and remove his old outdoor wood burner stove and set his newer stove in its place. Sure I said... I had my little 610 Bobcat on the trailer and thought I would just take it down and try that. Put the forks under it and yea, came to the end of its hydraulic lifting capacity without budging the stove. Loaded the bobcat up and came home. Fired up the 974 Bobcat and went back. Picked up the stove without a struggle and carried it out, and took the newer stove in hanging from the forks and set it in place.  But now since this machine was so much bigger than the little bobcat, he has wheel depressions in his yard.  A medium sized bobcat would have been better there, but a fellow uses what he has. 

Saw your bobcat comment. I have an 863F turbo. Love it. 78Hp and can lift 2k pounds. Not fast as it does not have two speed but fast enough for me. would love a 900 series. Not sure the model but almost bought the one that had 100hp and 3,000 pounds of lift I move a lot of dirt and stumps and that would help. HOWEVER, now that i have my hd16, i am not worried of busting out stumps in the fence row.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic