This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finding model number for older Allis engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brucednelson1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finding model number for older Allis engine
    Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 11:58am
I'm buying a used generator that has an A-C engine and can't seem to find the engine stamp or plate to give me the model number for it.  I'm trying to determine if I can still get oil filters and fuel filters for it.  My guess is that it was made in the 1970's or possibly early '80's.  Does anyone know where exactly to find the engine plate?  Or possibly how to determine the engine model from the number stamped on the manifold--4390111?  See the attached pictures.  Also, do you know from experience that once I find the model number that I can still get filters for older engines?  Last, does anyone know of a forum or source of generator records whereby using the serial number of the alternator on the unit we could track down the model number?  Bruce

Edited by brucednelson1 - 11 Jul 2017 at 1:32pm
Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 12:57pm
side pictures would help.It's at least a 516 but might be the 844
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 1:09pm
Yor motor should be a 844--25000 and the identification plate is on left side motor near the tube oil filler
brucednelson1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brucednelson1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 1:33pm
Thanks for your help with this.  I've now included a side shot that might help decide on the model.  Either way, regardless of the model, I should be able to get filters for it, correct?  Do you have a good source for those?
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brucednelson1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 1:37pm
I noticed also on the manifold there are some raised numbers that are a little blurry, but looks like 12 24 67.  Would that be the date of manufacture?
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by brucednelson1 brucednelson1 wrote:

I noticed also on the manifold there are some raised numbers that are a little blurry, but looks like 12 24 67.  Would that be the date of manufacture?

If those numbers are cast into the intake manifold they are most likely the foundry casting date when the manifold was cast.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brucednelson1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 5:18pm
That makes sense.  Thanks for your input.
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by gemdozer gemdozer wrote:

Yor motor should be a 844--25000 and the identification plate is on left side motor near the tube oil filler

You can see see the option data plate just under and to the left of the engine oil filler elbow. That plate will show the engine and optional equipment that was ordered for that particular build.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brucednelson1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 12:25pm
The engine I've been asking about seems to be a model 25000 based on this group's input and my comparing pictures from other 25000 engines with this one--identical.  I needed to know the model to see if a possible buyer of the unit in Canada can find filters for it, which it looks like he can.  But now I'm not hearing back from him and I'm stuck with an older generator with this engine without a buyer for it.  I'd hate to just scrap it if there is some value to at least the engine.  The generator comes out of a power plant that is being demolished but was very well maintained and serviced.  My guess is that it has around 1,000 to 2,000 hours on it since it was only used when the power went out, and to exercise it for an hour a month.  Any ideas?  I'd like to get a couple of thousand for it if possible.  Is that reasonable?
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 8:54pm
If I had two grand to spare right now, I'd be all over it for that price. I really don't think that you're stuck with a dead horse. Try listing it in the classifieds of this forum, and I think you'll be able to get rid of it. Darrel
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 10:12pm
Looking at where the turbo is mounted, you have a water cooled exhaust manifold on it. AC didn't build very many with that option.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 6:23am
May consider calling some of the larger marine service shops if they have a market as well, with the water cooled exhaust would fit their needs.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brucednelson1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 8:44am
Thanks for the recommendation.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic