This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power shift wheels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power shift wheels
    Posted: 06 May 2017 at 11:18pm
On the wheels on my WD, there is one stop on one rail each. How many are there supposed to be?

It looks like there are several holes in the two opposing rails.

The reason I ask is because today, while plowing, the left wheel shifted all the way out on its own. The one stop was on the wrong side, so the wheel was able to shift all the way out. I shifted the wheel back in, and moved the stop to the other side of the eccentric bracket. I would think there should be two stops per wheel?

Are the eccentrics supposed to hold the wheels on their own, or are the stops the primary holding device?

Some stuff you never really look into, until there is a problem...

Thanks in advance.
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
Sponsored Links

DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 12:10am
2 stops per wheel and the eccentrics are not made to keep the wheels from spinning inn or out. They just keep the wheel centers tight with the rims.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 4:35am
Originally posted by DennisA (IL) DennisA (IL) wrote:

2 stops per wheel and the eccentrics are not made to keep the wheels from spinning inn or out. They just keep the wheel centers tight with the rims.

x2.  my d14 has one stop on the right side and 2 on the left?  I have a couple of rusted out rims, hopefully there's another good stop on one of them..lol. my 1 wheel was adjusted all the way in, the other all the way out.  took a lot of heat and a 4ft bar to get the bolts loose!!!  maybe the rust is supposed to keep them in place!!LOL 

edit, after looking at the photo again I see the problem, your wheel is to nice and shiny, poor some calcuim on it and let it set outside fer awhile, that rim will never move again.LOL  oh, that's a joke.  need some pics of the rest of the machine..

Edited by dt1050 - 07 May 2017 at 4:39am
Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 5:38am
Really only needs 2 on the left wheel, as the tires are directionally oriented, you never get enough push, to move the right wheel, when in reverse, unless the clamps are loose...
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 6:01pm
I use 2 per....when all in or out the extra goes in toolbox.Could get by with one if on the load side of rail but in tough times doing other things you will slip that wheel without the second stop.
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 6:22pm
I have the wheels all the way out, but put the extra retainer in the next open slot, (toolbox bottom is rusted out).  this way I know were it is.lol
Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by DennisA (IL) DennisA (IL) wrote:

X3, BUT the eccentrics SHOULD be enough to hold the wheels from spinning.  After all these years, they are probably worn down and not gripping like they should.  New ones are available from the vendors on here.  Go to; [Parts Etc.] and take a look around...
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
wiplowboy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiplowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 9:53pm
I think I may have some extra ones. If you want two more let me know. Talked to Merle this evening also. Have a good evening.

Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 10:28pm
Some of the replacement wheels will only take one unless you redrill the rail. I am in that situation now with titan wheels. 2 were on each side from factory.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic