This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

917 mower belts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 917 mower belts
    Posted: 06 May 2017 at 5:19pm
Great mower but the Gates pto belts and deck belts just don't last. Even bought the green ones which are not suppose to stretch. Pto belt maybe 2 a summer, deck belt every other year. Bought belts at TSC, kevlar Husky belts 2 years ago and they are doing great. Plus they are less expensive. Pto belt was $17.99 vs $28.00. Very happy and thought I would share the info. I mow about an acre each week.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Sponsored Links

Toscani NE SD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toscani NE SD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 9:09pm
why not get original simplicity, and never have to replace it, I do not believe in non oe belts, and I don't have to replace them either.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 8:55pm
OE belts are good too, But they give out as well. Dealers make you over pay. Just don't want to pay 3 times the price when I feel I have found a good solution so far.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
fynney1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fynney1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 9:22am
My PTO (to deck) belt keeps jumping off 
 a. under heavy load, or
 b.  if the PTO is disengaged too rapidly.  

Do I have a tension problem?  Is there a guide out of adjustment?  And, since it jumps to the inside, it gets significantly wedged under the horizontal flange (on top) and above the "U" assembly below.  Getting it out is tough; I ended up cutting it off the last time, and starting over with a new belt.

Applied Wisdom and experience are most welcome!

AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 8:06pm
The adjustment for the pto belt is on the tensioner of the idler pulley handle that you access from the rear of the tractor. Tighten the nut to put more tension on the spring. I believe the book says a half inch deflection is correct. If its too loose i would say that's your problem. The belt runs normally against the inside edge of the pulley on mine. I have no issues with it jumping off. I always engage and disengage it fairly slowly to avoid any belt damage.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic