This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gleaner's Future: Will the Brand make it's 100th ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gleaner's Future: Will the Brand make it's 100th ?
    Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 6:10pm

Now with Kevin Bien sadly no longer with us, I wonder how much longer the Gleaner combine brand will be around? I know they seem to have a good guy in place right now at AGCO that took over for Kevin, but I am not sure weather Gleaner will make it to it's 100th anniversary or not.

Used to be A LOT of Gleaner combines around our area, L2's, F2's, K2's F's, K's, and "G's, a few C2's and A's. The N series were not that popular in our area. There seemed to be a few R2 series Gleaner's around. R42's and R52's seemed to be the popular sized Gleaner's with a few R62's around. I have seen a few R5 series Gleaner's and a few S series Gleaners, but 90% of the farmers up here are either DEERE or Case IH. Personally think the Gleaner is the better combine out of the other two brands, but no one gives them a chance and everyone goes Red or Green. Don't think AGCO really cares what happens to the Brand, and it's pretty much in a bad spot with in AGCO Corp.

So do you think the Gleaner Brand will be phased out within the next 5 years? Repainted MF Red, and sold as a MF in North America? Or perhaps we will see a Class 9 Transverse Rotary Gleaner in the future, etc.. S99?

I like the Gleaner combine brand, but I think the writing is on the wall, and I really hate saying that.
Sponsored Links

DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 7:02pm
Well no one has a crystal ball, but I'm sure leaner will make it to It's 100th anniversary. As for the long Jevity of Gleaners it's up to Agco to keep up The innovation and marketing. Gleaner combines had a huge market share under Allis Chalmers. After Deutz took over market shares plummeted.
It's up to Agco and Gleaner owners to get Deere and Case owners to make the switch by making the best equipment possible and with great testimonies.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Daehler View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daehler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 7:12pm
Kevin was the only one who pushed the brand. Without anyone pushing the brand like he did it will surely fail with the poor exectutives of the company. I suspect they will paint them red and stick massey on them like they do everything else.
Its a shame to watch them put a Fendt cab with all the newer more complex electronic screens and controls. What they had worked good for many years. Plus the comebines are barely silver anymore, they are grey like its future. A Gleaner should be galvanised even if its painted silver over it. Long live the silver fleet.
8070FWA,7080 BlackBelly, 7045,2 200s,D19,D17,G, WD,45,UC,7 AC mowers and lots more!
"IT TAKES 3 JD's TO OUT DO AN ALLIS, 2 TO MATCH IT IN THE FIELD AND 1 FOR PARTS!"
JasonB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 7:21pm
Aren't they selling the Gleaner combine in China painted RED and under Massey Ferguson already? Thought I saw a picture of a Red Gleaner somewhere.
Gleaner was a popular combine when Allis Chalmers owned them, especially up my way, everyone loved the conventional Gleaners.

AGCO and Gleaner should not have dropped the R55 Gleaner that came out in 2003, at least in my opinion. Local dealer sold a few R55 Class 5 Gleaner's and it was the perfect sized combine for our area, then they dropped the R55, and then CIH and Deere once again took over the class 5 market with combines, but that's AGCO's fault. Id like to see Gleaner reach it's 100th and beyond myself.
JarrodACFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JarrodACFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 7:43pm
I think Gleaner will definitely make 100, probably more. Yes, Kevin definitely was the driving force behind the brand, and I think his hard work has made enough of a difference that Gleaner is fairly safe. They definitely haven't been pushing the Challenger combines any at all, and yes they do make them still. Any of their promotions, they mentioned Gleaner and Massey. Don't forget that Mr. Schleder (took Kevin's place) is marketing manager for all AGCO combines in the US, not just Gleaner. He is promoting the Gleaner WAY more than the others. I went to the Hesston plant on Google maps and counted the colors of combines out on their lot. There were 68 Gleaners, 36 Masseys, and 8 Challengers. They would be mentally unstable to get rid of the Gleaner. I may get shot for this, but I would buy the Gleaner transverse rotor in whatever color they make 'em in if it comes to that.
1956 WD45 Narrow Front Factory Power Steering, 1953 WD Wide Front
Allis Express in Muncie, IN
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 8:40pm
Nothing is impossible.   They were dumb enough drop orange tractors in the US.   Someone has a hard on for the MF paint and stickers.

Edited by victoryallis - 04 Feb 2017 at 8:41pm
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 10:01pm
Gleaner L IV's were made in Mexico years ago. Cuba is reproducing the mighty AC G. And now, China has bought 100 or so Gleaner S series combines. Hmmmm.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by victoryallis victoryallis wrote:

Nothing is impossible.   They were dumb enough drop orange tractors in the US.   Someone has a hard on for the MF paint and stickers.

Education doesn't make you smart, it makes you educated.
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by JarrodACFan JarrodACFan wrote:

I think Gleaner will definitely make 100, probably more. Yes, Kevin definitely was the driving force behind the brand, and I think his hard work has made enough of a difference that Gleaner is fairly safe. They definitely haven't been pushing the Challenger combines any at all, and yes they do make them still. Any of their promotions, they mentioned Gleaner and Massey. Don't forget that Mr. Schleder (took Kevin's place) is marketing manager for all AGCO combines in the US, not just Gleaner. He is promoting the Gleaner WAY more than the others. I went to the Hesston plant on Google maps and counted the colors of combines out on their lot. There were 68 Gleaners, 36 Masseys, and 8 Challengers. They would be mentally unstable to get rid of the Gleaner. I may get shot for this, but I would buy the Gleaner transverse rotor in whatever color they make 'em in if it comes to that.

I would say that would be a pretty good indication on the numbers they sell. Compared to the others. But remember you have a company that owns Gleaner like a 4th cousin at a reunion.
Education doesn't make you smart, it makes you educated.
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 12:49am
when will the 100th year be?
JasonB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 8:33am
Originally posted by shameless (ne) shameless (ne) wrote:

when will the 100th year be?

2023 will be the 100th anniversary of Gleaner. 2018 will be the 95th Anniversary of the brand. Will be interesting to see if Gleaner does anything next year for the 95th anniversary.   
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 8:51am
Gleaner started dying when the N series came out.  That is when the reputation started dying.  The Ns were moderate on innovation, but built way too light for the serious acreage farmer.  The custom folks jumped off the Gleaner ship in droves after just a few years of Gleaner repairs.  Then the Deutz debacle, then AGCO, and now more AGCO Massey.   Just like the days of Oliver, Hart Parr, Oil Pull, Rumley and the likes.  Allis and Gleaner innovations will live on in other's products, but the brands are either dead, e.g. Allis, or dying i.e. Gleaner  I am happy I can still buy parts for my old girls.  When was the last time you could buy a new Rumley part from Allis?
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Orange Blood Orange Blood wrote:

When was the last time you could buy a new Rumley part from Allis?
Good point. 
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 11:30am
Originally posted by CrestonM CrestonM wrote:

Originally posted by Orange Blood Orange Blood wrote:

When was the last time you could buy a new Rumley part from Allis?

Good point. 

Some u guys should come up with a plan for OLD PARTs ,Go on Shark Tank and ask for money to do this ,Save The Old Tractor Parts from drying off . MR. Wonderful will give a QUICK Lesson how do u get a return .And why u would be broke in no time. .
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Just because you do not have the tools for job , it dose not make it a bad design.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 2:22pm
Gleaner is the majority production over mf... there is a new combine on the way - huge- rumors say it is a Claas clone.  The catch 22 on the Gleaner is the cost - stainless and chrome not found in competitors are the reason so much thru put can be had at such a low cost to run.  Add to that cost of scale... The gleaner is still  a chunk of cash to Agco. As stated the smaller R55 might be a bright spot for overseas sales as it is a hill side unit at no additional cost.   Agco has a super high tech plant in China,,,, do some creative thinking... 
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
JasonB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by tbran tbran wrote:

Gleaner is the majority production over mf... there is a new combine on the way - huge- rumors say it is a Claas clone.  The catch 22 on the Gleaner is the cost - stainless and chrome not found in competitors are the reason so much thru put can be had at such a low cost to run.  Add to that cost of scale... The gleaner is still  a chunk of cash to Agco. As stated the smaller R55 might be a bright spot for overseas sales as it is a hill side unit at no additional cost.   Agco has a super high tech plant in China,,,, do some creative thinking... 

Interesting rumor on a larger Gleaner combine! I guess if it's a Claas clone, that means it will have an axle Rotor in it, instead of the Transverse Rotor? I thought AGCO tried an Axle Rotor with the A65/A75/A85/ A66/A67/A86 Gleaners which were MF's painted Red, and that they never went over that well. If they had, would the A86 Gleaner still have been in production? The Stainless and Chrome would be very nice to see, but again if they are moving back to the Axle Rotor design, it's only fair to speculate that it's likely to see the Transverse Gleaner phased out entirely. Yes, I get that the Gleaner is a top seller at the Hesston plant, but AGCO has done some dumb decisions before, so I would not put it past them if they dropped the Transverse Rotary machine, went to a Gleaner axle machine again, and slowly paint them MF Red entirely. This will be interesting to see if true.
JarrodACFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JarrodACFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 7:01pm
Here is a story I have heard before, can't exactly remember where. When they came out with the A series Gleaners in the mid 2000's, the long term plan was to do away with the transverse rotor combine (R series) and have one AGCO combine painted 3 colors. They sold some of the axial Massey copies, but not as many as the transverse. Kevin talked AGCO into working to develop and improve the transverse machine, and the S series was born. I think if they were really in the mood to axe the transverse they would have done it when they had the chance earlier. Now, I am not saying that they never will, but the Super Series has been enough of a success that I think the S series is safe for a while yet.
1956 WD45 Narrow Front Factory Power Steering, 1953 WD Wide Front
Allis Express in Muncie, IN
LWMarsden View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LWMarsden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 9:38pm
Does anyone have names or contacts in the AGCO-Gleaner engineering group. I worked as a summer engineering intern at Independence in 1970. I am working on writing about the experiences and it would be useful to find some of the names of guys that worked there at the time. the summer followed two years on the harvest trail operating Gleaner G models. What a time!!
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by victoryallis victoryallis wrote:

Massey Ferguson red is better then the Fendt green they are pushing hard now.

For some reason Agco now wants to promote Fendt in  north America over all their heritage brands???
soggybottomboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soggybottomboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 12:06pm
Ran into a rep at the western farm show in Kansas city. His name was Todd Davis, and he was pretty knowlegeable, however you spell that. He works out of Hesston i think. Used to have his phone number buti can't find it at the moment.
soggybottomboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soggybottomboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 1:09pm
I would like to take this opportunity to put a plug in for Gleaner. When i was 14, my dad bought a gleaner a2. That was 1967. I spent a lot of hours in that combine. It had an allis built g230 cubic inch engine. That was an excellent engine. I remember having cold feet all day long because there was no heater in the cab. Then dad bought an F in about 1974, and an F2 in 1979 i think. The F2 had the diesel engine, and i could combine the best soybeans we could grow on 9 tenths of a gallon of fuel per acre. I don't think there is a combine on the market today that can even come close to that. In corn, fuel consumption was closer to 1.25 gal. per acre. We had problems with capacity in soybeans with the  rotaries. But today, we drive an S67, and i can say that Gleaner is so much better that it used to be. Our dealer took the wedge shape out of the feeder house for us, and that made a combine out of it, as far as soybeans goes. I don't know why it took them 25 years to figure that out. For it's size, a gleaner will out harvest anything out there. My son in law is a combine mechanic for Case IH. When i walk around the machines he works on,i am amazed at how big they are, it almost seems impractical anymore. The Fendt combine is a monstrosity too. I would hate to have to work on one. I think dealer preference and location, or lack of it might have something to do with the downturn also, but who knows really.

Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 9:16pm
"Back in the day" we had about 5 A-C dealers in this county.  2 more in the county to the west.  2 to the southwest.  2 to the north.  1 to the east.  Several in the county to the south.  My grandfather was an A-C dealer.  All of those dealers are gone now.  Farmers are going to buy where they can get service.  Asking farmers to drive 70 to 100 miles for parts and service is a non-starter in Central Illinois.  Case/IH and John Deere are what harvest this area now.  I've talked to AGCO reps at the Farm Progress Show.  The AGCO reps who actually talk to farmers seem to be aware of the situation but AGCO's higher ups don't seem to care.  I'm puzzled at the business plan that gives up whole, multi county sales territories to the competition.  But that's exactly what AGCO has done.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic