This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis 185 diesel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190xt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis 185 diesel
    Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 6:28pm
I don't post very often but know this is right place ask. I have a 185 diesel and want to know if it has enough pto hp to run a 8 ft pull type disc bine mower.i am just cutting Timothy grass hay. Thanks.
Sponsored Links

joe View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 6:56pm
Is it a Mo-Co, or no conditioner? I think it'd do fine either way. Wouldn't be a whole lot of extra power, but I think it'd do alright. Maybe someone else will chime in.
Hoss View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 7:05pm
I think it'll be fine. I've run a 9 foot moco with a gas D19 with no troubles.
I got both ends meetin in the middle but I can't seem to get em tied.
190xt View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190xt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 7:05pm
It would be disc mower conditioner.the mower I am looking at says 65 hp minimum I think it should be ok.the tractor is in good running condition.just never run a disc bine mower before.thanks
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 7:45pm
Does it have roll or flail conditioner? For timothy you really want the flails they wipe the oils off the grass and it will dry much faster. Rolls crush the stems and are really ment for crops with thick stems. Rolls also use a lot more power and are tricky to adjust. Back in the late 80s we had a mower conditioner with rolls. I now have a John Deere 930 moco with flails it pulls less power and the Timothy drys faster.
As to power yes a 185 will run the mower you are talking about. After my case 5240 transmission failed and I haven't had the funds to fix it. I used my serries 1 d17 for about 1.5 summers to run my JD 930 moco. It will pull that 12 foot moco through reasonably thick Timothy clover mix in second high. If it get into really tall corse hay it needs to be in 1 low because the d17 is too small for the 930 moco.
Now in fairness I did blow my motor last summer which I have mentioned on here before. I spun a main bearing but when we pulled the motor apart we discovered that before I started using the d17 5 years ago my brother has broken the motor free by dragging it and broken the oil rings and ring groves on 2 pistons and there was rust pitting on the bearing and in all 4 cylinders from sitting for about 15 years. So I don't believe the mower was at fault for the motor issues I am actually amazed it did all my haying for 4 years with all the damage in the motor to start with.

All of that said how fast you mow will have a big impact on how much power you need. My uncle pulled a 10 foot mower conditioner with rolls using a IH 986 100 hp. That tractor would pull the mower just as fast as he could sit in the seat he always went crazy fast. I was alway thinking he would break something but back then the fields where in better shape and alot smoother.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 7:46pm
Oh for reference my 930 moco is rated at 100 hp. I had to flip the gearbox to even get it to run on a 540 pto.
Steve Bright View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Bright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 7:48pm
Yes, It will work like a charm
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 7:53pm
It will, no problem.
190xt View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190xt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 7:57pm
The mower I am looking at is a new holland 408 with rollers.i didn't know there was that much difference between rollers & flail when cutting Timothy. thanks for all info
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 8:06pm
Your welcome the rolls will work if you keep them adjusted to the hay thickness but too big a gap they don't do anything too tight and they brake the leaves off. If the thickness of the hay changes more then I think 20% my uncle would adjust them when we baled hay. With the chopper it seemed to not matter the chopper would clean it all up because it came directly behind the mower no tedding or raking.
I really like the flails and when I get funds I will look at a NH or Kuhns to me it is all about spare parts cost. This JD 930 does a great job but when something brakes it is very expensive.   I figure the 930 has taken a full day off my drying in the same fields and hay from the older roll conditioner we used when I was a kid. We always had to let it sit over night 2 nights when I was a kid with the 930 I can mow one day about 9 or 10 am and bale the next day at about noon.

Edited by Dan73 - 21 Dec 2016 at 8:09pm
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 9:02pm
I mow with a 190xt and a 9 ft kuhn discbine with crimping roll. when i get into some rank late made orchard grass alfalfa mix you do know that there is a mower behind you. but once you get into some lush green later cuttings its smooth sailing all the way. You can mow with the discbine in 5th and 6th gear.
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 10:38pm
It Will have no problem handling it.
Dad and I pulled Heston PT10's with a 180 and a 185 for over 15 years on alfalfa / orchard grass mixture, 80 acres 3 times a year. The profile makes it really handy to get on and off.
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Dkienzle View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dkienzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 11:09pm
I run a 1411 New Holland mower conditioner with my 185 in 3rd gear high and it works very well.
kev/ont View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kev/ont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 6:39am
We run the 10ft new holland discbines with 185 tractors in some fairly aggressive hills with no issues at all.
BigBadAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBadAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 6:54am
As others have stated, you should be fine in most conditions.  There's always going to be tougher crops mixed with hills that will suck down the power.  Probably one of the most fuel efficient tractors for the job.
190xt View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190xt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 8:45am
Thanks to everyone for help I really appreciate it merry Christmas
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 4:26pm
The discbine will take quite a lot more power than a sickle bar mower conditioner, but the 185 will handle it fine.

If you happen to hit some ponding water with the discbine, it will about kill the tractor, so be ready on the hydraulics.
cottonpatch View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cottonpatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 11:52pm
I pull a NH 7220 discbine that has rollers with a 185. It's a 9'2" cut.   It does an excellent job, more than enough tractor for it. My local NH dealer sells three roller units to every flail unit. A brand new roller equipped unit is about $2500 more than a flail equipped unit.   Put a flail unit in hay with legumes and your protein and TDN will take a hit as the leaves are shattered.
'52 CA, '61 D10 II, ‘61 D15, '66 D15II, '63 D17D III, ‘69 170, '73 185 Crop Hustler, '79 185, '79 7000, '77 7040
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic