This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Photos of Gilbert Vust

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Photos of Gilbert Vust
    Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 12:01am
Gilberts passing will leave a large hole in the AC collecting world.  He taught me many many things about A-C equipment and put together an amazing museum for all of us to visit.  

As a tribute to him I would please ask everyone to post any pictures or videos they have of Gilbert.  He said many times he liked to see pictures of his equipment running because being the operator he never got to see it from the spectator's view.  

Dont even remember why I shot this one.

An open eye is much more observant than an open mouth
Sponsored Links

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 11:02am
I did not know gilbert but the loss of a Good AC man with his knowledge is not a good thing. prayers go out to his family and A.C. friends.
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 10:04pm
LonS emailed me a few.  Thanks Lon.

An open eye is much more observant than an open mouth
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 12:03am
Thanks so much for posting the pics.  I don't believe I have any of him unless he is in a crowd picture.  I only briefly spoke with him maybe 6 years ago at Hutch.  I think we were talking about a SP100 he knew of in Canada as I was interested in getting one at the time.  A very friendly fellow, I wish I would have spoken with his this time at Hutch.  So glad Creston got video this year.
I wonder if the family will be suggesting where to make a donation, for us below the 49th parallel, using a credit card would probably make the most sense.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 7:53am
Thanks for posting Jim.
Went to Rollag yesterday with Gary, Neil, and Terry. Was a great show and spent lots of time remembering Gilbert. 
The 1996 GOTO in Rollag was the first show I ever attended. This year the feature tractor was Moline , but I remember the show area filled with Moline. This year was overflowing with Allis. I remember the fuel cell tractor being there in the tent and many other rare pieces there also. I did not know anyone in the Allis collecting world then but thank them for promoting our passion. 
Gilbert was at the center of this great passion. Old Allis News and Orange Spectacular were very young as were other shows. The Rollag show was a huge step to promote and further the collecting passion. The tradition of a parade at a show is the feature tractor leads the parade. There were so many Allis tractors at the show that the Deere folks insisted that every other tractor in the parade needed to be a Deere. Just a story I heard.
The shows continued to grow in size and in 2004 Gilbert was at the center of the GOTO at his place. This summer I visited with Gilbert  while he was repairing a 40 combine, about his show in 2004. He said he selected 29 projects that were a must to be completed and displayed at the show. He said he completed 24 of them. At his show he demonstrated potato harvesting, Lubin baler operation and a line up of Gleaner combines I have never seen since. Hard work long hours and a passion that never died.  
Gilbert farmed and was involved in an Allis dealership. If you had a chance to talk with him, information and detail of Allis products flowed freely. I talked with him about my Number ten baler problem. He said " There is a pulley that gets painted at the factory and if you don't remove the paint it will grab the belt and break the drive sprocket".
Where do you find that information anymore. Thanks for all those conversations Gilbert.
You are missed.
BrettPhillips View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 9:36pm
Jim:
Many thanks for sharing these photos that stir my memories of the fine gentleman Gilbert Vust was. His presentations on the Rotobaler and All-Crop combines at Hutchinson were major highlights for me, and his words will not soon be forgotten.
Godspeed, sir.
TomMN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 10:42pm
I had the pleasure of visiting with Gilbert at his place on a couple of trips to Portage la Prairie.  He was an all around great person to spend time with.  These pictures are from 2009 when we combined with a 1930 Gleaner and a 1930 Curtis.

GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 7:31pm
I have not been around most of the summer, just happened to turn on the computer and saw that Gilbert had passed. My condolences on the loss of a great man....

From the 2006 Orange Spectacular

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
From listening comes wisdom and from speaking comes repentance.
Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 11:37pm
We Allis guys will sure miss Gilbert, a great guy for sure.
Is the self propelled baler the same one that was at Hutch this year?  Seems like I've seen it both times I was there.  Who is the proud owner?

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 7:20am
Great pic's.  Thanks for posting them.  I attended the GOTO at Portage la Prairie in 2004 and saw Gilbert at a number of other shows over the years.  Still remember his story about making a border patrol agent angry while crossing the border which resulted in Gilbert getting a closer look at the border every time he re-entered the U.S. in spite of being a natural born U.S. citizen.  And he loved Canada, too.  A good man with a passion and much knowledge.   My condolences to Nan and to Gilbert's family.
Dave Vust View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Vust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 4:31pm

While this isn't a picture of Gilbert, it is a photo I took a couple years back of the AC museum he built in Portage, MB Canada. His hobby now becomes a legacy.

I want to share a few personal thoughts about my uncle Gilbert - having grown up on the family farm in Portage. Vust Ltd Farms was a large successful diversified collection of land and farmyards spread out over the Portage area, and specifically north of Portage. Over the years Vust Ltd included with the grain farm - a construction company, an Allis Chalmers/Gleaner dealership, a dairy, a sheep ranch, and a potato farm which serviced both Carnation and McCain's... and there was always a good supply of Allis Chalmers tractors/implements, Gleaner combines and Dodge trucks around to facilitate the operation!
Although Gilbert and his brothers bought equipment, they were also constantly tinkering in the shop - servicing the equipment, modifying stuff that didn't quite do what was needed, and building that 'special' piece of machinery like the self-propelled augers made from old Gleaner combines and Sakundiak auger tubes. A testament to my grandfather, father and uncles' hard work, abilities and knowledge to be sure.

Most importantly however is the true legacy Gilbert leaves to us... that is his strong unwavering faith in God. I am truly blessed to have been surrounded by a family who have all played a large part in shaping my life with their Christian example, instruction and values - from my grandparents, parents, and uncles & aunts. Gilbert loved the Lord, and was not ashamed to let people know about it whenever the opportunity arose. Many will remember Gilbert as the host voice of the Bible Baptist Hour on Sunday night from the church in Portage over CFRY radio, and in recent years worldwide over the internet as well.

Thanks for allowing me to share a bit about Gilbert here.
Dave Vust nephew
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 5:20pm
Dave, I was honoured to have known your uncle Gilbert, visited with him several times in his shop and to have had a personal guided tour through the museum. Even being a fellow Canadian, I didn't convince him to come to visit here in Ontario although I do believe a trip east was in his future plans. I was privileged to have sat with him at the BBQ at the Orange Spectacular this year.  He will be greatly missed by all.

Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
A-C Bell View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-C Bell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 8:52pm
Dave Vust,
I had not entered the Forum recently and looked at some of the prior posts.  I wanted to go back and look at a specific post.
I never met you during the years of Gilbert's and my friendship, but he spoke of you often.   It was great to read what you said about him and the family overall.
You have many precious memories of him, his dedication and, as you say his deep faith.  It was such a part of his life and his approach to life.
I miss the almost daily phone calls and am sure I will for quite some time.  They ranged from faith, politics, tractors and a host of topics, but were always looked forward to.
Nan Jones
Tim NH View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 5:59pm
Picture was taken this year at Hutchinson.  Tim
1950 WD 1959 D14 1955 WD45 1976 7000 B 207
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic