This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What to buy or build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48ACWD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to buy or build
    Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 4:47pm
Just started pulling last year. My first tractor is a unstyled wc that I put together with a stock 201 motor. Fun at first pulling dead weight till I hooked to the transfer sled my first time and only went 97 feet. Over this past winter I put a wd45 together. It's wd45 diesel from rear to bellhousing then a stock gleaner E making all the power. It's an M code motor and I'm running 15 5 38'tires on the rear. Tractor does do pretty well for what it is but not well enough to place in my club. I just don't know what to do next. Everyone here pulls green, red, or moline's. I'm pretty much the only one that runs orange tractor consistently. So what's your thoughts?? I do have a John deere A I was planning on building am prepared for the cost only problem is finding a 6-1 power block. The John deere's dominate here so figured can't beet them join them. In the end it will be a lot of work and money building. And maybe buying something competitive is the answer I don't know. Looking for suggestions. Thanks
Sponsored Links

Zaddison View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 6:36pm
You would probably have less money in buying one already built. But if not I'd stick with the Allis I've pulled both a unstyled WC and unstyled A and the allis cost far less to compete in my opinion.

Edited by Zaddison - 13 Aug 2016 at 6:38pm
JM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 7:59pm
What class are you running?
MPH?
Weight?

I am trying to set up a wc and not sure what to do either.
I don't have enough hp to turn 15.5s.
Don't think I can compete with 28s.

I was thinking of a JD70, $$$ to build engine, but at least it has 38 inch wheels.

Do you run out of power or traction?
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 8:06pm
Green talk? ????? Y'all need counseling! Go get yur heads examined!!!!
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
48ACWD View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48ACWD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 8:17pm
Unless you got lots of horsepower, around here you can't compete even with a stock 226 d17 motor in 4500 and 5500 classes. Most of the classes that I run in are 3 to 3 1/2 mph depending on what tire you run either top cuts or road worn. I can't come close to any jd's they beat me every time
JM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 8:58pm
I have seen the same thing too.
Most AC run 4-4500 lb. 3 mph when ever one shows up, not often.
They seem stock with 15.5s and almost always are last or near last.
Ones with stock tire always last.
Now I know if you get up around 80hp and up they are very competitive.
I have pull stock class a couple times and get beat by JD Bs.
I have a 226 and 14.9+28 and they walk right past me going half as fast as I was.

Wish I would have tried a d19 now.
JM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 1:38pm
Green talk? ????? Y'all need counseling! Go get yur heads examined!!!!

It's what you call a "momentary lapse of reason" on my part
Honey B View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 7:58pm
I never seen a ALL stock tractor pull for such a small prize.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic