This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

716 6 speed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 716 6 speed
    Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 9:07pm
Pulled the crankcase vent and checked it against the drawing in the manual and it was assembled correctly and didn't seem to be plugged. The reed was  OK in it.
I then changed the oil and then went to mowing. Still a lot of oil coming out the fan end of the crankcase, so it looks like the seal is gone.  I don't know if the guy that rebuilt it replaced the seal or not. Anyway, it looks like a teardown is in order!  I'll have a look at the on-line manual to see how far I have to tear it down to replace that seal.
Sponsored Links

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 9:29pm
Thanks, I'll get at that and see what I find before I pull the engine. 
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 7:59pm
Crankcase vent is plugged Phil! Had that on my 716H. Took it apart, cleaned it out, no more oil issues.
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 2:32pm
We have a bunch or 716-6speeds
ACmowerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACmowerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 11:08am
Its common for the breather to be assembled incorrectly. It is directly behind the carburetor. You can download the manual for the Kohler engine from the www.kohlerengines.com website.
10 various B-series garden tractors, AC Homesteader8, 416 hydro,710 gt, 914, 916H, 917H, 920D, and many misc attachments
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 9:12am
Another question. I see many posts about the 716H  but not for the 716 6 Speed.  Are they very rare or just trouble free?Wink  It's a great tractor except for the oil problem.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 9:09am
I've been running 15-40 oil in it and with the amount leaking out it gets an oil change every time I'm done running it!!  Is there a crankcase vent that could be plugged? If so, where is it? 
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 6:30am
Um... change the oil ?
Sounds silly but after a rebuild I'd change oil and filter around the 25hr mark. I'm assuming SAE30 is used ,but I know that 5w30 WILL 'leak' out when hot......
neighbour used 'car engine oil' so xwyy ??, I cahnged to SAE30... problem solved..

he still runs over tree roots though....

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 10:12am
I have a 716 6 Speed that I bought at a friends sale last year. The engine was freshly rebuilt by a local small engine guy.  It runs fine and has about 25 hours on it now but has recently started blowing out a lot of oil. Seems to be the rear (fan end) crankshaft seal as it will be dripping all down the mower deck and blowing through the cooling fins to the front of the head.  It will blow out about 1/2 quart of oil in a couple hours running.
Are these Kohler engines prone to this?  How big a job is it to change out the seal? Is there a crankcase vent that could be plugged?  I'm not familiar with Kohler engines.  Love the old Briggs in my B1!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic