This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pics-Couldnt Let This R Gleaner Be Sold For Scrap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 180Puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pics-Couldnt Let This R Gleaner Be Sold For Scrap
    Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 10:33am

About 10 years ago I heard of a 1952 R Gleaner in the Collins,MO area...In 2012 I went and looked at it but the owner still used it to cut fescue every year so it wasn't for sale..It did its last harvest in 2015 as the owner passed away in Feb 2016..

The estate sale was on Saturday August 6th...I couldn't be there as early Thursday morning my wife had a heart attack and was life flighted to Joplin by helicopter....They got her there in time and she's doing much better....She got to go home Saturday noon..

I didn't want to see the R go for scrap so I had a friend bid for me.....He got it for about half of what I told him to bid..It runs but has been well used....The air intake screen is missing and the bottom of the header isn't very good..In 2010 I said I wasn't buying another combine but I had to save this one since it was so close...

I and my friend went and got it yesterday...We started to pull the header off but gave up....The former owners brother told us a way to get out of there without getting on a major hiway.....We were 15 ft wide....The roads are very curvy,hilly,and narrow in that area....It took us 60 miles to make it 45 miles home.....The first 40 miles went OK but on the last mile of that south of ElDorado Springs we met 7 cars .....I stopped at my friends place to load up some stuff that I bought from him..The last 20 miles went easier as I was in familiar country and there wasn't much traffic..Combines are much easier to haul home out of Kansas...Most of my 20 combines came from Kansas

Most of these pictures were taken in 2012 but the one with the R loaded was taken yesterday evening after getting home.....The 2nd picture shows the late owner in 2012..The 4th picture shows the flat head 226 Ford engine...Early model R and A Gleaner combines with the flat head Ford 6 are almost non existent..Does anyone on here have one or know of one?

The M-5 MM's sold for $1,075 and $1,090....If I had been there I'm afraid that the NF M-5 would have brought more money.....An H Farmall with loader sold for over $1,000 and a 33 Massey with like new 14.9x38's sold for $830....

Edited by 180Puller - 09 Aug 2016 at 10:39am
Sponsored Links

Sherman Farms View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherman Farms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 12:29pm
JOB WELL DONE!! ITS NICE THAT PEOPLE ARE SAVING COMBINES TOO.
B, C, RC, 3 wc,2 wd,3 wd45, d15, d17, d19, d21, 190, 440, 7040, 918 backhoe, 12 roto balers, 7 60 combines, 40, 66,2 72,90 super, sp100, Gleaner E, F3, 3 L2, R62, and much more
combinechris View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote combinechris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 1:17pm
Wish I could have gotten it. Lol . Would like to see more pictures of it as you restore it if you are going to.
35 combines and 15 forage harvesters. mostly allis combines and equipment.WTB 2 row cornhead for a 90
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 3:23pm
good job!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 3:44pm
Looks nice! You can never have too many combines! Lol!
I also would like to see more pics if you restore it. In particular, I'd like to see a pic of the raddle. I've only seen walker combines, never a raddle type, so that would be neat to see.
Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 8:28pm
Which auction company had the auction? Im not far from that neck of the woods and didn't see it advertised. Oh well. Glad you saved the combine! Hope your wife recovers.
Wdtractorman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wdtractorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 8:33pm
Nice save, i want a combine but iv got nothing to do with one. It also seams that our old combines are usally to far gone around here
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Wdtractorman Wdtractorman wrote:

Nice save, i want a combine but iv got nothing to do with one. It also seams that our old combines are usally to far gone around here
That's what everyone said about this one!

That was in 2007. I used it to cut this year. Blew a lot of people's minds! 
I can't get a pic of it now to upload because it's a .png and I can't upload it. 

Edit: Here's a video.
[TUBE]?v=el-Dh98uxWY[/TUBE]

Edited by CrestonM - 09 Aug 2016 at 9:08pm
Brian Ahart View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Ahart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 9:24pm
Blaine,

I'm glad your wife is doing ok.

Your Model R is a nice find.  The early SP units are few and far between these days.  Based on the condition, I'm guessing it was shedded for some portion of its life (especially with the red lettering still intact).  I noticed that it also has the optional lighting kit.  We still have dad's '52 A (SN 4074) with the Ford 226 that he bought from the original owner back in the early 1980's.

Dennis from NE has a '51 R with an 8xxx serial number.  As I recall, there was a SN break in 1952 in which Gleaner went from 8xxx down to 4xxx serial numbers.  At least that's my theory based on my 1951 and 1952 parts books.

I definitely need to schedule a visit down to SWMO to see your collection.  Thanks for posting.

A-C Weight ID reference and other goodies at brianahart.net
180Puller View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 180Puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 8:18am

Heres the best early R Gleaner I have ever ran across....It sold for some pretty good money in April 2014 at the Lahodny sale near Concordia,KS..I think the serial # is 51R 8218..Its now in Mt Hope,KS..

I'm kind of surprised that practically no one on here owns a Ford powered A or R Gleaner or knows of one...I think that I know of (6) of them...For some reason they are very scarce..

As for restoring my R Gleaner it probably won't happen any time soon with as much stuff as I have.....I would probably do my T Gleaner first since its much easier to haul..

For Adam the auctioneers were Bruce and Le'an from Fair Play,MO.....They didn't advertise the sale out very far.....I happened to see the sale bill while in Bolivar,MO and my friend knew about it..The wife is still doing pretty good..Tell your Mom and Dad hello..

Brian,thanks for the serial # and come down sometime..

Edited by 180Puller - 10 Aug 2016 at 8:20am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic