This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

All-Crop Tire Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All-Crop Tire Question
    Posted: 05 May 2010 at 6:57am
Originally posted by Don(MO) Don(MO) wrote:

The reel driven pulley has shims to change the speed, So the tire is not that big a deal. The 7.50 x 16" tire is just a little taller than the 6.50 x 16" on the header side. I have seen lots of old 60/66 combines with the bigger tire on the bin side, Just like the dull setup and two axles under them too, All where available from AC back in the day. lol
Here's Miller tires site He has them.
Don

Didnt realize that shim feature...See what I mean: The more ya know the more you realize what you dont know...

If my local tire guy dont have them, will contact miller. One reason I am anxious to get to the tire guy without waiting to go back home first to get the right size is I have a co-worker who wants me to get a used tire for a sandbox for the grandkids. I have a truck, she dont. Figured I would kill two birds with one stone..
Sponsored Links

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 6:38am
The reel driven pulley has shims to change the speed, So the tire is not that big a deal. The 7.50 x 16" tire is just a little taller than the 6.50 x 16" on the header side. I have seen lots of old 60/66 combines with the bigger tire on the bin side, Just like the dull setup and two axles under them too, All where available from AC back in the day. lol
Here's Miller tires site He has them.
Don
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by BrettPhillips BrettPhillips wrote:

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is that the tire size will affect the speed of the reel in relation to ground speed.  Smaller tires = faster reel speed.  Some will discount the difference as being minor, but I would prefer to have the reel bats moving just a bit faster than the grain in order to make sure it gets pushed up on the draper.  When I was rebuilding my All Crop 40, the correct size tires (5.00 x 16) were hard to find and spendy, so I went with throw-away spares that were very close to the right size.  I checked on 5.50 x 16 tires as well, but they were much larger in diameter than the 5.00's.  I will continue to ask for 5.00 x 16 implement tires for Christmas and Birthday presents, but for now I'm happy with the reel/ground speed ratio that the el cheapo spares give me.

Good Point Brett and something to consider...One thing that came to mind is the fact in the "old days" tire sizes were different than they are today...So I got to wonder if the
6.5x16 and 7.5x16 Don mentions is in keeping with the modern sizing scheme?
BrettPhillips View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 8:58pm
One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is that the tire size will affect the speed of the reel in relation to ground speed.  Smaller tires = faster reel speed.  Some will discount the difference as being minor, but I would prefer to have the reel bats moving just a bit faster than the grain in order to make sure it gets pushed up on the draper.  When I was rebuilding my All Crop 40, the correct size tires (5.00 x 16) were hard to find and spendy, so I went with throw-away spares that were very close to the right size.  I checked on 5.50 x 16 tires as well, but they were much larger in diameter than the 5.00's.  I will continue to ask for 5.00 x 16 implement tires for Christmas and Birthday presents, but for now I'm happy with the reel/ground speed ratio that the el cheapo spares give me.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 8:47pm
What does "SL" mean--"Slowly Leaking"?

Tom, maybe his tires came from the same manufacturer as Eldons. LOL
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Don(MO) Don(MO) wrote:

OK Tom I think I can give the the strate on the Bin side of my 66 big bin it has a 750 x 16" SL on the header side it has a 650x 16" They are both on AC wheels and look right and both tires are implement.
Don
Bingo! I figured somebody had to have this tire arrangement since I have run across it several times!  Good to have a "name" with the "face"... What does "SL" mean--"Slowly Leaking"?

Thanks Don...

Edited by TomYaz - 04 May 2010 at 8:42pm
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 7:43pm
OK Tom I think I can give the the strate on the Bin side of my 66 big bin it has a 750 x 16" SL on the header side it has a 650x 16" They are both on AC wheels and look right and both tires are implement.
Don
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Dave Richards (WV) Dave Richards (WV) wrote:

Tom,   The wheels were 6.00-16, ask your tire dealer what the options are.  That will give you a place to start.

Yeah I think I will bring tire/rim and all to a dealer and we will figure out the best tire...

Thanks anyway guys for the input.
Dave Richards (WV) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Richards (WV) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 4:33pm
Tom,   The wheels were 6.00-16, ask your tire dealer what the options are.  That will give you a place to start.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by FredW FredW wrote:

I have seen a couple with a larger size turf or knobby tire on the bin side, dont know what was on the header side. Fred

Well I think the best thing to do is just hold off till I can retreive one to get the specs...
FredW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 4:01pm
I have seen a couple with a larger size turf or knobby tire on the bin side, dont know what was on the header side. Fred
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Rfdeere Rfdeere wrote:

I would guess a 7.50-16 would probably fit Okay?

Perhaps... but maybe what I am looking for is a "flotation" version of the 6.5x16".
Would there be such a thing?...After looking at some of my literature I am pretty certatin that the OEM 6.5x16 is not what I am after
Rfdeere View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfdeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 3:31pm
  I would guess a 7.50-16 would probably fit Okay?
Randy Freshour,Member Indiana AC Partners,
http://www.rumelyallis.com
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Rfdeere Rfdeere wrote:

Tom, my 66 has 6.50 - 16" on both sides and I am pretty sure they are Original to the machine.

Once again, I understand that 6.50-16" are original to the machine. Thats not the question.  My question is of the two sizes I often see on the allcrops (even though there is only supposed to be one size) one is larger than the other.   I want the larger size--if it is 6.5-16"; thats wonderful; if not thats wonderfull too...And I need to know what size it is.  I prefer the larger tire for extra flotation.  I have noticed when this large
tire is on the grain tank size, there is very little distance between the tire and the tailings cleanout door...

Edited by TomYaz - 04 May 2010 at 3:31pm
Rfdeere View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfdeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 3:28pm
  Ya know, I see to remember somewhere that AC shipped alot of these with no tires. That may be why you see some with two different tires? The dealer or farmer probably just put on what they had available.

Edited by Rfdeere - 04 May 2010 at 3:29pm
Rfdeere View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfdeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 3:13pm
   Tom, my 66 has 6.50 - 16" on both sides and I am pretty sure they are Original to the machine.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Dave Richards (WV) Dave Richards (WV) wrote:

Tom, my all crop 60 book states 6.50 x 16 six ply on both sides.  States same tire for tandem attachment.  I guess from AC's point of view, if you needed more weight carrying capacity under the tank you could just put the tandem wheel on that side???  Two different wheels were available, F&H and M&W.  Both the same size.  The M&Ws had cut out slots on the disk like cars, the F&H had solid disks.  Quick way to tell if you don't want to lay under the machine with a flashlight and wire brush.  My 302 bailer has a larger tire on the left side. and it will bolt up to the All crop 60, Sooooo that may be the case.    Or not, I would more likely stick my hand in the WC radiator fan (again - dont ask)  than to assume to instruct Tom Yaz about combines!!!!!!   LoL  Dave

>>>Tom, my all crop 60 book states 6.50 x 16 six ply on both sides

Yes I understand that...Just that I often see two different sizes on the combines and I am trying to figure out which one is the 6.5x16--The "fat" one or the "skinnier" one..I want two "fat" ones...

>>>Two different wheels were available, F&H and M&W.
Have no idea what F&H and M&W means...

>>>My 302 bailer has a larger tire on the left side. and it will bolt up to the All crop 60,
This may be the tire size I am looking for---what size would that be??

>>>than to assume to instruct Tom Yaz about combines!!!!!!
Oh please! the more I know the more I realize I dont know....

Like I said if I could get to my barn before this weekend I could settle the issue lickety split.

Speaking of figuring things out; I hope to have a update on my rivet search tonight..

Dave Richards (WV) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Richards (WV) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 9:21am
Tom, my all crop 60 book states 6.50 x 16 six ply on both sides.  States same tire for tandem attachment.  I guess from AC's point of view, if you needed more weight carrying capacity under the tank you could just put the tandem wheel on that side???  Two different wheels were available, F&H and M&W.  Both the same size.  The M&Ws had cut out slots on the disk like cars, the F&H had solid disks.  Quick way to tell if you don't want to lay under the machine with a flashlight and wire brush.  My 302 bailer has a larger tire on the left side. and it will bolt up to the All crop 60, Sooooo that may be the case.    Or not, I would more likely stick my hand in the WC radiator fan (again - dont ask)  than to assume to instruct Tom Yaz about combines!!!!!!   LoL  Dave
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 7:23am
Folks,

Need to go to a local tire shop and get new tires for a rebuild.  Problem is I dont have
ready access to the old tires...Thats what happens win your equipment is 4.5 hours away. Anyway need to figure something out sizes from a distance. The 66 manual calls for 6.5x16 tires if memory serves.  However on many machines I have come across I see two sizes on the rims, usually the larger tire on the tank side.  these are AG tires, not
truck tires.  Need to know what size I am looking at when viewing the larger tire as this is the size I want...is it the 6.5x16 and the other is smaller or is this tire something bigger  than 6.5x16??  Anyone who has an All-Crop might have the same get up and I would like to get the right size for my tire purchase. I wish I was near my machines so I could possibly read the size.....bummer...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic