This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starting Problem AC-720 Onan CCKB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chief Cockeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting Problem AC-720 Onan CCKB
    Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 11:09am
I have a 19.5 hp ONAN CCKB engine on my Simplicity 4040 that came out of an AC-720.  It will not start if throttle is not fully retarded (at the carb).  It is hard to start and will die if given too much throttle.  In fact, on starting the throttle must be fully retarded and only advanced very slowly until the engine is warmed up to operating speed.  It cranks easily, but cranks forever before finally hitting and running (at a very low RPM).  Once up to operating temperature, it works normally - throttle can be set to idle & then advanced to full without any problem.

I've checked the coil, points, timing, fuel pump, and cleaned/adjusted the carb.  Air cleaner is good.  Seems to be a governor issue and I know absolutely nothing about ONAN governors.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by Chief Cockeye - 21 Jan 2016 at 11:11am
Sponsored Links

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 6:13am
Is the choke working? And here's the reason why I ask. Sounds like its a cold start choke problem. My neighbor had the same similar problem with his Bolens rider. Hard starting when cold, (worst in the Winter) and then once it started warming up the throttle response was normal. He asked me if I would check it out for him and I did. What I found was when you pulled the choke on, the cable stop screw loosened up from vibration, and when you pulled the choke, the choke wire was pulling through the cable stop block so the choke wasn't working. Trying to start a air cooled engine even in the summer with no choke sometimes can be a bear depending on the engine. I adjusted the cable again, tightened the screw down so the choke would operate again and he was good ta' go. Somethin' as dumb as that can make ya crazy sometimes... LOL! Who would've thought? Sometimes the fix can be easy..
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Chief Cockeye View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chief Cockeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 7:12am
Thanks, Steve,

I will check out your theory about the choke later today.  You description of your friend's motor sounds very similar to what I'm experiencing with mine.

I'll try to let you know what I found later today.

Thanks, again.

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chief Cockeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 7:38pm
BINGO!  You're da man, Steve in NJ!  Sure enough, the clamp that is SUPPOSED to hold the cable was not tight enough and allows the cable to slip.  When I thought I was choking the engine, I wasn't doing anything. 

It was about 20°F this morning & with about 1/2 choke she cranked right up.

Thanks.  If you're ever out this way I owe you a cup of hot coffee - or what ever you drink.

macvette View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macvette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 3:09pm
Yep, same thing happened to me this year when weather turned cold.  Was checking gas, point gap, everything I could think of, etc.  Couldn't figure out why, finally stood along side with hood up, pushed choke to off, was going to try again, and saw choke cable moving.

Tightened cable down where it was supposed to be, and engine started as it should.

I really feel better now that I know it has happened to someone else!  (was feeling quite foolish that I didn't immediately spot it.)
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chief Cockeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 4:29pm
Yep.  I know the feeling.  Embarrassed

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 6:22am
Glad to hear that fixed your problem Chief! Like I said, sometimes the stupiest things make you tear your hair out. Ya know, when ya think about it, we take so much for granted that ya think everthing is working the way its supposed to so you just don't think to check it I guess. We're all human. I'm just a much a victim of it as anyone else... LOL! Oh BTW, I'm a tea drinker. I don't drink coffee. But thank you for the offer! LOL!
Steve@B&B

Edited by Steve in NJ - 25 Jan 2016 at 6:25am
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic