This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD15 TRANS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.KYLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD15 TRANS
    Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 7:49pm
CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THE HD9' HD11 AND HD15 SHARE THE SAME STANDARD TRANSMISSION.
Sponsored Links

gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 6:49am
The HD15 transmission is different
R.KYLE View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.KYLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 7:50am
THANKS GEMDOZER
R.KYLE View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.KYLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 10:43am
DO THE HD15 AND HD16 SHARE THE SAME STANDARD TRANSMISSION
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 10:46am
The HD15  early HD16 had the same transmission
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 11:07am
I almost bought a HD 15 several years ago, he said that he had switched the transmission and the transmission he put in came from a truck. I rode on the dozer and the machine ran and worked ok, but I missed the sale. I don't know it this is true but that is what he said.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 12:35pm
i dont see how he could have done that.  the trans bolts to the bevel gear housing with a large flange and the pinion stays in the trans.  not enough room in front between clutch and trans for another transmission.  

on a side note, if the tractors had been done this way,  gear jump fixes would be a cinch.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
R.KYLE View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.KYLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 9:50pm
ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE EVER HERE ANY FIXES OF THIS TIPE.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 4:54am
what are you needing.  i have put input bearing on 15 and 16 and completely pulled 16 trans to install new gasket.  have not done any work inside. also have original parts books and service manual for 16

Edited by CAL(KS) - 15 Jan 2016 at 7:30am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 10:35am
So Roy, What were you looking for when you started this thread? We started with transmission comparisons and sizes. Are you working on one that we can help with? After that it seems like this thread went sideways quickly. BUTTT, just so everyone knows we can do that to.
 We did rescue an HD5 dozer once from some drugee kids that were about to fire up this HD5 that they had put a chevy 283 and 4 speed transmission in.
 photo P1140066_zpsblduezvi.jpg
They had left the tractor transmission in and had just coupled the ujoint to the trany. We have removed the engine and other non AC parts since this became a donor tractor, thinking those chevy parts weren't applicable for AC donor parts. The transmission was left for conversation piece for now. (didn't know it really would be a discussion though).  photo P1140068_zpsylisloym.jpg
So this is one of our sideways stories. The really really sad part of the story is there was nothing wrong with the 2-71 original engine!!. They had disassembled it far enough with the rocker cover off and left it out in the rain that it was pretty much scrap. We did recover all of that for donor parts if possible.  Anyway,  TRUE STORY!
R.KYLE View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.KYLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 11:27am
I HAVE A 9 AND AN 11. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A 15. JUST WONDERING IF TRANS WAS THE SAME BECAUSE 15 PARTS OF ANY KIND ARE SCARCE HERE. ISHOULD BE LOOKING AT 16 BECAUSE A FEW ARE AVAILABLE BUT I LIKE THE GM ENGINES.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 12:05am
I'll see Dan next couple of days and see if he has any parts left laying around. He isn't one to get rid of anything that might be useful in the future. I know he took the tranny out of a 15 with worn out motor and swapped it into the one I was interested in.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 10:45am
Roy, A lot of the farmers in the Sacramento Valley of Ca. liked there detroits too. A lot of HD16s had the 671s put back in them the first time the Buda/AC burped. It's not to hard to put that detroit in an HD16.
R.KYLE View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.KYLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 9:29pm
MEL IKNOW I,am changing   the subject again but I wish at some time you would post a picture of all your tractors and even more a picture of your donor yard. I ENJOY PARTS TRACTORS AS MUCH AS BRAN NEW.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 10:24pm
I went looking for a parts HD5 25 miles from home a cousin knew about.Track where a crawler had been drug next to the pavement of the place tractor was to be.Followed a mile or so into another ranchett place. See a HD5 working and drive up,old boy comes over very proud of his 300 Ford with automatic transmission out of a 1/2 ton pickup in a dozer. Didn't get within a 100 feet of as they where pushing dirt,but could see and hear no Detroit in this one. Have no idea if it lasted more than the day,but was moving when we drove away.
Dozer man View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2023 at 10:16pm
Dose anyone know if it is possible to buy new tracks for a hd 15. I found a hd 15 in really nice shape but the tracks aren’t in the best condition.    I’ve replaced undercarriages on dozers before so I understand the cost    But I’m wanted to build a new old dozer
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2023 at 8:08am
Those will be 7.850 pitch, unless find decent used no other in production machines use.  Some have gone to CAT 8.0 rails with smaller bushing diameter but is pushing the realm of technology.
Dozer man View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2023 at 5:30pm
I wonder if a guy could buy new cat 8.0 rails that are the right length and buy some bolt on sprocket segments to fit the 8.0 rails and make a ring to weld on to the hd 15 sprocket to except the new sprocket segments ?     A guy could probably call berco track and have rails made to any length.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2023 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Dozer man Dozer man wrote:

I wonder if a guy could buy new cat 8.0 rails that are the right length and buy some bolt on sprocket segments to fit the 8.0 rails and make a ring to weld on to the hd 15 sprocket to except the new sprocket segments ?     A guy could probably call berco track and have rails made to any length.

Going to be more than that to installing different chains though the idea is plausible. Remember, they have to stay on the tractor so need to fit the rollers and idlers for alignment. Anything can be done but in the end you'll have a lot of $$$ in a tractor you have limited ability to secure hard parts for if something breaks. Don't forget to factor in the wear and breakage from usage over time.

Berco is not going to be easy to work with. Complete corporate mentality nowadays and not interested in the "on off" type sales as in days gone by. Alibaba is a better bet although questionable quality you will receive if ordering there. 
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2023 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Dozer man Dozer man wrote:

Please post pictures when you do it! Smile
Dozer man View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2023 at 8:46pm
I will more than likely do it. I’m really bad about refusing to let an old piece of equipment die and u are 100%right I will have a lot of money in it. But it’s a labor of love 😂. I will post lots of pics when I do it but the under carriage on it now has some life left     
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2023 at 7:12am
Cutting the original sprocket down and welding a perimeter ring is actually a very good repair; have done similar in the past.  But you need to be accurate or the tracks and u/c wear fast. 

Can't remember if Insley, or a Northwest crawler crane we were rebuilding the undercarriage on. Had a donor sprocket with good teeth, but incorrect center hub. Took the teeth off both sprockets, and put the good teeth on the needed hub center using a large lathe and face plate for the rotation tool.

If doing it for yourself it can be justified. Attempting to sell that job nowadays would be a tough one for sure as there are a lot of hours wrapped into it. Hell, some of the filler rod that was used is now over $30.00 a pound for the build up material. Hard facing is every bit of that which would be needed also.  
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic