This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

old days of laying pipe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: old days of laying pipe
    Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 12:33pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIU9FgS4Kf8
Seen an allis-chalmers engine in the vid...
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Sponsored Links

HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 1:43pm
thats how my dads dad layed pipe he was the one in the trench doing the digging for alot of years  after years of being a prospector / miner .       be interesting to see some early trench digging equipment  probley  still a lot of leaded pipe serviceing people.    our kitchen sink still has one peice of leaded drain pipe  only piece that we didnt replace about ten years ago      
cmsmoke View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmsmoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 6:00pm
Pouring lead joints has rapidly become a lost art. I had the privelage of working with some old school fellows and watching them work. They didn't do it often, but every once in a while, tiing into an old valve or old line, it would be done. I can remember melting the lead and them saying not to burn it. Boy did it stink! I also remember while digging for them and coming across a certin type of grey clay, that they would immediately gather up and save in a large igloo style water jug and cover with damp burlap. There were several times on a large joint, that the kettle was held with a backhoe or excavator while the actual pour was made.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 9:24am
That gray clay is prominent around here, is "Fire Clay" or hydraulic clay to some, the stuff expands and contracts with moisture content up to 10 times original volume.

The oakum fibers were the actual seal, the lead formed a metallic seat for that seal to rest on, oakum also will expand as gains moisture and swell to fill the joint.  All too many worry of the old water lines leaching lead, is a very small amount if they can even test that close.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 9:46am
When I built my house the code was still cast iron underground required and leaded joints - beyond the footing outside you could use cast with rubber slip joints on belled pipe or fernco type rubber and metal over with hose clamps on hubless pipe. 
 Packing oakum , then pouring lead , then the final part was caulking the lead - using a flat ended chisel and hammer to pack lead into joint tightly to seal against oakum.
 Times sure changed with the use of PVC pipe - but then between the old cast iron and orangeburg (tar paper pipe), and transite (asbestos cement pipe), there was ABS (black plastic) as well as the white PVC - 
 Got a pipelayers license from State of MN - special license to install pipe underground in areas of less than 10,000 population - UNLICENSED PLUMBING LICENSE - Pay the money - take the class - and take out a bond - and I could install pipe from house to septic tank or city sewer.   
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 11:41am
very labor intensive !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Brian-KS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian-KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 1:59pm
In my part of the world the term "laying pipe" has a completely different meaning and the video associated with it wouldn't be suited for this website or most peoples eyes!LOL

......having said that, Thanks for posting this cool video even though it makes my back hurt to watch itLOL

Edited by Brian-KS - 01 Jan 2016 at 3:05pm
EAT BEEF!
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 10:50pm
That's a neat video, I worked DPW up tell I got hurt seven years ago. Put lots of band ads on water mains.
I also did see the allis pump in the end of the video

Edited by Mikez - 01 Jan 2016 at 10:51pm
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 4:29pm
Brian, I hear ya, when I saw the title post, the first thing came to mind was 1/2 bottle of wine for the lady!
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Brian-KS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian-KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

Brian, I hear ya, when I saw the title post, the first thing came to mind was 1/2 bottle of wine for the lady!

Thumbs UpLOL
EAT BEEF!
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Brian-KS Brian-KS wrote:

Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

Thumbs UpLOL

I was on the same page as you to were when I saw it. " I ain't a plumber, but I've laid a lot of pipe in my day "

Edited by ILGLEANER - 06 Jan 2016 at 5:37pm
Education doesn't make you smart, it makes you educated.
Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 6:54pm
Whenever I hear of lead joints, I think of a story my Dad always tells of his days as a plumber / pipefitter.

Warning..... Not for the faint of heart!

They were doing drain lines in a crawl space under a building (can't remember what building, but they were doing mostly commercial/light industrial back then) during the late 1960's - early 1970's. About a 3-4 foot tall crawl space. Anyway, one guy knocked over the hot pot (used for melting the lead) and the lead just happened to run down someone's boot. They got the guy out of there (can't remember if they called for ambulance or hauled him to the hospital themselves) and when the boot was cut off and his foot pulled out, all the "meat" fell of the bones and stayed in the boot - all that was left was bones.

Andrew

Edited by Andrew_D - 06 Jan 2016 at 6:54pm

===================================================
HD11B (S/N: 3880) ~1957
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 8:25pm
Gees you guys, this is the construction site... What did you expect to see anyways, grandpa werkin down in the trench?  LOL
  So were you dissappointed to see it was actual pipe getting laid?LOL

So IF there was a label like 'blowin some snow' you woulld probably think of a snowblower, right? LOL...

[TUBE]SCgf56POaz0[/TUBE]

[TUBE]TZR2WbD3Hz0[/TUBE]

[TUBE]alWlilgb3fQ[/TUBE]
More modern...
[TUBE]3iFj1AZm6NU[/TUBE]
Lynn tractor and snowplow...
[TUBE]LmruElFkhGg[/TUBE]

and finally another oldie... (GASP), there are cats in this one)
[TUBE]HEynlDU8VaQ[/TUBE] 

Edited by JC(WI) - 06 Jan 2016 at 8:26pm
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic